Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Suspicious Text Message from ATT&T

Contributor

Suspicious Text Message from ATT&T

At 4:57 AM This morning, I received two back-to-back suspicious looking texts from ATT&T: It came from the number 746 118-88. I removed the PIN but here is the message.

Why is this happening? I never initiated a PIN code request for login. 

AT&T Free Msg: Please use this single-use PIN to complete your AT&T Messages login. We'll never call you to ask for your PIN. If you didn't request a PIN, call 800.331.0500 ASAP.

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc]

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by davidbk
‎12-03-2018 8:03 AM

Re: Suspicious Text Message from ATT&T

Someone is trying to login to messages.att.net on your account. You should call as suggested and change the password to your account.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

Thank you for your response. I have never used AT&T messages,  but I just tried to login and got the same message with the single-use PIN. However, when I used it to try and log-in, I got this message:

Hmmm, Something Went Wrong.

We are unable to setup AT&T Messages. Please come back to http://messages.att.net and try again later.

What exactly is messages.att.net and why would someone want to be hacking into it?

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Expert

It is ATT’s cloud for text messages. Once setup, your text messages are automatically backed up and you can access them from other devices such as a computer.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Contributor

The same thing is happening to me right now.  

"AT&T Free Msg: Please use this single-use PIN xxxxxx to complete your AT&T Messages login. We'll never call you to ask for your PIN. If you didn't request a PIN, call 800.331.0500 ASAP."

I received 5 messages (each with new pin to use) between 10:30 pm -11:04pm.  I called the number.  She said it was their system sending the messages to get people to use their application.  That doesn't make sense to me. I believe it is illegal for businesses to contact residential customers this way especially late at night and early in the morning. I think it's is more than 3 a month is considered harassment. I can't imagine they would set up a system to do that. At very disturbing disruptive hours.  It seems more likely to me that my soon to be ex-husband is trying to get into my messages.  I just can't see a business doing this.

Tags (3)
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you Missing Your BOGO Credits? If so, QuarryRye can you help figure out what happened and what to do about it!

Additional Support