Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Suspicious call from att number 800-331-0500

Contributor

Suspicious call from att number 800-331-0500

I was called from this number asking for last numbers of ss and pin for my account. I called the number back and it was att. Is this a legit phone call?

Message 1 of 39
ACE - Sage

Re: Call from att 800-331-0500

The rule I follow is;  “If you call them you know who it is and can give out the personal information.  If they call you - NOPE”

I suspect it was a spoofed number.   Calling back was the right thing to do.  👍🏼

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 39
Tutor

Got a call from this number 800-331-0500 saying my account has been suspended. Was transferred to automated service which asked me to enter last 4 digits of SSN. I disconnected and check my att account which seemed fine.

Message 3 of 39
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by davidbk
‎05-07-2018 11:17 AM

ATT would not and could not call you to tell you your service is suspended.  Scam.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 39
Contributor

This number has called every phone that is on my data plan this morning. Nobody answered it of course. We automatically go on line and look for reports just like those that are listed here.

Message 5 of 39
Contributor

I just got this phone call too!  Perhaps ATT can send out a text message warning to all customers.

Message 6 of 39
ACE - Master

@howardkier wrote:

I just got this phone call too!  Perhaps ATT can send out a text message warning to all customers.

Scams like this happen all the time. Do you want AT&T to send out text messages periodically, reminding you not to fall for scams?

Message 7 of 39
Contributor

This is the first time I have received this particular scam.  I almost fell for it because I forgot to pay my bill yesterday.  I know there are others out there who are not so vigilant and every reminder is helpful.  My local police department sends out periodic scam notices and so does my bank.  So why should it be an issue is ATT does the same.  If you don't want to receive the reminder, then you can opt out.

Message 8 of 39
Employee

I am an AT&T employee and although there will never be texts sent out, we offer a free app called AT&T Call Protect and it will automatically decline spam calls and or pop up and tell you if it’s a telemarketer.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 39
Contributor

I just received a call from this number. I am NOT an AT&T customer. Red scam flag! 

A good rule of thumb.... never answer any number you are not familiar with. If they leave voicemail and you feel it COULD BE a strong possibility, call the company/organization from the info obtained elsewhere, NOT the number that called you. 

If there is no voicemail, more often than not, it is not legitimate. And of course always research number before taking action. 

It is my undersatanding, it isn’t just about pfishing for info through dialogue, but also there does exist  

technology among some that can gain entry (hack) into your device by you answering the call and/or calling them back. 

Message 10 of 39
Scholar

Interesting. It's the Direct Now customer care team. I know this because I just received a call from them after filing a complaint with the FCC about my Directv Now account. It went to vm and when I called it back it is AT&T with their standard "How can I help you today" greeting. However, they left a different # to call back in the message.

Message 11 of 39
Contributor

While this is an actual AT&T number it is not AT&T calling.  Spammers are importing the number on your screen sot you think AT&T is calling; they then proceed to ask you for your account information to glean personal information for fraud purposes. 

I called the number and got routed to AT&T, they are aware of the problem but have not been able to stop the ghosting of their number. 

What a pain in the butt!

Message 12 of 39
Scholar

I got a call from this # last week and it was legitimately AT&T so this is interesting to me.

Message 13 of 39
ACE - Master

@Jillsie wrote:

I got a call from this # last week and it was legitimately AT&T so this is interesting to me.

Yes, it's a legitimate AT&T number. Some scammers spoof that number to try to get info from unsuspecting targets. 

If the caller asks for identifying information, credit card or bank details, etc. it's not AT&T. Legit AT&T callers will not ask for any personal info. 

Message 14 of 39
Contributor

I got the same call. Did not answer but called back and it was AT&T.  The troubling thing is that they called the other numbers on our account. Why would a scammer have access to the numbers that are linked together on our AT&T account?  Must a weakness in AT&T's security?

Message 15 of 39
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support