For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Luluna's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, August 19th, 2014 3:03 AM

Scam? Call "from AT&T" asking for SS#

I just got a call from a 1-800 number ending in 8804. It was a recorded message saying that my AT&T account had been flagged for security reasons, and to give the last four numbers of the social security of the account holder "after the beep" in order to avoid an interruption in service. It sounded very suspicious to me, so I hung up. It's not legit, is it?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

We haven't been AT&T customers for years now, we went with Sprint because of where we live. However, we ported our AT&T phone numbers to the Sprint network...we are now getting 611 calls to BOTH of our cell phones requesting that we press one to reactivate our locked AT&T account. Was AT&T hacked? How do we report/stop these calls?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@annielouwho86 No, ATT has not been hacked and it is pointless to report the calls since they are not actually from 611. It is a scam or phishing call. Why they are calling your number, who knows. Probably because they are using an old lost of ATT phone numbers. I am sure if you proceeded with the call at some point it would ask for some personal information. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

This just happened to me TODAY... which is JANUARY the 11, 2018! I am so UPSET that when I searched it, At&T OBVIOUSLY HAS KNOWN ABOUT THIS FOR MONTHS AND NEVER EVEN ATTEMPTED TO NOTIFY CURRENT CUSTOMERS!!  I consider myself an overall smart person, especially when it comes to common sense things like scams, etc but I hate to admit...I fell for this one... As soon as I entered the last digit my insides turned and I knew I had just messed up and BAD!!! I went on all 3 credit bureaus immediately and froze my credit and TRIED to call my bank but...everybody is closed, I have to wait until 8am and freak out in the meantime! I am SO mad at myself for being SO stupid! I know better! BUT, now after seeing this...I am FAR more upset that a cell company I have been with for over 12-14 YEARS KNEW there was an issue with their customers getting these calls and they made NO ATTEMPT to let us know!! 

Has there been any issues since you received the call?  Thanks for posting!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Why didn't AT&T tell US, the customers about this issue? I searched this issue and here I am, finding out that this was happening MONTHS AGO! I just got the same call tonight....JANUARY the 11th, 2018 and unfortunately....I entered my social.. As soon as I entered it I knew I had messed up and immediately started damage control (as much as possible) but I am now TERRIFIED! And what makes me LIVID now is that here is the proof....my OWN provider, that I have been loyal to for 12-14 YEARS now, didn't so much as send me an email alerting me that this had been going on months ago. Thanks AT&T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

This happened yesterday to both myself and my husband as well. We did not provide information, however, it is obviously still a problem and it does sound like an official call from AT&T ( even using their tones). I hope this forum encourages people to remain vigilant. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@robnamyalford wrote:

Why didn't AT&T tell US, the customers about this issue? I searched this issue and here I am, finding out that this was happening MONTHS AGO! I just got the same call tonight....JANUARY the 11th, 2018 and unfortunately....I entered my social.. As soon as I entered it I knew I had messed up and immediately started damage control (as much as possible) but I am now TERRIFIED! And what makes me LIVID now is that here is the proof....my OWN provider, that I have been loyal to for 12-14 YEARS now, didn't so much as send me an email alerting me that this had been going on months ago. Thanks AT&T

It's not AT&T's responsibility to tell customers about every known scam that's out there. 

AT&T does have many websites notifying people of various potential scams: https://www.att.com/support/fraud-and-security.html

Scholar

• 

335 Messages

6 years ago

why blame att for you falling to fraudsters?

so if fraudster pretended as your bank, youll blame your bank as well?

its your responsibility not to fall for any kind especially nowadays.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

It's easy to be caught off guard-especially when something like this happens. It can really throw a person off balance the first time around. Amazing how clever people people are when creating fraud. A shame we can't trace the calls. I expect AT&T would have some interest in alerting customers. Good PR.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

This just now happened to me as well-from my own number with my name on the caller ID (my number is listed under the business name). It was within seconds of hanging up from a personal call so it threw me off for a second. I answered but didn't say anything. Nothing on the other end of the line either. After about 12 seconds the caller hung up. Interesting but disconcerting. Wish there were some guidance from AT&T to deal with this. I suppose this happens with other carriers and numbers? A good reminder to not give any information over the phone. Gosh, at this point I hesitate even if I'm the one to initiate a call for support from, say, a credit card company or my bank.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Att is not the only carrier having this happen. That’s why they haven’t said anything. It has been all over the news and internet and why anyone would give their social over the phone when every company tells you they do not ask for that over the phone (especially with a recording) is beyond me. I got this call today and hung up when it got to theSSN part.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.