Need help understanding your bill?
frakman1's profile

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, May 19th, 2018 12:11 PM

Suspicious Text Message from ATT&T

At 4:57 AM This morning, I received two back-to-back suspicious looking texts from ATT&T: It came from the number 746 118-88. I removed the PIN but here is the message.

Why is this happening? I never initiated a PIN code request for login. 

AT&T Free Msg: Please use this single-use PIN to complete your AT&T Messages login. We'll never call you to ask for your PIN. If you didn't request a PIN, call 800.331.0500 ASAP.

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc]

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Yes, AT&T Fraud Dept had me go into their MobileSecurity app, click Resend PIN, and enter it. Supposedly, I will get no more (746) 118-88 messages. AT&T said they have an Urgent Response team working on a fix.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Someone is trying to login to messages.att.net on your account. You should call as suggested and change the password to your account.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

It is ATT’s cloud for text messages. Once setup, your text messages are automatically backed up and you can access them from other devices such as a computer.

Accepted Solution

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

It is AT&T Mobile Security trying to log in.  You were logged out after an update.  Just sign back in to Mobile Security or delete it.  

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you for your response. I have never used AT&T messages,  but I just tried to login and got the same message with the single-use PIN. However, when I used it to try and log-in, I got this message:

Hmmm, Something Went Wrong.

We are unable to setup AT&T Messages. Please come back to http://messages.att.net and try again later.

What exactly is messages.att.net and why would someone want to be hacking into it?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

The same thing is happening to me right now.  

"AT&T Free Msg: Please use this single-use PIN xxxxxx to complete your AT&T Messages login. We'll never call you to ask for your PIN. If you didn't request a PIN, call 800.331.0500 ASAP."

I received 5 messages (each with new pin to use) between 10:30 pm -11:04pm.  I called the number.  She said it was their system sending the messages to get people to use their application.  That doesn't make sense to me. I believe it is illegal for businesses to contact residential customers this way especially late at night and early in the morning. I think it's is more than 3 a month is considered harassment. I can't imagine they would set up a system to do that. At very disturbing disruptive hours.  It seems more likely to me that my soon to be ex-husband is trying to get into my messages.  I just can't see a business doing this.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I changed my password. 

<#> AT&T Free Message: Your temporary PIN is 
IOpMWSEeQxt

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Does anyone from AT&T monitor these forums? I’ve received several of these for the past two days and find it fairly annoying to have to keep changing my password. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I have an iPhone and it’s quite easy to
Block the number.

Clock on the message number, then info, go to the end of the info and block

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Blocking the number won't change the fact that someone is trying to hack into your account. You're just sticking your head in the sand if you do.

I would call ATT and disable the ability to check your SMS messages from their website because that's what the hackers are using to retrieve verification/two-factory authentication codes.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.