Helpful Links

Scam? Call "from AT&T" asking for SS#

Contributor

Scam? Call "from AT&T" asking for SS#

I just got a call from a 1-800 number ending in 8804. It was a recorded message saying that my AT&T account had been flagged for security reasons, and to give the last four numbers of the social security of the account holder "after the beep" in order to avoid an interruption in service. It sounded very suspicious to me, so I hung up. It's not legit, is it?

Message 1 of 40
ACE - Master

Re: Scam? Call "from AT&T" asking for SS#

Luluna wrote:

I just got a call from a 1-800 number ending in 8804. It was a recorded message saying that my AT&T account had been flagged for security reasons, and to give the last four numbers of the social security of the account holder "after the beep" in order to avoid an interruption in service. It sounded very suspicious to me, so I hung up. It's not legit, is it?

No. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 40

I got messages from att to discuss my account they contacted me 3 ways,

1. Phone recorded message saying please call them which u can do by failing 611 from your handset.
2 . Letter in the mail which ask you to call them.
3. Text message asking you to call.

The did all 3 of those to me they never asked my to punch in numbers especially ssn that they already have.
Message 3 of 40
Tutor

Did you investigate further on this? 

Today I got the same call, but the starnge thing was that the calling number was mine.

Tags (3)
Message 4 of 40
Contributor

I got this same call, but I wasn't thinking and typed in my last 4 digits.  Now what?!  Help!

Message 5 of 40
Teacher

Thanks for the heads up! This post serves as a warning to everyone that that particular scam is prevalent these days so let us remain vigilant.

Message 6 of 40
Teacher

I found several phone numbers listed at Callercenter.com, too. The authorities might like to investigate on the complaints and get the scammers behind bars!

Message 7 of 40
Contributor

I just called by my own number claiming to be att asking...

I just called by my own number claiming to be att asking for last 4 digital of social security number
Message 8 of 40
Contributor

I got a call today a voice. The number was private. They said a satalite problem billed me over $100 for a international call and it sent up a red flag so they needed to know if I made one. They used the word "sir" before and after every sentence. I told them I don't make international calls. They called my cell which was highly unusual. I asked for I.D. They sent me a text with 6 digits that looks exactly like an AT&T text. It's just a online snapshot to get your confidence in them. Bottom line is they had my name and address and wife's name. Just needed my SS# last 4 digits. I was stupid and gave it to them. They said they were in Boise, Idaho but stammered. They were latino and chewing gum. I say "they" because when I asked to talk to the manager/supervisor it was the same voice not even altered. I asked for names of both and they gave me two non-latino names. I was having my wife lookup this scam on Google at the same time. They stalled me, went to a store within 30 minutes after adding a name to my AT&T account online and changing the address to NY, NY and bought 2 iphones. They also had my SIM cards remotely removed so my cell phone stopped working within 20 minutes. I called the real AT&T and had this purchase removed. I also had my password changed, etc. Then I contacted the credit agency to red flag them from using my SS#. My bank as well.

Message 9 of 40
Employee

This is why we have added the account passcode security and stopped using last 4 of SSN to accounts.

The scam is intended to get someone else added to your account as a retail authorized user and have the last 4 of the SSN. Then they go to an APPLE Store (usually always in NYC) and add lines. AT&T will never, ever call and tell you unsolicited and ask for information or request to add users or anything like that.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 40
ACE - Guru

@ATTMobilityCare can you please provide some additional information over here?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Alex
U-verse problems, ATTU-verseCare.
Cellular Problems, ATTMobilityCare.
Billing/other problems ATTCustomerCare
DirecTV Problems, ATTDirectCare
Please mark replies as solutions if it fixed your problem. This helps other members find answers quickly.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 40
Contributor

My mom just got a call from "an AT&T rep" (?) asking her for her social security number and other stuff to 'run a credit check' to access 'greater benefits on her account and to lock in a low 2 year price'. I told her to hang up, because even on the off chance that it was legit, what a shady way to do business. My scam sense was off the charts, not thinking AT&T would do that.

Message 12 of 40
ACE - Expert

theclaw wrote:

My mom just got a call from "an AT&T rep" (?) asking her for her social security number and other stuff to 'run a credit check' to access 'greater benefits on her account and to lock in a low 2 year price'. I told her to hang up, because even on the off chance that it was legit, what a shady way to do business. My scam sense was off the charts, not thinking AT&T would do that.

Most definitely a scam. ATT does not make such calls.

Message 13 of 40
Contributor

I just got a call from a legit ATT number asking if I was experiencing technical difficulties in my area. I thought strange call. Then he asked for me to verify my information and said I would be getting a temporary pin texted to me. I got the text but hung up. Then another person on my family plan got the same exact call. I logged in and changed my password immediately. Hope nothing happens...
Message 14 of 40
Contributor

I got the same phone call, the caller ID showed my own number calling me, and the recording said they were ATT and that I was flagged with fraud and to enter the last four of my social and actually did and then they hung up, I am FREAKING out now!  ADVICE?

Message 15 of 40
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support