For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
......'s profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, February 4th, 2017 5:15 PM

Someone Else's Account Using My Email Address

I've contact AT&T several times over the past several years because I'm receiving billing and account emails for a user who I do not know. The issue has not been resolved yet, and today I actually received a past-due email for this user. Technically, I could reset his password and log-in to his account. I already have access to his account information, phone number, and User ID. I've even contacted the user, but neither AT&T nor the user have corrected this.

At one point, I tried to become an AT&T customer, but I could not register for an account using my email address because it is linked to another user. On top of that, the poor handling of this issue has made me reluctant to consider doing business with them.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

Unfortunately this happens when a customer enters the wrong email address.  Att has no way of correcting this without the user being aware and entering a correct email in its place.  

Lucky for them you are not a dishonest person.   I'm sure ATT Won't talk to you about an account that isn't yours.  It's dopey.

With the account in default, maybe they will now realize something is wrong and change it.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

It blows my mind the number of pay services that don't make you click a confirmation e-mail, but so many the free services do. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

1. I also have this problem and view it as a form of fraudulent activity and identity theft aided by AT&T.  We need laws to protect consumers.

• 

5 Messages

@Bobtail2 hi, did you mail a really creepy letter (with no return address) to the daughter of the person who you have accused of using your email address? 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

• I view this as fraudulent activity aided by AT&T when they refuse to resolve it. My email is also being used by someone else whose name isn't even close to mine, so no typo.  I have contacted AT&T and they refuse to do anything. We need to figure out what government agencies can help with this problem.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

How can you assume this other customer input a wrong email when not remotely close to his own? That makes no sense whatsoever. This is happening to me as we speak. I'm getting a guy's email even though in the body of the email it shows his correct email address. I asked him to recheck his account to make sure I'm not an alternate address. If he says he hasn't done this then it's got to be ATT

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I'm having the same issue. There is no way that the other person entered my email address by mistake since it's my first and last name at gmail.com. I can see his name on the incoming emails and there is no similarity whatsoever. I called AT&T about this issue for the 2nd time today and I was told that this guy might have lived at my address before. This seems plausible since I live in a rental property. It's scary that a billion dollar company can't fix a simple issue like this. I've been receiving emails about his account for over 2 years now!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

I've had the same problem & tried to use this forum to resolve it.

I think it's an issue that the customers have no idea their invoices & mails are being set to other people.
https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Account/Over-the-past-5-years-at-least-30-of-your-customers-are-using-my/td-p/5198330

• 

5 Messages

@someguyintokyo hi, did you mail a really creepy letter (with no return address) to the daughter of the person who you have accused of using your email address? 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Now I am receiving emails for another account as well. The latest email included the customer's PIN number. How is this happening? I really don't buy that two people have used my email address by mistake. I have a really unique name and it's not something that would be entered by mistake.

• 

5 Messages

@Alliejay hi, did you mail a really creepy letter (with no return address) to the daughter of the person who you have accused of using your email address?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Totally agree with you, ATT just won’t take responsibility for sharing peoples personal information. I emailed the company and they didn’t even respond, guess they don’t take it seriously.

• 

5 Messages

@Killersmile1961 hi, did you mail a really creepy letter (with no return address) to the daughter of the person who you have accused of using your email address?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Killersmile1961 They don't always respond in the COMMUNITY FORUM, it's not customer support.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.