Need help understanding your bill?
cagekg's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, August 8th, 2013 2:44 PM

Splitting off Family Plan (But Still Under Contract)

I am the head of the family plan, along with 4 other sub lines. In January of 2012 we have signed up for the 2-year wireless agreement and the contract will expire on January 2014. However, one of the lines are in contract until July 2015 due to a recent phone upgrade.

My question is, can I split the family plan such that it becomes 4:1 (the line under contract is split off) and then transfer the financial responsibility to the owner of that line?

Also, will I be able to terminate the other 4 lines (1 main line and 3 sub lines) anytime after 2014? We are international students, so four of us will be graduating and return home, therefore we have to cancel the lines... and then the other person whose contract is still ongoing will assume full responsibility of everything (bills/finance).

If I have successfully transferred the financial responsibility to the line which the contract is still ongoing, how would he be billed? Will he be billed as an individual plan or still remain as part of family plan rates? Right now the main line (mine) is billed $114+ per month, while the other sub lines are billed at a much lower rate. How would this change affect the bill of the splitted line?

Also, can this transfer be done over the net to save the $18 if the transferrer and transferree are both international students? Do we have to pay the security deposit again?

There are a lot of questions here... so thank you for your patience in reading and answering this!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@cagekg wrote:

I am the head of the family plan, along with 4 other sub lines. In January of 2012 we have signed up for the 2-year wireless agreement and the contract will expire on January 2014. However, one of the lines are in contract until July 2015 due to a recent phone upgrade.

My question is, can I split the family plan such that it becomes 4:1 (the line under contract is split off) and then transfer the financial responsibility to the owner of that line?

Also, will I be able to terminate the other 4 lines (1 main line and 3 sub lines) anytime after 2014? We are international students, so four of us will be graduating and return home, therefore we have to cancel the lines... and then the other person whose contract is still ongoing will assume full responsibility of everything (bills/finance).

If I have successfully transferred the financial responsibility to the line which the contract is still ongoing, how would he be billed? Will he be billed as an individual plan or still remain as part of family plan rates? Right now the main line (mine) is billed $114+ per month, while the other sub lines are billed at a much lower rate. How would this change affect the bill of the splitted line?

Also, can this transfer be done over the net to save the $18 if the transferrer and transferree are both international students? Do we have to pay the security deposit again?

There are a lot of questions here... so thank you for your patience in reading and answering this!

As long as you are the primary account holder you can initiate a transfer of billing responsiblity for that line to who ever is using it. Something to remember - if the person that is taking over the billing responsibility for that line has little, no or bad credit a hefty security deposit would probably be required, it is a brand new account with a unique account number in that persons name.

After the transfer your bill would go down the 9.99 + any line speicifc charges like a data plan, the person that is accepting the repsonsiblity would be required to choose a single line plan that starts at 39.95, and add any features that they require or is required. If it is a smartphone there is a mandatory data plan, either tiered or mobile share, if they don;t choose a mobile share plan then a texting plan would have to be added.

If they choose a lowest voice plan 450 minutes

39.95 - 450 minute

20.00 - 300MB data

20.00 - texting

--------

79.95 before taxes, surchages, etc

Mobile share

20.00 - unlimited talk & text w/ 300 MB of data

50.00 - first device must be a smartphones

--------

70.00 before taxes, surcharges, etc

40.00 - unlimited talk/text w/ 1GB of data

45.00 first device - again must be a smartphone

-------

85.00 before taxes surcharges, etc

I seem to remember that if you do it online the 18.00 charge is not required. I also believe that until the transfer is completed by the person that is taking over you are still reponsible as the primary account holder for all charges

Hope this helps

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi there @cagekg

We’d be happy to help! This would be a Transfer of Billing Responsibility. With this kind of move, the contract/installment plan can be transferred with the line, meaning an early termination fee would not be necessary. As the original account owner, you can start the transfer process online by following these steps:

1. Log in and go to myAT&T.
  2. Under Billing, Usage, Payments, select Transfer Billing Responsibility.
  3. Select the wireless account for which you'd like to transfer billing responsibility.
  4. Select Transfer billing responsibility and the line(s) you want to transfer.
  5. Enter the requested information.
  6. Select Continue, confirm your request, accept the transfer terms, and then select Submit.

For more information, click here to view our Transfer of Billing Responsibility eSupport article!

You would be able to cancel the other lines without additional charges if they are out of contract/not part of an installment plan. When the transfer is complete, the single line would be billed as a separate individual and account. A credit check would be performed upon creating the new account, and based on the results, a deposit may be required.

I hope this helps!

Charise

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for the swift reply. This clears up a lot of matter.

If the person (the transferee) has little credit rating, must the security deposit be paid in the form of cash or it can be paid in another monetary form? Am I able to process the ownership transfer in agent stores other than corporate stores? The closest corporate stores in Ames would be in Des Moines, Iowa; and in Ames we only have agent stores.

By agent stores I mean the kind of stores that are able to help you set up new phone lines. I paid my security deposit there, so I think they might be able to carry out the ownership transfer process without problems.

Thanks again!

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@cagekg wrote:

Thank you for the swift reply. This clears up a lot of matter.

If the person (the transferee) has little credit rating, must the security deposit be paid in the form of cash or it can be paid in another monetary form? Am I able to process the ownership transfer in agent stores other than corporate stores? The closest corporate stores in Ames would be in Des Moines, Iowa; and in Ames we only have agent stores.

By agent stores I mean the kind of stores that are able to help you set up new phone lines. I paid my security deposit there, so I think they might be able to carry out the ownership transfer process without problems.

Thanks again!

you can do it with any authorized or corporate store, I just personally like to deal with corporate, an agent store is a authorized retailer owned by a different company. if you want to save the 18.00 you need initiate it online.

By any othe monetary forum I am guessing you mean a credit or debit card - should be no problem.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you very much. I have made your post as the solution. I will update my initial post if things turn out just the way you mentioned.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

This is great info.  However, when trying to do it over the net, the URL I was provided led to a loop and could not be accessed.  (www.att.com/transfermynumber).

Won't split off a line, if I'm charged not only for starting another line, but on top of it for transferring the number.  That's just getting greedy on the part of AT&T.  My contract's up, so I guess I'll be looking for another carrier.

Pity... because the customer service at AT&T is great.

Karen

@cagekg wrote:

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@kbellwv wrote:

This is great info.  However, when trying to do it over the net, the URL I was provided led to a loop and could not be accessed.  (www.att.com/transfermynumber).

Won't split off a line, if I'm charged not only for starting another line, but on top of it for transferring the number.  That's just getting greedy on the part of AT&T.  My contract's up, so I guess I'll be looking for another carrier.

Pity... because the customer service at AT&T is great.

Karen

Not really sure what you are tryng to do, are you on a family plan and want to transfer one of the lines financial responsibilty to someone else or port the number to another carrier?

If you just want to transfer the billing responsiblity to another person, that person would be required to select a new single user voice plan and what ever features are required, on a family plan only the primary number is charged for the plan, the additional lines share the minutes for a 9.99 line fee. So when you transfer the billing responsiblity it is setup as a seperate account with the same number and what ever voice plan and features you choose. Ths is he exact same thing tha would happen at any other carrier that has a family plan.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Hi one of my friend is not paying the bill and I am a student from India I cannot pay the bill of him and is there any legal action I can take against him. I know where he stays and what he do can any one help me please I don't now that I am responsible for his billing.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

Do they still have a phone that is being paid for?

If no, then just cance their line.

If they still owe money, then you owe the money, it's your plan (sorry).

I'm thinking if they aren't paying they won't sign the paperwork to transfer responsibility...

(You could possibly take them to small claims court or something similar.)

When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution". This helps other people to find an answer more quickly.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

RE: FRUSTRATED

I have a 2 lines plan with my husband but every month my phones service get suspended due to him not paying on time is there anyway i can separate my line and pay my own bill please 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.