For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
bothomas's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, January 28th, 2015 10:47 AM

Suspend Wireless Service for Military Deployment

I just recently deployed overseas with the military and was wondering what I need to do to suspend my service while I'm gone (180 +/- days). Already overseas so not sure I can call. Also is there anyway to get my iPhone unlocked so I could use a local prepaid SIM card while here?
Brian

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

420 Messages

2 years ago

Hello Community,

We wanted to update this thread with the most up to date information regarding military suspend details.

Let's share how you can hold, cancel, and reactivate your AT&T wireless service while overseas for Military Deployment. We'll also show you how to submit a device unlock request if needed.

International customer service is available for customers currently traveling outside of the United States free of charge when calling from your AT&T device.

• POSTPAID: 1.314.925.6925
  • PREPAID: 1.408.962.1025

If you can't call us, then send an email with the completed forms for the service you’re holding or canceling, to ATTMilitaryRequest@att.com. Please allow up to 24 hours for processing.

For all device unlock requests, make sure you meet all personal requirements, then use the device unlock portal to submit your request. When approved, you'll receive an email confirmation with unlock instructions. You will find the general requirements listed below:

Some things to keep in mind for the line you’re suspending:

• The device must be designed for use on, and locked to, the AT&T wireless network.
  • If it’s a new AT&T device, active service for a period of time is required.
  • It must not be reported lost or stolen.
  • It must not be associated with fraudulent activity.
  • All the device’s service commitments and installment plans must be completed, and all early termination fees must be paid in full.
  • The device must not be currently active on a different AT&T customer’s account.
  • If you performed an early upgrade, you must wait the 14-day buyer’s remorse period before you can request to unlock your previous device.

In some instances an unlock request may be delayed or denied due to account-related items or even fraud.

It's important to know that if a phone is purchased from a non-AT&T authorized dealer or sites like eBay, AT&T may be unable to unlock the device. Before purchasing the device, make sure the seller performs the unlock request. In some instances, you will have to contact the seller to perform the request. If the device was purchased by another provider, they should have online resources to unlock the device.

You can learn more about device unlocks here in the Forums.

Thank you for your service and safe travels!

Thank you for visiting the AT&T Community Forums!

(edited)

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hey there @bothomas

We can certainly help with your service in regards to your military deployment! In order for us to do so, please contact our support line for customers outside the US at +1.916.843.4685. This number is free from your AT&T mobile. We will be glad to change your service to a military cancellation while you are out of our service area during your assignment. We appreciate your service to our country and look forward to your safe return.

With regards to unlocking your device, please see our Consumer Device Unlock Portal. In order for deployed military personnel to be approved for unlock, the following requirements must be met:

• The device must be designed for use on, and locked to, the AT&T wireless network.
  • It must not be reported lost or stolen.
  • It’s not associated with fraudulent activity.
  • The device is not currently active on a different AT&T customer’s account.

Should you meet the requirements, simply choose ‘Yes’ to the Active Deployed Military Personnel question on the request form. You may be asked to forward a copy of your military orders to us to confirm your request. The information on how to do so will be provided to you upon request submission.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Charise

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

So I did the unlock portal thing and got an email saying they needed a copy of my orders emailed back to them (at deviceunlockreceipt@att.com).  I sent them in as requested, but have not heard anything back at all from anyone.  Can you maybe find out a status for me or a point of contact that I can look into this further?

Thank you,

Brian

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

Be patient, it is the weekend and I don't think the folks who process unlocks work weekends. You should get a response by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Unlock did come through, thank you!  Now how do I go about suspending my account for the time of my deployment?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Now, can you help me put my phone/data service on a suspension due to my military deployment?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Does a 12 month restricted tour to Korea enable military unlocking service?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I'm deployed to South Korea, my wife is the account holder. I was told twice by the Copperas Cove, TX store that when I deployed the balance owed on my phone would be paid off, I could unlock the phone, and have the service cancelled.

Now I'm not talking about the phone bill for our four lines, but the balance on the phone itself. So I sent my orders, the phone got unlocked, no problem there. But now we owe the remaining $400.00. My wife called customer service and was told that it was a promotional deal that had expired. Yet I go on the AT&T web site and see that right there in black and white it says that if you have an installment you may keep your device and not make any monthly payments.

Another paragraph says that I'm still responsible for any outstanding payments. So the store says one thing to me twice, and the website says two things that contradict themselves.

While I would like my balance to be paid off, I would really like to be able to be told something and have it be true. I would like to read my options and understand them, not have them contradicting themselves.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I have done all of that, the device is unlocked, you have my orders. But I was told that the device would be paid off, twice. I wanted to keep my number, but I have no idea if that worked. The only real problem is whether or not the device will be paid off. Like I said the website says in one paragraph that I'm responsible for the bill. Two paragraphs later it says I may be able to keep whe device without making any additional monthly payments. To me that says that I do not owe the remainder of the balance.

So which is it?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.