Telemarketers Calling Mobile Phones

Tutor

Telemarketers Calling Mobile Phones

For the past 1-1/2 months a telemarketer has called my mobile phone 6 times. I don't answer as I do not pick up unknown numbers.  I have my number on the National DNC list (a lot of good that does). I will be reporting them to the FCC next time. Until then, I have been told that other carriers offer a call blocking service for their customers. Why doesn't AT&T?  This should be a free service offered now that telemarketers have obtained mobile numbers.

Message 1 of 29 (8,693 Views)
Expert

Re: Telemarketers Calling Mobile Phones

Devra wrote:

For the past 1-1/2 months a telemarketer has called my mobile phone 6 times. I don't answer as I do not pick up unknown numbers.  I have my number on the National DNC list (a lot of good that does). I will be reporting them to the FCC next time. Until then, I have been told that other carriers offer a call blocking service for their customers. Why doesn't AT&T?  This should be a free service offered now that telemarketers have obtained mobile numbers.

ATT does, it is just not free same as verizon, they charge also

"

Contact Verizon Wireless and add "Usage Controls" to your service plan. This service is not included in the base Verizon package, and costs about $5 per month as of the time of publication. "Usage Controls" is not strictly a call-blocking service, but it includes call blocking as part of a package that also lets you control usage allowance, time restrictions and trusted numbers. Add the service and wait for it to take effect, which can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.

Message 2 of 29 (8,671 Views)
Solution
Accepted by jamileh (Former Community Manager)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Smart limits is $4.99 a month.

It's a service AT&T provides to block numbers, to control usage on the line, and set limits.

It is your choice whether or not you want to purchase it, but if not I suggest you attempt to get more info about the telemarketers contacting you and file a complaint with the FCC.

Message 3 of 29 (8,665 Views)
Teacher

I certainly agree with you. Blocking phone numbers should be free of charge. After all, it's a big part of customer service. Besides, it's not our fault telemarketers call people, even those on the DNC list. They should be fined for that, not us. 

Message 4 of 29 (8,578 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

By the way, just in case telemarketers read these responses, I'm reporting you guys to FCC everytime you call me. I've been posting every phone number to http://www.callercenter.com. 

And don't be too confident when you're keeping your number private because I have a way to know who owns it. Maybe you're still operating right now.. But call me one time and I'll do all I can to put you out of business.

Message 5 of 29 (8,578 Views)
Mentor

Hate to burst your bubble, but Verizon does offer it for free.  Yes there is a package that includes it, but if all you need is call blocking, then yes it is free.  I had a person calling my daughters phone, even after being told she had the wrong number.  Called Verizon and they suggested I just block the number, which is free for I think 5 numbers.

Message 6 of 29 (8,577 Views)
Expert

Droidrulez wrote:

Hate to burst your bubble, but Verizon does offer it for free.  Yes there is a package that includes it, but if all you need is call blocking, then yes it is free.  I had a person calling my daughters phone, even after being told she had the wrong number.  Called Verizon and they suggested I just block the number, which is free for I think 5 numbers.

Not according to their website - 4.99 a month per line

https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/nos/uc/uc_home.jsp

Message 7 of 29 (8,569 Views)
Contributor

Can't block the number if its coming in as "BLOCKED" or "UNKNOWN". That's the problem! I just saw a news report a few days ago where someone took it to the high federal level and they won against scavenger collection companies and telemarketers blowing up cell phones. Have to dig for the link again.... BIG plus for cell phone owners! WE pay for these seconds of time on the plans, not the telemarketers!

Message 8 of 29 (8,563 Views)
Mentor

As I said originally, yes there is the version that you can pay for that gives you more numbers, but Verizon gives you 5 FREE numbers.

Message 9 of 29 (8,534 Views)
Expert

Droidrulez wrote:

As I said originally, yes there is the version that you can pay for that gives you more numbers, but Verizon gives you 5 FREE numbers.

got a link for that? have nnever seen it

Message 10 of 29 (8,527 Views)
Mentor

No I don't.  It's in our account tools when we log in.  Can't link to that.  I have one number blocked on my daughters line right now, and I'm not paying that $4.99 a month.  In addition to the 5 phone numbers, we can block 15 email addresses.

Message 11 of 29 (8,306 Views)
Mentor

Sorry couldn't find it earlier, but here is the information you wanted.

What are Spam Controls?

Spam Controls enable you to block unwanted messages. Spam Controls consist of two services, Call & Message Blocking and Internet Spam Controls. Verizon Wireless provides these free features to block certain phone numbers and Internet addresses from contacting you.

And the link so you can read it for yourself if you prefer.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/Features%20and%20Optional%20Services/spam_controls.html

Message 12 of 29 (8,308 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Update - I filed a complaint with the FCC on 1/15/2012.  The calls stopped for a while but are starting back up again.  Same phone number, calling 2-3/day.  I have written the FCC again and have continued to file complaints with the DNC.  This is a waste of time in my opinion.  AT&T should consider providing a call block service as part of our calling plan (at least for up to 5 numbers as Verizon does).  We pay for our service and should not have to pay an additional $5.00/month to call block.  In case anyone wants to know who the annoying phone number is for this telemarketer, it's 503-4***** and, when Googled, it comes up with thousands of complaints as a home security telemarketer.  If someone knows how to get the name of this company, I'd like to know.  I am extremely irritated that they managed to get my mobile phone which is suppose to be private.  AT&T, get with the program and give your customers (at the very least) a FREE limited call block service!!!  By the way, I also get calls from the following who also are reportedely from home security telemarketers (425-3***** & 360-5*****) - probably the same company just trying different numbers to "sneak" through.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 13 of 29 (8,269 Views)
Tutor

Thank you for your input regarding Verizon providing a "limited" call block service for free.  I have posted an update to these annoying calls.  I would certainly hope AT&T considers providing the same service to it's customers but, I'm not holding my breath.

Message 14 of 29 (8,270 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Same here sent a complaint to AT&T, I am on the DNC (aggree with previous poster think the gov was hacked to obtain DNC list and I also filed at the www.callercenter.com to report
This is an infringement of our consititutional rights!
Here are a list of annoying numbers:
9712********

5026********

2025********

9093********

2025********

I'm afriad after emailing AT&T noting will be done about it

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 15 of 29 (8,253 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.