Need help understanding your bill?
davidg4781's profile

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

Monday, June 3rd, 2013 5:36 AM

Switching to AT&T in a couple of weeks.. Any suggestions?

I'm planning on switching to AT&T from Sprint in a couple of weeks.  I'm almost certain I should be able to leave Sprint ETF free (I live in an area completely not supported by Sprint).  

I haven't had to switch carriers in about 8 years so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.  Keep my number or get a new AT&T one?  

I'm not going to get a new phone for my line as I'm waiting for the next iPhone but the other lines will be getting new ones. 

Does AT&T offer any kind of incentives for people switching carriers?  I want to make sure I don't miss out on this.  I'm also wanting to bundle this with my home U-verse.  Any suggestions on that?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@davidg4781 wrote:
Oh, another question. What is the best way to sign up for service? AT&T store? Online? Over the phone? I have a FAN # for a 20% discount on service so I want to make sure this is added right away.

1. Your FAN discount for Sprint may not apply for att, it depends on what company or organization handles it, it takes a couple of billing cycle's to get it applied if it is possible. Unless the FAN agreement states it, the discount is only applied to the voice portion of the bill, if family plan only the main number. On a mobile share plan it is only applied to the voice / text / data portion of the bill, not on any devices.

2. What phone are you using right now? Chances are high it will not work at all on ATT's network, Sprint is CDMA and ATT is GSM, two totally uncompatible networks. I know verizon's Iphone 5 has the GSM portion of the phone unlocked for domestic use but have never seen anything documented for the Sprint Iphone 5 having the same setup. Suspect you will have to get a new phone immediately when you switch.

3. Port or a new number, that is your choice - how many people have your old number and how much of a pain will it be to send everyone you know or deal with the new number.

4. Have rarely seen and incentives by any carrier for switching.

5. You might be in for a huge let down on the no etf issue, no carrier pormises 100 percent coverage in 100 percent of their service area, no or poor service coverage is not normally allowed as a no etf exit from your contract, this is documented in the terms of service for the carrier

Good luck,

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

11 years ago

Oh, another question. What is the best way to sign up for service? AT&T store? Online? Over the phone? I have a FAN # for a 20% discount on service so I want to make sure this is added right away.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

To add to the need for new numbers answer, this is going to depend on whether or not everyone on your family plan has numbers that are in the same geographical market.  If not, someone will have to get a new number because AT&T doesn't combine numbers from different markets onto one family plan.

You mentioned bundling with U-Verse.  I think that I remember reading a response from someone else recently that said that AT&T Mobility and AT&T U-Verse services could not be bundled.  I will tag my post with this so that hopefully, one of our U-Verse experts will see this and chime in on it.

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

11 years ago

1. They're different FAN discounts, Sprint's 25%, AT&T's 20%.  The pdf I downloaded says we save on qualified voice and data plans.  I'm not sure the last time it's been updated, but it mentions exclusive devices like the iPhone 4S.

2. I'm using a Sprint iPhone 4S.  I have an AT&T iPhone 3G sitting around.  I can use that but I would like to upgrade to a 3GS to use iCloud.  I'll use this for a few months then upgrade to the next iPhone.

3. I'll have to think of this one.  It's a hassle to get everyone to change my number in their address book but I'd stil feel more complete with an AT&T number.  This is just my own personal preference. 

4. That sucks.  I think I remember something like that.. back in the '90s. Smiley Frustrated

5. I'll call again tomorrow to get 100% clarification on this.  I moved up here 3 years ago.  There is absolutely 0 Sprint coverege.  Their map has a huge white spot.  ZIP is 77975 if anyone wants to look that up.  When I moved up  here I called to ask what options I had and they offered to let me go.  I didn't want to since it's a hassle and I wasn't planning on staying here long, so I stuck it out and got an AIRAVE.  3 years later, I'm still here.  I've called a few other times asking about if a tower will be erected around here and each time they sent me over to Retentions and I was offered to leave my contract ETF free.  I'll update this when I get an answer tomorrow. 

So where's the best place to sign up for this?  At an AT&T store?  Online?  Over the phone?  I can't believe I'm so excited about switching to AT&T.  I've always been annoyed by them, mainly the painful maze of questions when calling in to customer service.  I also had terrible issues when switching from DSL to U-verse, but so far it's working great.  I'm just excited to be able to use my iPhone whenever and wherever I want to. 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@davidg4781 wrote:

1. They're different FAN discounts, Sprint's 25%, AT&T's 20%.  The pdf I downloaded says we save on qualified voice and data plans.  I'm not sure the last time it's been updated, but it mentions exclusive devices like the iPhone 4S.

2. I'm using a Sprint iPhone 4S.  I have an AT&T iPhone 3G sitting around.  I can use that but I would like to upgrade to a 3GS to use iCloud.  I'll use this for a few months then upgrade to the next iPhone.

3. I'll have to think of this one.  It's a hassle to get everyone to change my number in their address book but I'd stil feel more complete with an AT&T number.  This is just my own personal preference. 

4. That sucks.  I think I remember something like that.. back in the '90s. Smiley Frustrated

5. I'll call again tomorrow to get 100% clarification on this.  I moved up here 3 years ago.  There is absolutely 0 Sprint coverege.  Their map has a huge white spot.  ZIP is 77975 if anyone wants to look that up.  When I moved up  here I called to ask what options I had and they offered to let me go.  I didn't want to since it's a hassle and I wasn't planning on staying here long, so I stuck it out and got an AIRAVE.  3 years later, I'm still here.  I've called a few other times asking about if a tower will be erected around here and each time they sent me over to Retentions and I was offered to leave my contract ETF free.  I'll update this when I get an answer tomorrow. 

So where's the best place to sign up for this?  At an AT&T store?  Online?  Over the phone?  I can't believe I'm so excited about switching to AT&T.  I've always been annoyed by them, mainly the painful maze of questions when calling in to customer service.  I also had terrible issues when switching from DSL to U-verse, but so far it's working great.  I'm just excited to be able to use my iPhone whenever and wherever I want to. 

Personally I always prefer face to face contact, but that is me. You are going in with a no contract plan, not a common occurrence so the store route would probably be the most logical location - just make sure it is a corporate store.

As far as your discount for data goes, it has been mentioned that the mobile share plan is qualified for the discount on the voice / text / data, other then that I believe the only other data plan that is qualified is the 5GB tethering plan. even with 1 phone the mobile share might be a good choice for you - unlimited talk and text and you pick the amount of data you want.

Good luck.

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

11 years ago

I called up Sprint and AT&T today.  Gosh it's annoying that they won't give pricings of the packages over the phone.  Instead they ask what you plan on doing with your phone and recommend a package.  They recommended the 10GB one.  Next time I call I'll tell them that we only use it for light browsing.  I'm curious if they'll say 4GB.  

Anyway.  I only get the discount on the shared data part, but that's fine.  And Sprint said I'll have to send my devices back to get my ETF waived.  I'm going to try to fight that, at least for a couple of lines.  They've consistantly had data speeds at or around 0.05Kbps, and this is with 4-5 bars of 3G service.  I also live in a complete dead zone.  I've called numorous times and asked if they had any plans at putting up a tower and was told no but that I could leave ETF free.  I guess that's for Sprint's forums, not this one though.

I'll probably sign up in store.  That way I can get the devices right then.  I'm looking for a 3GS right now to use on my line. 

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

Are you looking outside of AT&T for the iPhone 3GS?  I don't think that AT&T sells these anymore.

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

In the Sprint dead zone, can you get voice coverage by roaming on Verizon? I thought they had roaming agreements. Or are you just not able to make or receive calls at all in the white spots?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@harryspar wrote:
In the Sprint dead zone, can you get voice coverage by roaming on Verizon? I thought they had roaming agreements. Or are you just not able to make or receive calls at all in the white spots?

excessive roaming on any carrier is a chargable item by the minute

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

11 years ago

I am not able to roam at all in these areas. Sometimes it'll pick up a signal from Verizon but it's not strong enough or doesn't last enough to do any good. If anything a text will come through when this happens.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.