Need help understanding your bill?
dalia0917's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, December 13th, 2016 2:36 AM

Switching lines from one account to a new account

Hello,
I'm wondering how much it costs to switch 2 existing AT&T lines from a current account to a new one with less data? My fiancé and I are currently paying half of an unlimited plan with his brother, but we'd like to open an account with our numbers under his name with a smaller data package. We don't have 2 year contracts, we're on the Next plan so we just have our device installments and whatever the data package we're on costs. It'd be nice to be in control of our own account in our names. Could anyone help me figure out how much that might cost to do?

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@dalia0917 

If you're on an unlimited plan and splitting it, it might not be that much of a savings...

Let's say you get a 3GB plan for $40 plus 20 a line. That's $80 plus tax/fees. Figures another $5-ish per line.  Now you're at $90.

An unlimited plan is $180 for 3 or 4 lines, so I'm not sure how much your paying.  I suppose if it's just 3 of you, you could be paying $60 a line (plus taxes) and don't forget about $5-ish a line (varies by location).

If it's 4 of you, you'd only be paying $90 that's onbly $10 more for unlimited...

Don't forget the cost of then Next lines, that's not going to change.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

We're currently paying I think, $150/month which covers our half... plus, my fiancé's phone still has the insurance on it which is why it's $150. We just want to put our lines on an account under our names and go from there. We really don't need unlimited data, we're always on wifi and when we aren't that's usually when we're traveling which isn't very often. It would just be easier for us not to have to pay so much every month for our service.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

To transfer your lines, the account owner needs to initiate a transfer of billing responsibility. When you accept the transfer, you can set up your own account and plan. Your Next plans will transfer with your lines, you are not required to pay them off first. I don't believe there is any charge to do this, however, depending on your credit you may have to put down a deposit to start your own account. More info on the transfer process is here: https://www.att.com/tobr/tobrHomePage.rt

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@dalia0917 wrote:
We're currently paying I think, $150/month which covers our half... plus, my fiancé's phone still has the insurance on it which is why it's $150. We just want to put our lines on an account under our names and go from there. We really don't need unlimited data, we're always on wifi and when we aren't that's usually when we're traveling which isn't very often. It would just be easier for us not to have to pay so much every month for our service.

It sounds like that includes the cost of the phones.

Of course it'd be easier to pay less. Who doesn't think it'd be easier to be less, but unless you know your actual phone cost...

I'm not saying you need unlimited, but you need to pick a number. How much are you actually using?? If you got 25GB it's going to cost you $150 a month and that's not including phones.  

Can't help you break down the $150, unless you tell me what the phones are costing you. 

If you're paying $27.09 a month per phone (That's a $650 phone over 24 months), that's $54, plus $10 tax, plus $8 for insurance that's $72 and means $76 is towards the plan. That doesn't even get you you the 3GB plan to share. And if you're really using more than 3GB, then you need the plan that's another $20 amonth.

When you do the TOBR and transfer the next over the actual account owner has to approve this.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you, that actually helps quite a bit. But I noticed there's a video on the page of the link you posted and I'm deaf, so I won't be able to tell what's being said. Would you be able to explain it to me? Sorry if it's an inconvenience.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@dalia0917 wrote:
Thank you, that actually helps quite a bit. But I noticed there's a video on the page of the link you posted and I'm deaf, so I won't be able to tell what's being said. Would you be able to explain it to me? Sorry if it's an inconvenience.

It's captioned.  Push the CC icon in the lower right.

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 11.03.19 PM.png When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution".

This helps other people to find an answer more quickly.

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

I have the iPhone 5s and it's almost paid off, I only have about $300 left on it and he has the 6s plus. We were thinking of going with a 5GB plan for just the two of us.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@dalia0917 wrote:
I have the iPhone 5s and it's almost paid off, I only have about $300 left on it and he has the 6s plus. We were thinking of going with a 5GB plan for just the two of us.

How MUCH is the MONTHLY payment for EACH phone?  Actual numbers are the only way to compare it.

They don't have a 5GB plan any more. Even if you can still get it, the line fee would be $25 a line instead of $20 per line ($5 more per line).

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

I think around $37.50/month or so, but mine is most likely less because it's an older phone. Plus the $80 for the insurance on my fiancé's phone, the total is $150/month for our half of the unlimited plan between 4 lines.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@dalia0917  The next real question is how much data do you use. 

FYI, 4 lines on unlimtied is $180.  So $90 is yours  + $10 tax+ $37.50 + $8 insurance you're currenly at $145.50 for UNLIMITED (maybe it's $4.5 more for taxes).

OR

The 6gb plan is $60+ $20+ times 2 = $100 + $10 tax + $37.50 +$8 insurance = $155.50 for 6GB. 

Seems silly to pay more for less data. IMHO...

Remembering I'm estimating the insurance.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.