Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Someone is using my own phone number

Highlighted

Someone is using my own phone number

Some one is using my phone number on their caller ID. I have recieved 70-80 calls from people saying I called them. One guy said it was some sort of credit card offer. He then called the number back then got me. I have called 4 times to report this to AT&T and have went to the store once. On one call while  talking to the fraud department the guy tried to sell me direct tv. You would think that AT&T would be concerned about this considering all the number that have called me begin with 218-259-XXXX. These are all AT&T numbers.  Someone is obviously targeting AT&T customers for some sort of scam. And no one there seems to really give a xxxx. I have been a AT&T customer for 22 years with the same phone number. The only option anyone has given me is just change your number.

Message 1 of 53
ACE - Expert

Re: Someone is using my phone number

@ChevySilverado Sorry. There isn't anything they can do.  

Someone is just duplicating your caller ID info, it's completely outside AT&T's ability to stop it.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 53
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by Community Support (Community Support)
Accepted by ATTCustomerCare
‎01-31-2018 12:05 PM

This is called number spoofing.  It happens in short bursts and then the spoofer moves on.

Unfortunately this make this illegal practice hard to stop because no one can catch the spoofer.  

The spoofer uses a computer to fake a caller ID.  Then processes its sales calls.  

ATT, Apple and Google are working to prevent these, but it's still a work in process.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 53
Contributor

Apparently this is still an unsolvable problem for AT&T because I have made at least a dozen calls to the Go Phone / Pay as you go division and they have told me that the only solution is to change my number
I recently changed my cell phone number after moving from the Virgin islands back to the United States. My daughter was contacted through FaceTime and told by the teenage girl , who is using my number, that she is still able to use my number / her former number, to send and receive messages AND READ AND REPLY TO MINE
I have contacted both the FCC and FBI, as suggested by online sources found while researching the matter
Numerous messages have been sent to the intruding individual(s) , including instructions on how to resolve the problem and restore my privacy, just in case the intrusion was unintentional
Has anyone got anymore ideas?
Changing my number is not an option as it is already tied to all business and personal contacts.
Thank you for your assistance in this matter

Ryansright
Message 4 of 53
ACE - Expert

@Ryansright Being able to contact you with your old number via FaceTime or iMessage has nothing to do with ATT. You need to deregister that number from your iCloud account. Go to settings/FaceTime and settings/messages/send & receive to remove that number.

Message 5 of 53
ACE - Sage

@Ryansright

It is not a solvable problem.  The number spoofers are using a computer to illegally spoof a number or caller ID.  I've been referred all the way to the FBI by ATT.  Even the FBI is at a loss to prevent the problem and catch the perpetrators.  They have little insentive to try as it only amounts to a nuisance. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 6 of 53
Contributor

Hi: My name is Javier V M  my aka Name is : Jeovany Z

I am a tenants in DownTown Los Angeles Ca 90014 . USA.

a man Name Christian he is Mexican also he steel hang out here and my building with another tenant #  also he got my email address?  [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Message 7 of 53

I just received a text from a number with the same area code and prefix as mine, claiming I just called them. I told them that I have not called anyone yet today, but he produced a screenshot of the missed call. Not sure if this is something to be concerned about or not. It's probably just the "new" spam. For all I know the person who texted me could be a scammer.

Message 8 of 53
ACE - Expert

@chriswhite1203 Whoever texted you likely did receive a call from your number but that just means your number was spoofed by whoever did call them.

Message 9 of 53
Contributor

I just got a call from Macy's saying someone in a different state was trying to order something and the call dropped. So the sales lady called back and reached me. Said the name the person used was George Vaughn and claimed he sounded odd. Does this mean that person was trying to scam Macy's using my number? Will this effect me somehow? 

Message 10 of 53
Contributor

I've been receiving calls from phone numbers in my area (Maryland). I didn't recognize the numbers, so I didn't answer. One of these times, I clicked "ignore call with a message", and it sent the caller a text saying I can't come to the phone right now. Then I received a text back from that number saying, "I think you have the wrong number". I texted back, "I just got a call from you." The person again replied saying they didn't call me. I replied saying well, someone from your phone number just called me, you should report it to the phone company. Well I got a call from that exact same number just now. So this time I answered to confront the person. It was an automated credit card offer. I waited to see if there was an option to opt out of receiving more calls, but the call automatically disconnected. So I called the number back to speak to a manager or someone to tell them to take me off of their list. Except it was just a regular guy who answered the phone, not someone from a business. I said, I just got a call from you. He said that he had just received a call from someone else telling him that he had called them too, only he hadn't called either of us. He seemed genuinely confused. I told him well someone is using your phone number to call people. He said he would report it to his phone company.

Message 11 of 53
Contributor

Me too

Message 12 of 53
Contributor

This happened to me too. First, I was the one receiving the telemarketing calls. Recently, I have been getting calls and text messages from folks claiming that I called them. I just explained to them that the call they received was not actually me, it was actually a telemarketer using my phone number. I tell them to block my number to prevent calls from my number in the future. It is frustrating, but both sides cannot do much of anything about it so the best way to combat this is to spread the word.

AT&T cannot do a whole lot. What these telemarketers are doing is already illegal in the US. These telemarketers do not reside in the US. 

Message 13 of 53
Contributor

Same thing is happening to my wife’s phone number ATT’s only solution was to change the number for which they wanted $35.00 fee! Been with them since way back when they were cellular one! HORRIABLE customer service solution. Also wifes own recent calls are not registering on her phone, nor incoming call. One lady threatened her for calling her husband! NOT HER! Wife name and city location and phone number are showing up on these calls.

Message 14 of 53
Tutor

Just had to send 10 different texts to people I did not call but my number called them.  Been receiving a lot of calls lately from these numbers but just hit reject call because I'm at work.  One of the numbers finally sent me a text stating I was calling them non stop.  A little research and looks like I've been spoofed.  Now to explain to my boss why my phone is always going off during work hours.  Insane!  These punks need to be prosecuted.  

Message 15 of 53
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support