Need help understanding your bill?
Ludatyk's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, June 29th, 2019 12:40 AM

Sudden Spike in Data Usage

Backstory, I went on a 2.5 hour trip on a vacation... using Apple Maps on the iPhone. I used Maps for the whole time during the trip... and I only used about 20mb to 30mb during that span. Well, that’s according to the data usage on the website.

Recently, I go to a restaurant using Apple Maps on the iPad... used the Maps for a 20 min span. And according to the data usage website... I used 10 gb in that time span.

I spoke with AT&T, I didn’t go to any higher ups... just hoping that something can be done. I was told by the representative nothing can be done... that I should speak with Apple. And Apple has ran diagnostic to find there’s nothing odd going on with my iPad.

AT&T is closed, I plan on speaking with a supervisor of some sort tomorrow... trying to at least get half if not more of my data back from this sudden spike. I’m just wondering has anyone have any experience with this matter? And did they get it resolved?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

By “the website” I assume you mean myATT or paygonline usage reports.  That is not how you view your usage to determine what used data or when.  It’s delayed 3 hours to 3 days.  The usage reports are AT&T’s totals which you should check against at the end of your bill cycle.

The only accurate and current use is metered live on your phone.  

With iPhone you have to reset data statistics with each new bill cycle.

If you aren’t tracking and resetting your statistics, you can’t provide any useful information.  AT&T customer service cannot provide information that is ONLY on your devices.  Calling them is useless.

78D7FB09-75A4-43F2-A4AD-9AD170BE4DAA.jpeg9BC36B94-BA3B-4E93-B30A-55EB55D058F3.jpeg

2 Attachments

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

My issue has been resolved.

I had to talk with Customer Care department since I requested that the overages that I plan on accruing due to the spike in data was highly unusual.

The rep in Customer Care said that it was an error on their end, I should not have been giving that much data in that short span. I will have to call when my cycle ends to get credit for the overages that will take place.

I estimate I’ll have $90 in overage charge... due to this data spike.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

5 years ago

@Ludatyk, let us know how that goes. Reps are paid to make you happy when you hang up. That doesn’t mean they’re always right. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.