Need help understanding your bill?
rlmyers's profile

Scholar

• 

191 Messages

Saturday, July 14th, 2018 11:59 PM

The ATT Loyalty scam!

I have been a 20 + year customer.  Called Loyalty to replace my wife's iPhone 6 Plus that ATT locked me into a 3 year contract at full price.

That is over with.

So they offered me a discount on a replacement iPhone, wanted me to commit to a 2 year contract, and then increased my monthly account fees to offset all the discount.

The script from this chat is to me unbelievable.

This company is so shady with customers it is amazing that people actually accept this.

Here is the chat if you have time to look at it.

Not sure what I am going to do.

Their loyalty deal is discount the iphone.

I have to pay the entire amount upfront with taxes on the list price of the phone.

I have to commit to a 2 year contract.

And my bill get increased $480 over the contract.

Here is the chat

Diego: Hi! My name is Diego. I'm happy to help! Let's get started.

Diego: Nice to meet you Robert

Diego: I am from Loyalty department

Diego: Please let me know how can I help you today

Robert: i was talking with loyalty and deciding on what phone to buy to keep us as a customer she wants the red iphone 8 plus
Robert:  Credit card charge quoted to me was $xxx plus taxes
Robert: the idea is to replace her phone but not drive my monthly cost higher.
Diego: I will certainly use all avilable resources to help you today

Diego: May I know the line number you are looking to upgrade?

Robert:  replacing her iphone 6 plus
Diego: Great!

Robert: she wants red
Diego: Nice

Robert: i was told I would have to pay entire amount up front no problem I want to keep my plans all the same just a new phone for her
Diego: ok

Diego: I was reading the notations from previous conversation

Robert: ok
Diego: We are totally able to honor the 2 year agreement which is the one providing the $450.00 off under the full retail price

Diego: Remember the monthly Access Fee of the line will change

Robert: you know I have a problem with this why would I pay $500 more in access fees for a new phone. This is enough to drive me away as a customer
Diego: Sorry to hear that

Diego: AAppreciate the feedback

Robert: so you offer me a discount then take it all away with adding access fees
Diego: Not at all

Diego: As you can see in all your bills from the very beginning

Diego: The Access Fee has always been charged

Diego: The Access Fee is $40.00

Diego: However when one line is out of contract, the line receives a monthly discount called "Discount For Access" for $20.00

Diego: Reducing the Access Fee from $40.00 down to $20.00

Diego: If we make the upgrade through a 2 year agreement, the line would lose the "Discount For Access"

Robert: now I am pay $20 a month access fee, and my new monthly fee will be $40 is that correct
Diego: The Access Fee is alwasy $40.00

Diego: alwasy*

Diego: always*

Diego: Just that now that you are not under contract, you are receiving a monthly discount called "Discount For Access for $20.00

Diego: Which reduce the Access Fee from $40.00 down to $20.00

Diego: By upgrading through a 2 year agreement, the line would lose the Discount For Access

Robert: so If I buy this phone will my month bill increase if I committ to two years which I will do I should not have to pay more
Diego: Leaving the Access Fee to its original amount

Diego: Of $40.00

Robert: that makes no sense how can you keep customers who are willing to extend their contract and charge them more
Diego: Remember the Access Fee is not related to the device at all

Diego: The device gets a $450.00 discount

Diego: The Access Fee is the service itself

Robert: so buying a new phone my monthly fee increases $20 and I also commit two more years to you
Diego: Just the line you upgrade would be attached to the 2 year agreement

Robert: I understand that but will my bill incease $20 a month
Diego: Yes, that is correct

Robert: So why would anyone do this????????
Diego: To save $450.00

Diego: Ina brand new device

Robert: but I am not saving anything it is costing me $20 more per month and I extending my commitment to you
Robert: That's not a good loyalty arrangement
Diego: thanks so much for the feedback

Robert: don't be suprised if I change to verizon, sprint, etc.
Diego: I am working with the best available options for loyal customers

Diego: I'd rather be honest with the right information and expectations about the details of the options

Robert: I am willing to buy the phone and give two years committment to att but not increase my monthly bill
Diego: Thanks so much for that expectation

Diego: Unfortunately

Diego: The Access Fee would change

Diego: Raising the service

Robert: what do I get for paying more access fee
Diego: Exactly the same service

Diego: The Access Fee is always $40.00

Robert: but know I am paying $20 how did that happen
Diego: the Access Fee is always $40.00

Diego: And yes

Diego: You have a $20.00 of the Discount for Access

Robert: so why can you not give me the same discount
Diego: Cause that discount is applied by the systenm itself

Diego: And once the system detects you are under contract

Diego: The system will stop to apply the discount

Robert: so can I buy the phone and not do a contract
Diego: Yes, by paying the full retail price

Diego: You would totally own the device

Robert: I can wait to post this chat on the forums for people to look at this is unbelievable
Diego: I am totally sure about the information I am providing

Diego: I'd rather be honest than giving you false expectations and lies

Robert: it makes no sense why give a discount to someone for loyalty and lock them in a long term contract and raise their monthly fees to completely take away the discount.
Diego: I can perfectly understand your point of view Robert

Robert: so currently we are under no contract with att for mobile service we are paying month to month and can leave anytime for any reason
Diego: Correct Robert, you are not under contract

Robert: so I would think that att would want to put its good customers back under contract to retain them by making them deals
Diego: What do you mean?

Robert: it seems that att would want to have their customers under contract
Diego: This is an exception here in loyalty department we can make for you to upgrade the device and get a discounted price device

Robert: ok i am listening
Diego: is the one offered above

Diego: Upgrading the line through a 2 year agreement

Diego: You will get $450.00 discount under the full retail price

Robert: i am waiting for the exception
Diego: that is the one

Diego: Cause we are no longer using contracts to get devices

Diego: Regular customers must pay the full retail price

Diego: Through monthly payments in a 24 or 30 month length

Diego: It is called Installment Plan

Robert: so is it $350/24 installment plan
Diego: Which device?

Robert: iphone 8 plus red
Diego: The iPhone 8 Plus 64Gb has a full retail price of $799.99. The monthly payment would be $26.67 in a 30 months or $33.34 in 24 months length

Robert: so where is the $450 discount
Diego: The $450.00 is with the 2 year

Diego: Which requires and upfront payment of the reduced price of the device

Diego: In this case, the iPhone 8 Plus 64Gb would be $349.99 plus taxes

Robert: ok you said looking above an exception: $450 discount, 2 year contract, upgrading the through a 2 year contract that is deal that has the higher access fee I fail to see what is the exception
Diego: I am explaining

Diego: that the first option I quote

Diego: And theo one you were quote last chat

Diego: is the very same

Diego: 2 year agreement

Diego: Which is already an exception

Diego: Cause we are not using contracts anmymore

Diego: So yes

Diego: it is an exception

Robert: so can i buy the phone and keep my month fee the same
Robert: I am certainly never going to do an installment at list price ever with att again. and you sold me bogus insurance
Diego: Remember the 2 year agreement would lose the Discount for Access

Diego: Raising

Diego: to its original amount of $40.00

Diego: Just checking to see if you are there so we can continue.

Robert: so we are back to where we started. sorry but we have nothing here to
Diego: I am explaining the details so you can make the best decision for your service

Diego: let me know how we should proceed

Robert: my best decision is to start looking for a new carrier.
Diego: I understand your decision

Diego: I am leaving notations in your account about our interaction

Robert: I have to go. Thank you for your time.
Diego: So we can honor the option anytime if you change your mind

Diego: You can use the chat ID as reference as well:

Diego:
Diego: I really appreciate your time and patience today in chat with me

Diego: Remember you chatted with me

Diego: with Diego

Diego: Thank you for choosing AT&T! We appreciate your business.

Diego: have a great day!

Thank you for chatting with us today. The agent has left this conversation. Please continue to browse our website and use our self-service options.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

6 years ago

@rlmyers

If this is supposed to be news, it’s not.  4.5 years ago ATT and Verizon followed T-mobiles lead to ‘uncarrier’ all carriers.   The plans at the time gave customers 2 choices to buy new phones from them.

1.  2 year service contract.  Phones were purchased at a discount but the offset was a higher line fee ($40).  The result was sometimes paying more than retail over the 2 year service contract.  Service contracts had an ETF (early termination fee) if you cancel service. 

2.   Next installment, no service contract phone purchase.  Essentially a 0 interest loan to buy a phone over 24 or 30 months.  Price is retail.  Customers can chose to make a deposit to lower monthly payments.  At the time the discount for a line out of contract was $15 for data plans under 10 gigs or $25 for data plans over 10 gigs.  That discount off the $40 line fee made the line fee $15 or $25.    Phones could be paid off in full for a lower monthly bill.  Or phones could be bought at full price, no financing.  

For another 2 years customers could pick either option.  On 1/8/2016 ATT stopped offering 2 year contracts.   

Once in a while loyalty offers a contract again, but the caviat is still a loss of discount, which increases the net line fee to $40.  

So the short version.... yes, you have to pay full price for phones, one way or another.  Since we are in the same boat it’s not news and it’s the way it is, get used to it.  

BTW.... I left Verizon and a $360 a month bill for this option to lower my bill.  I buy phones at full price.  Often not from ATT.  My bill is usually about $200 for 4 phones and 2 tablets and a 20 gig data plan.  

Final.... I can almost guarantee you will pay more for service if you switch carriers.  The $15 line fees are gone and carriers are charging more now than 4 years ago.  Do the math.

Scholar

• 

191 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for your reply.  You make sense.

The old saying "There is no free lunch"  is probably now more applicable then ever.

It used to be, that's how long I have been around, that ATT loyalty retention, really cared about it's customers.

They always went out of their way to help you.

Sadly, those days are gone.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

6 years ago

@rlmyers

Cellular isnt what it was.  Used to be you signed up for 2 year, and went through angst at the end, almost always signing up again.  

Not now.  Carriers have been at war for 4.5 years, fighting for customers to switch mid stream.  Phones can be unlocked and are often compatible with other carriers.  Prepaid carriers are doing a booming business.  

If you do shop around (and I encourage you to do so), number one is coverage.  No savings is worth having no coverage.  

Im very concerned with ATT customer service.  Just this week Inspoke with a clueless rep who did not understand or answer my question.  I hung up.   I have one phone on Verizon prepaid.  I’m a 2 fisted user, personal and business.  Coverage between the 2 is equal....cant say equally good, or equally bad.   Waiting for T-mobile.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

6 years ago

@rlmyers, there was never a free lunch. Carriers used to charge more and lock you into contracts to hide the costs of the phone. Now the costs of the phone is transparent, but plans are less expensive (overall) and you aren’t locked in to a contract. 

Tutor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

you're absolutely right!! AT&T is terrible. I ordered the internet and Direct TV Now on June 30,2018, I originally was scheduled an appointment for installation on July 3rd. The technician came walked through the apartment and told me he couldn't install the internet due to the wiring not being fiber, he suggested that I reschedule the appointment. I did reschedule for July 6th, the tech never came and the bad part is that they couldn't even find my appointment in their system. This happened six more times. Today the tech came and he couldn't complete my order due to not being able to get into the boiler room which can only be opened by building maintenance. The building maintenance only come out on appointments and only on Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays. So I called to schedule another appointment and was transferred to two people and on the second call I was told that I would be transferred to a senior technician but I had to wait on hold for twenty to thirty minutes. I asked for to be called back when the senior agent is on the phone and it's been almost an hour and still no call. I would cancel the service all together but unfortunately AT&T is the only network that service my area. But the bottom line is AT&T is so incompetent and unreliable. I've never had this problem ever, and I'm so disappointed in AT&T plus they only offered me $25.00 for my troubles, I took two days off work waiting on a technician that never came I am so done with them!!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

get used to this peeps. Back in the day, Western Electric was the parent monopoly. They were forced by the government to split of their entities into different companies based on the services they provided. That brought us the baby Bell's (Pac-Bell, Southwestern Bell, etc.) When AT&T took on a larger portion, they were forced to split again, i.e. Lucent Technologies (you know, the bloody bunghole). Somehow, they kept swallowing up every telecom company they could.

When I decided to bite the bullet and switch from Sprint to AT&T back in 09, I was pleasantly surprised at the way their customer service and options included in contracts had improved.  I got a brand new, 2nd generation iPhone for each of 3 lines and only had to pay the activation fee plus a penny. fast forward to 2015. After 5 plus years of loyal patronage, they reverted to installment purchases of equipment they licensed through manufacturers. AT&T has never manufactured their own devices, but they have agreements in place with Samsung, Apple and LG that corner the market. remember a couple of years ago, AT&T was the only option to get an Apple iPhone?

Its only going to get worse from here on out because congress is approving the mergers of AT&T and Time Warner. all in time for the repeal of the Net Neutrality laws to begin taking effect.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

6 years ago

@paulybagodonutz wrote:

get used to this peeps. Back in the day, Western Electric was the parent monopoly. They were forced by the government to split of their entities into different companies based on the services they provided. That brought us the baby Bell's (Pac-Bell, Southwestern Bell, etc.) When AT&T took on a larger portion, they were forced to split again, i.e. Lucent Technologies (you know, the bloody bunghole). Somehow, they kept swallowing up every telecom company they could.

When I decided to bite the bullet and switch from Sprint to AT&T back in 09, I was pleasantly surprised at the way their customer service and options included in contracts had improved.  I got a brand new, 2nd generation iPhone for each of 3 lines and only had to pay the activation fee plus a penny. fast forward to 2015. After 5 plus years of loyal patronage, they reverted to installment purchases of equipment they licensed through manufacturers. AT&T has never manufactured their own devices, but they have agreements in place with Samsung, Apple and LG that corner the market. remember a couple of years ago, AT&T was the only option to get an Apple iPhone?

Its only going to get worse from here on out because congress is approving the mergers of AT&T and Time Warner. all in time for the repeal of the Net Neutrality laws to begin taking effect.

Your confused about the history of telecom service and products, but that is completely irrelevant. 

They offer installment agreements as a service to customers who would like a loan to buy a phone rather than pay $800+ all at once. That's by no means required. You don't even have to purchase from AT&T. I'm not sure why you think cell phone manufacturers that sell phones for various networks help AT&T "corner the market."

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Same problem , att loyalty!! Ha I have spent countless hours on the phone w them. They drive me insane , repetitive lies. Ask to speak w someone else a supervisor , not available will call you back, but they don’t. It’s been such a mental anguish issue that I have noted all names, times, I’ve been nice and hung up on, one guy verbally abused me, he talked to me like an abusive husband. I despise att customer service and I don’t have the time to deal with them on every hour I have off from work. They are the worst ever. Do not honor plans or verbal agreements they can never locate the recorded phone calls ! I’m with you att is a scam 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

did you ever hear back? Im going through this right now...the have "upgraded me to ICU" is there such a thing? This is unreal

Tutor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I agree - I am a 10+ year ATT customer with 5 line family plan, been beating my head against a wall trying to get some straight info from their "loyalty department" about upgrading our phones.  Was told they would only charge $299/ phone for XR, but would have to sign a two year contract, but all current fees would stay the same.  I asked the guy to put in writing in my record, and when i called back to order,  they now decide to more than double my monthly per line fee!   That extra fee completely wipes out any savings from the phone, and was completely hidden from me on the first call.  Total scam !   What kind of "loyalty" are they trying to drive with their long time, high revenue customers?  I am going to investigate Verizon and T-Mobile today and see what their offers are.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.