For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Sadie123's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, September 19th, 2016 12:49 AM

Switch family plans

Can I switch from one family plan to another while I still have AT&T next plan installments left on my current line?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @Sadie123,

You absolutely can! You can change to any current available plan at anytime. This will not effect any commitments you have with AT&T or effect your Next agreement.

You can see the currently offered plans at https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html.

Keep in mind you can choose to make your plan changes effective for the current date, backdate them to the beginning of your billing cycle*, or make them effective for your next billing cycle. Each of these has a different effect.

If you're moving to a higher plan and aren't at risk of an overage this month, it may be best to future date so you don't have any proration for the difference of your current plan and the new plan.

If you're moving to a smaller plan and wouldn't be over the new plan's limits, backdating is a good option as it could result in your next bill being lower than the new usual bill for one month.

You can also choose to switch your plan effective the date your making the change, which can result in proration in the form of a credit or charge depending upon if you're going up or down in plan cost.

You can change your plan via myAT&T on your computer, on your phone or tablet, or by calling customer care at 611 or 800-331-0500.

*Some tasks such as adding a new line, previous feature or rate plan changes, etc. limit the ability to backdate further than a certain date.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Justin, thank you for the quick response. What I actually meant is, I am currently on a family plan with one family member, but I want to switch to another family members plan instead. Is that possible as well?

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

Yes, it is possible as long as that person does not have any grandfathered plans.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.