Need help understanding your bill?
jdcole1165's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, July 30th, 2018 8:53 PM

Terrible Customer Service Agent - LIED TO ME

I called customer service today when I found that my bill was a few dollars higher than normal.  I called ATT and was told that ALL 3 gig accounts had be been arbitrarily changed to 6 gig (with a rate increase to go with it), without customer authorization because AT&T decided their customers wanted more band width, and I did not have an option to go back to the lower plan. When I asked to speak to a manager that could fix the issue he told me that even a manager could not fix my problem.  When I told him that ATT broke the law by changing the terms of our contract without all parties agreeing to the change, he told me he was transferring me to the cancellation department.  I said "Yes, please send me to escalations" and he said "Not escalations, cancellations" and hit the transfer button.  When the cancellations department answered and I went through the entire issue AGAIN, the gentleman in cancellations had my account changed in less than 5 minutes.  He looked to see if the first agent had made notation on my account, but low and behold, he had not (against ATT rules).  It's bad enough that we have to pay such outrageous amounts for cell and internet services, but to have a company just arbitrarily change my account without my authorization is not acceptable.   Then I get told falsehoods by the employees when I try to make them correct their error.  Per the 1st agent I spoke with, I have 10 months left under my contract.  ATT needs to show me they want to keep my business if they want me to renew.  I have had my current cell and internet service with AT&T for about 16 years, but will move on to greener pastures if their customer service does not improve.  Every encounter I have had with AT&T customer service has been terrible. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Yes, ATT can change your plan without your authorization, You might want to read the wireless agreement that all of us customers agreed to. There is an entire paragraph stating that. I’m still not sure what the lie was but everyone on a Mobile Share Advantage plan got a price increase and data doubled. Your options are to accept the increase, change to a different plan or change to a different carrier. As for your “contract”, you are likely not on a contract, you probably have 10 payments left on a phone. You can pay that phone off anytime and leave. ATT doesn’t do service contracts for phone lines anymore.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

6 years ago

@jdcole1165 wrote:

I called customer service today when I found that my bill was a few dollars higher than normal.  I called ATT and was told that ALL 3 gig accounts had be been arbitrarily changed to 6 gig (with a rate increase to go with it), without customer authorization because AT&T decided their customers wanted more band width, and I did not have an option to go back to the lower plan. When I asked to speak to a manager that could fix the issue he told me that even a manager could not fix my problem.  When I told him that ATT broke the law by changing the terms of our contract without all parties agreeing to the change, he told me he was transferring me to the cancellation department.  I said "Yes, please send me to escalations" and he said "Not escalations, cancellations" and hit the transfer button.  When the cancellations department answered and I went through the entire issue AGAIN, the gentleman in cancellations had my account changed in less than 5 minutes.  He looked to see if the first agent had made notation on my account, but low and behold, he had not (against ATT rules).  It's bad enough that we have to pay such outrageous amounts for cell and internet services, but to have a company just arbitrarily change my account without my authorization is not acceptable.   Then I get told falsehoods by the employees when I try to make them correct their error.  Per the 1st agent I spoke with, I have 10 months left under my contract.  ATT needs to show me they want to keep my business if they want me to renew.  I have had my current cell and internet service with AT&T for about 16 years, but will move on to greener pastures if their customer service does not improve.  Every encounter I have had with AT&T customer service has been terrible. 

You don't have a contract at all. AT&T has the right to change what plans it offers, what those plans include, and how much they cost at any time. They don't need your permission, just like the grocer doesn't need your permission to change the products it sells, or the car dealer doesn't need your permission to sell the latest model instead of last year's. If you were under a contract, you would have the option to opt out of the contract with no penalty if that happened. However, since you don't have a contract, you can just leave if you don't like the plan you have. 

I'd be surprised if your plan is the same as it was before. It's my understanding that there's no such thing as a Mobile Share Advantage plan with 3 GB of data. If there is something the rep did, keep an eye on your account to make sure the change isn't temporary. I suppose it's also possible the loyalty department has a $5 monthly credit they can offer ...but I'd bet that is temporary, too. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I do have a  contract with AT&T. I agreed to a certain plan at a certain rate and if I tried to go to a different carrier I would have to pay a termination fee. Because of the agreement I signed AT&T CANNOT just arbitrarily change my plan without my consent.  Obviously you work for AT&T to defend their actions. If not....watch your bill because they will get you too eventually.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Then I guess I will be changing carriers. I've had a gut full of AT&T. I'm not going to pay for something I don't use or need. I have only stayed with AT&T out of laziness to find a new carrier but you guys just gave me the boost I need.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

I don’t work for ATT and I’m not defending anything, I am just giving you the facts. You are not on a contract unless you bought a phone at a 2 year contract price and ATT quit doing that over 2 years ago. Even if you are on a contract, ATT can still change your plan. They should let you out of your contract with no ETF but they can still change your plan. Since you apparently won’t look at the wireless agreement I mentioned, I’ll post it for you:

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement.html#canAttChangeMyTermsRates

1.3 Can AT&T Change My Terms And Rates?

We may change any terms, conditions, rates, fees, expenses, or charges regarding your Services at any time. We will provide you with notice of material changes (other than changes to governmental fees, proportional charges for governmental mandates, roaming rates or administrative charges) either in your monthly bill or separately. You understand and agree that State and Federal Universal Service Fees and other governmentally imposed fees, whether or not assessed directly upon you, may be increased based upon the government's or our calculations.

IF WE INCREASE THE PRICE OF ANY OF THE SERVICES TO WHICH YOU SUBSCRIBE, BEYOND THE LIMITS SET FORTH IN YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUMMARY, OR IF WE MATERIALLY DECREASE THE GEOGRAPHICAL AREA IN WHICH YOUR AIRTIME RATE APPLIES (OTHER THAN A TEMPORARY DECREASE FOR REPAIRS OR MAINTENANCE), WE'LL DISCLOSE THE CHANGE AT LEAST ONE BILLING CYCLE IN ADVANCE (EITHER THROUGH A NOTICE WITH YOUR BILL, A TEXT MESSAGE TO YOUR DEVICE, OR OTHERWISE), AND YOU MAY TERMINATE THIS AGREEMENT WITHOUT PAYING AN EARLY TERMINATION FEE OR RETURNING OR PAYING FOR ANY PROMOTIONAL ITEMS, PROVIDED YOUR NOTICE OF TERMINATION IS DELIVERED TO US WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER THE FIRST BILL REFLECTING THE CHANGE.

If you lose your eligibility for a particular rate plan, we may change your rate plan to one for which you qualify.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

6 years ago

@jdcole1165

FYI all carriers have a monkey see, monkey do thing going on.  Since NO CARRIER has contracts anymore, they can all make changes to retired plans and have done so.

Verizon raised its expired unlimited data plan by $20 all at once, increasing its line fees from $30 to $50.  

ATT raised its legacy unlimited by $5, Then did it again.  

The only obligation you have to ATT is the agreement to pay off your phones in full over time, or all at once, and your current months bill.   

This is the new business model all carriers are using.  

FYI read your bill details.  If you have balances on your phones Next installments, those amounts will be due in full immediately if you cancel service.  

Tutor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

That’s an outright lie. I’m a Verizon customer (I was looking through the forums because my sister is having horrible trouble with AT&T customer service right now) and Verizon grandfathers all their plans. They most certainly do not raise rates if you had that plan before their rate increase. I have unlimited data and have been a customer for ten years, and not once have they EVER raised my bill without my consent, and my service plan still has a line access fee of only $20 for every single smartphone I have (all of which are the newest iPhone). I’m a little disturbed you are considered a “Community Excellence Achiever” in these forums but are posting lies in order to defend this company and make an obviously shady act by this company look "okay”. I have attached a picture to show that line access is not “$50” (I blocked out all my personal information because now it seems that everyone attached to AT&T is incredibly shady). Before, I had no concern with which company she used and that is why I was trying to get her assistance. Now after reading that and seeing the other replies on various posts where the overall response is to “blame the consumer”, I’ve suggested she switch to Verizon immediately and she will be calling them today.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Cringed, you have a different plan from the plan @lizdance40 was referring to. 

https://www.bing.com/search?q=verizon+unlimited+price+increase&PC=U316&FORM=CHROMN

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Cringed You perhaps should check your facts before calling something a lie, or at least say you think they are wrong. Verizon did indeed raise the price of an old unlimited plan $20 in 2015: https://money.cnn.com/2015/10/08/technology/verizon-unlimited-plan-increase/index.html

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.