For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Luluna's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, August 19th, 2014 3:03 AM

Scam? Call "from AT&T" asking for SS#

I just got a call from a 1-800 number ending in 8804. It was a recorded message saying that my AT&T account had been flagged for security reasons, and to give the last four numbers of the social security of the account holder "after the beep" in order to avoid an interruption in service. It sounded very suspicious to me, so I hung up. It's not legit, is it?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I would never have given my information out, I still am kicking myself that I did!! I just can't get over that!! You know NOT to do it and I have hung up on at least a DOZEN before but...at the same time, when you call your bank, AT&T or whoever...what is the FIRST thing they ALWAYS ask you for...."the last 4 of your social" that's what... At 10:30 at night, them saying "This is AT&T customer service holding for you, please enter the last four of your social to be connected....I did the dumbest thing EVER...and I entered it. My stomach just flipped over as I entered the last digit and it sank in what I had just done... instead of just hanging up and calling AT&T.... These scammers get smarter EVERYDAY, knowing 1-to call later in the day (or night) when your not exactly on your game and in my case was already in bed... and 2- go for a company that you do business with already. Looking here I see they told some people their service was going to be interuppted, please neter the last four of your social... It just makes you SO mad when people sit on the butts ripping hard working people off!!!

##-Please type your reply above this line -##

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

If they had known about the issue for almost FIVE months (which they clearly have) and that the scammers were using their names...YES! As a matter of fact when I called AT&T to ask them, what now? The customer service rep stopped me not even halfway through and said Yes Ma'am we are very aware of the situation and emailed me a "what to do now" email... So if they have gone SO far as to formulate an email for their customers as what to do AFTER the scam.....why not send us all an alert BEFORE the scam happens? They "assured" me they believe our credit isn't the target, it is our actual AT ACCOUNTS themselves so an authorized user can then be added, then allowing someone say 20 states away from you to walk right into an Apple store, renew ALL of our accounts with new 2 year contracts with new IPhones and Ipads (if you have a Tablet)...then when it is finally discovered we don't have to pay anyway so who cares....the new IPhones and Ipads have been sold on Ebay for Pennies... Now this was told to me by an AT&T customer Representative YESTERDAY!! YES, THEY SHOULD TELL ALL OF THEIR CUSTOMERS ABOUT THIS!! I consider myself rather common street start, have told people don't do this stuff, I've hung up on a dozen before. But when you call your bank, they ask for the last 4 of your SSN so when YOUR company (you think) wakes you up at 10:30 and says hold for customer service....I wasn't exactly thinking and I take 100% blame for it.... I just wish AT&T would have sent out as mass text saying "Hey guys this has become an issue with us and others, we will NEVER call you, especially from your own number (call me old but I thought ONLY your carrier had the ability to do THAT) boy have I learned)!

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@robnamyalford wrote:
If they had known about the issue for almost FIVE months (which they clearly have) and that the scammers were using their names...YES! As a matter of fact when I called AT&T to ask them, what now? The customer service rep stopped me not even halfway through and said Yes Ma'am we are very aware of the situation and emailed me a "what to do now" email... So if they have gone SO far as to formulate an email for their customers as what to do AFTER the scam.....why not send us all an alert BEFORE the scam happens? They "assured" me they believe our credit isn't the target, it is our actual AT ACCOUNTS themselves so an authorized user can then be added, then allowing someone say 20 states away from you to walk right into an Apple store, renew ALL of our accounts with new 2 year contracts with new IPhones and Ipads (if you have a Tablet)...then when it is finally discovered we don't have to pay anyway so who cares....the new IPhones and Ipads have been sold on Ebay for Pennies... Now this was told to me by an AT&T customer Representative YESTERDAY!! YES, THEY SHOULD TELL ALL OF THEIR CUSTOMERS ABOUT THIS!! I consider myself rather common street start, have told people don't do this stuff, I've hung up on a dozen before. But when you call your bank, they ask for the last 4 of your SSN so when YOUR company (you think) wakes you up at 10:30 and says hold for customer service....I wasn't exactly thinking and I take 100% blame for it.... I just wish AT&T would have sent out as mass text saying "Hey guys this has become an issue with us and others, we will NEVER call you, especially from your own number (call me old but I thought ONLY your carrier had the ability to do THAT) boy have I learned)!

There are lots and lots of scams. AT&T does not have the resources to tell you about all of them personally. That is an unrealistic expectation. 

Scholar

• 

335 Messages

6 years ago

for sure companies like ATT is doing something about it. like you, they are losing business as well. its just that they wont tell you what they are specifically doing to prevent further damages.

whats the sense of security protocol if they will just disclose it in public?

think of it this way, you knew that fraudster are being smarta*s, if they will know ATT security measure, they will find another way to scam people again.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

My father just received a phone call on his Straight Talk phone and got the same call from his own number.  He picked it up and the same message...This is AT&T and your account has been flagged.  We need the last 4 digits of your SS #.  He immediately hung up without giving them anything.  We immediately reported it lifelock.

Scholar

• 

335 Messages

6 years ago

seems like the fraudster has a list of att phone number which is not updated.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Just happened to me same thing your att account has been flagged please enter last 4 digits, knew it was a scam since this is my company phone not personal

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I just got the call on my cell phone saying my number was calling me.  As soon as it said it wanted the last four of my SSN, I hung up and went on the web.  I found this forum with others having same issue.

I know not to respond to questions about SSN and personal info, but if this is happening to several people under ATT (especially since all my numbers are NOT PUBLISHED) then there is an issue with someone getting a hold of issued phone numbers.

Scholar

• 

335 Messages

6 years ago

Im just curious,

if those fraud placed the upgrade for a new phone and tax is upfront, who owns the card thats being used to those order..is it same cust or different cardholder...?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

This has happened to me. They called my huband cellphone with his own number. I was confused as to how they could do this. Then they ask for the last 4 digits of his SS#. They said so that they could reinstate our phone with AT&T. This angers me so much. I automatically Block their numbers now!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.