Need help understanding your bill?
Delana2008's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, September 27th, 2011 5:30 AM

Switching plans and phones

I currently have an iPhone 3GS and am paying entirely too much for it. In order to change phones and plans do I have to go in to the store or can this be done online?

Thank you so much.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

13 years ago

Since you bought the phone 6 months ago, you are not entitled to a discounted phone. You are able to buy a cheap "GoPhone" about $50 - $75) or buy one on Ebay or Craigslist or if you know someone that has an old phone they aren't using and use it on your account and get rid of the data plan after you change phones.

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

Go ANDROID, Delana2008, you'll love everything about the device and its apps. When did you purchase your ip3GS? If you are close to your upgrade, call and see if they will allow you to do an early upgrade at a lesser cost for another phone.

Im not sure you can swap phones at no cost , but may depend on your current upgrade status and 'maybe' if you just bought the phone and its still new? Call CSR and ask.

Scholar

• 

346 Messages

13 years ago

@Delana2008 wrote:
I currently have an iPhone 3GS and am paying entirely too much for it. In order to change phones and plans do I have to go in to the store or can this be done online?

Thank you so much.

When did you get your iPhone 3GS? If you got it at launch (which is a little over 2 years ago), then you should be eligible for an equipment upgrade. If not, then you're going to have to pay more for the device (albeit AT&T does offer a partial subsidy if you've had your device for between 1yr to 18mos). You should be able to upgrade your phone and switch to a different plan online.

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

Thats what I was thinking, too , and hoping the poster says their upgrade date is now 🙂 Else pretty much locked into the phone unless they sell it on eBay

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

I got my iPhone 3GS a little less than 6 months ago. Is there no way that I can get one of their free phones or one off amazon and switch plans? I'm desperate.

Scholar

• 

346 Messages

13 years ago

@kdfederer wrote:
You are able to buy a cheap "GoPhone" about $50 - $75) or buy one on Ebay or Craigslist or if you know someone that has an old phone they aren't using and use it on your account and get rid of the data plan after you change phones.

Seriously, you can do that? If so, then that's pretty stupid on AT&T's part. They force data plans on folks using unlocked, unsubsidized phones yet people who bought a subsidized device from AT&T are not required to pay the mandatory data plan if they switch to a dumbphone.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you so much!!

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

13 years ago

"Dumb phones" don't require dataplans, that's why you can have a rate plan that doesn't include data. 

Scholar

• 

346 Messages

13 years ago

@jamileh wrote:

"Dumb phones" don't require dataplans, that's why you can have a rate plan that doesn't include data. 

I know that dumb phones don't require a data plan but you have to notice the potential for abuse here. I can buy an iPhone from AT&T (with full subsidy), move the SIM card from the iPhone to a dumb phone, get the data plan cancelled after a month (but still keeping regular phone service) and eBay the iPhone.

Hmm, now I'm really curious what the exact verbiage regarding ETF states and whether cancelling the data plan would trigger the ETF. Given the suggestions on this board, right now, I'm guessing not. *off to search*

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

13 years ago

Cancelling a data plan does not trigger an ETF.
There have been many people doing what you suggest. Buy the iPhone and sell it almost immediately for huge profit.
If you buy the phone from an authorized retailer (like Wirefly, Amazon, Radio Shack), it may trigger a "fee" but a phone purchased from AT&T directly does not.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.