Need help understanding your bill?
FallenAnjel's profile

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

Friday, July 4th, 2014 11:08 PM

Closed

Switching to Cricket

I have received my Sim card in the mail.  Is there anything I need to do w/ ATT before I just switch over?   I will back up my iphone before putting in the  new Sim Card but will I lose anything or will anything not work the same?   Will I be able to still talk adn surf?   (I do that quite often)   I realize the last quesiton should have been asked before I bout the cricket sim so no worries.  

Shold I call ATT and tell them I'm switching?  I've never switched cell providors before so IDK how this will pan out.  

Thanks.  

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

Hi FallenAnjel,

There are a few things you should know about switching and in particular to Cricket or any other CDMA network. 

You need to have an unlocked iPhone in order to use their service. As Cricket is a CDMA network you would not be able to use that device on their network. Apple also has an activation flow that the device must go though when a forgien SIM is inserted into the device that may force you to fully reset the phone. 

You won't be able to talk and surf the internet at the sametime, this is a network feature used for GSM networks, such as AT&T. 

You don't need to contact AT&T to tell them that you are swiching, but your service will be continued until you cancel it, or port your number out. 

I would highly recommend looking at staying with AT&T and exploring our GoPhone or new Mobile Share value plans, they can save you a lot of money while giving you access to our large 4G and LTE networks. 

Hope thie helps!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

But you CAN switch to Cricket from ATnT and it works better and is cheaper, now that it's 2018.  I do not know specifically about I-Phones but if you want to tether you must purchase one phone that is (a) a Cricket phone, and (b) that Cricket specifies will allow hotspotting, they have a list.  It will cost you $10 more to activate tethering.  I have an unlimited plan with three unlimited phones on it and it costs me less than $100.  They currently have a deal where you can get four lines of unlimited everything (except tethering as per device $10 as stated above) for $100.  Prepaid.  No ifs, ands, or buts, no hidden fees, surcharges or taxes, no strings attached.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@little_birdy2 FYI, you replied to a 4 year old thread. ATT did not own Cricket then and the networks were totally different. As for working better now, if you think so but it is the exact same network as ATT. Regarding iphones, you do not need a Cricket phone to tether or use hotspot. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Wow, quick response there!  My reason for posting on an old thread is that I have been with AT&T for five long years, and never switched before now because there was no place to go here, where I live, as far as I knew.  Searches did not tell me about Cricket, this forum did not tell me about Cricket, and I think it's only fair that anyone on AT&T has all the information they need whether to spend more than 100% more for their needed service, for some it's worth it I am sure.  I am sure there are others who live somewhere that Cricket is an option but they don't know to check it out yet, that was my whole purpose in posting here now.

I replied to this post because after searching for "Switching to Cricket" it is the only thing that appeared. 

Actually, I did not think I was going to be allowed to sign in as a non-AT&T customer ; )

• 

4.4K Messages

5 years ago

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.