Need help understanding your bill?
BLOSSUMS's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, September 14th, 2016 1:05 AM

Switch Program Complaint

We have been with for Verizon for 12 years, we upgraded 5 lines to the new SE. Had never had problems, however this time we ended up paying more than we were quoted. Despite strongly feeling this was a poor sales pitch, We decided to leave nicely knowing that we had AT&T to go to, and just gave the benefit of the doubt, we said there could have been miscommunication on either end. Not only that, but about 6 to 8 customer service/sales reps and managers said there wasn't anything they could do to help. For 12 dedicated years, many upgrades and accessories bought there, and 9 active phone lines, we felt like they didn't really want to take care of their customers. We went to AT&T and used the switch program. Since there was confusion at Verizon, my husband and I both constantly asked in depth questions about the program and confirmed our understanding of it to make sure we knew what we were getting into. After trading in the phones, the sales manager said we had some credits for the trade in and that they would take care of the screen savers, start up fees, cases, etc. we also signed up to get rid of a basic phone and make monthly payments on a new iPhone. And signed up for $10 month line access on a tablet (free with 2 year contract). Only 3 of the rebates that came in were about $150 each. I called customer service... They said that it is correct. We owed about $460 Each on the SE's from Verizon. AT&T said, "you take the $460 then minus the $295 for the trade in, and that is your rebate. I was in tears. That is NOT how it had been explained to us over and over and over again. I called the store we bought them at, and he was baffled as well..... said that it didn't make sense. But their computers were down and will have to call back. This was today and I'm hoping their computers work by tomorrow. We owe Verizon almost $2,000 to pay off the phones we transferred, and have almost $350 in rebate cards to pay them.... Extremely frustrated and in tears.

Guru

• 

408 Messages

8 years ago

Hello @BLOSSUMS and welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!

I apologize for the situation you are going through due to misinformation, and system maintenace. i can help you with that!

AT&T has been experiencing downtime in most of its systems since yesterday, making impossible (for both employees and customers) to access accounts.

For your protection, AT&T will always provide written details for each and every offer or promotion, available for free, 24/7, at att.com, either in the Newsroom, and/or the Support Articles, and as a bonus, you have us (customers just like you) in this magnificent forum.

It is very sad I welcomed you into the forums for a complaint, instead of for guidance, leading to an informed decision. But, hey, here you are, and whatever I contribute, will help you for further events!

Here is the main link to the details on the "Switch carriers to AT&T, trade up your old phone and keep your number" offer (a.k.a. Switcher offer): https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/switch-and-save-etf.html

1) Purchase any new smartphone on AT&T Next and activate a new line of qualified postpaid service. During activation, port your number from T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, or another eligible carrier. (DONE)

2) Once you get your new smartphone from us, it’s time to trade in your current smartphone.

"Trade-in Credit: Instant credit or private label AT&T Promotion Card issued by MetaBank™ or CenterState Bank of Florida NA, via license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. (may take 3 weeks to receive). Credit and Card valid for 5 months and for use only to purchase AT&T products and service in AT&T-owned retail stores, at att.com, or to pay wireless bill."

Here is the link to know the Trade-In Value of each phone: https://tradein.att.com/#/start-a-buyback/discover-device-valueThe Trade-In Value was the credit that helped you buy device accessories at the retail store. At the end of the page says: "If you are participating in the current switch promotion, the Trade-in value determined here for your current smartphone will constitute the Trade-in portion of the total credits you will receive under the promotion and will be provided to you in the form of an AT&T Promotion Card." (DONE)

3) After you have completed steps #1 and #2, wait for your previous carrier to send you their final bill. Once you get it, you can complete the online registration [at http://att.com/helpypuswitch] and then upload or mail it in within 60 days of porting your number. (DONE)

The AT&T Promotion Card you receive for each ported line is:

1) The previous service provider's Equipment installment Plan [EIP] balance or Early Termination Fee[ETF] (excluding taxes, fees, service, and other charges) up to $650

2) Minus trade-in value of your phones.

If your EIP balance due was $450, and the trade in value of that device was $150, your promo card balance will be ($450-$150) $300.

AT&T protects all its customers from misinformation, and will meet the customer half way, but the customer's responsibility is to read and understand, before checking the box "I have read and understand the Terms & Conditions." However, If AT&T made a billing error that caused you faulty billing or incorrect credits, AT&T will prove its integrity, and resolve it as soon as possible.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

Just a ditto from a customer.  The switch offers are the same for all carriers, going back as far as these offers have been around.  Verizon has the exact same switch offer with exact same terms.

Its a reimbursement in the form of an instant trade in credit for your phones, and the difference is sent as a gift card later.  

image.jpeg

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Had the same problem ! I wasn't informed of this and they ripped us off by 1058.00 !!!!!! It's a scam and I will not recommend at&t to anyone oh and btw ......... My my rebates were accepted and approved June 8th 2016 and I am still waiting on rebates ....... same same answer have to wait up to 10 weeks , I guess we don't practice the same math as at&t either ! Says it was mailed Sept 7th 2016 still waiting !

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Exactly same scenario. If you are thinking of switching.... DON'T! I switched from Verizon to AT&T in September, haven't seen a dime, five months and hours of calls to Verizon, AT&T and DirectTV.... nothing! It is a complete scam. They only pay off the phone balance from Edge plans. THATS IT! No taxes, no terimnation/cancellation fees, nothing. And good luck getting that $25/mo credit from DirectTV (which they have since changed to $15). Absolute nightmare. My next complaint is to NJ Consumer Affairs, and reporting the slimey AT&T Rep to Senior Management. It was a very costly mistake. Should have researched BEFORE switching. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Coming from a AT&T company person... You have no idea the scam you people are running. But I will make it my mission to make the community aware of this insanely illegal promotion. If I can get at least one person to NOT switch, I would be happy. NOBODY has hours and hours of time to go through the nonsense you just listed above. NOBODY!

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

6 years ago

“They only pay off the phone balance from Edge plans. THATS IT! No taxes, no terimnation/cancellation fees, nothing. ”

That is exactly correct; just as advertised. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@imabitch wrote:

Exactly same scenario. If you are thinking of switching.... DON'T! I switched from Verizon to AT&T in September, haven't seen a dime, five months and hours of calls to Verizon, AT&T and DirectTV.... nothing! It is a complete scam. They only pay off the phone balance from Edge plans. THATS IT! No taxes, no terimnation/cancellation fees, nothing. And good luck getting that $25/mo credit from DirectTV (which they have since changed to $15). Absolute nightmare. My next complaint is to NJ Consumer Affairs, and reporting the slimey AT&T Rep to Senior Management. It was a very costly mistake. Should have researched BEFORE switching. 

Read the offers.  Not one of the alphabet agencies or consumer groups is going to take you seriously when you tell them the offer is exactly as advertised.  None of the switch offers pays for your service of taxes. 

Read the offer...

Note: The value of your AT&T Promotion Visa Prepaid Card (up to $650) is based on the amounts of the Early Termination Fee or device payment plan balance reflected in your termination / cancellation fees from your previous carrier minus the Trade-in Program value of your current smartphone.

3EEF957A-057E-4998-B92F-A9FA71EFE085.png

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.