For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
knoelle's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, August 1st, 2018 4:12 PM

Switching carries - T moblie to AT&T

I would like to get off my fathers plan for Tmoblie & get on my own plan for At&t however im only 17 so the account wont be in my name. Im not sure how it works switching carriers, ive been told at&t potentially would buy out my contract with Tmoblie, i only owe a bit more on my phone and plan to pay it off so i can keep my phone. Not sure what i have to do in order to close out my line with tmoblie and go to at&t, or what they can do to help me with this process as they dont have much information about this online. Thanks im advance! 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

You switch carriers by porting your number. Porting your number will close out that line with T-Mobile. If you intend to keep using your phone, you need to get it unlocked before you switch. You are likely not on a contract with T-Mobile, so since you intend to pay off your phone and keep using it, there is nothing for ATT to buy out. What ATT might do is reimburse you what you owe T-Mobile for the phone but that requires you trade that phone in and buy a new one from ATT. Even if you do want a new phone, you are better off paying off your old phone and selling it yourself. Besides, It is unclear whether ATT has a switch offer now or not. Since you can’t get your own postpaid account yet, you could port your number to prepaid. There are no credit checks or age requirements for prepaid.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.