Need help understanding your bill?
Luluna's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, August 19th, 2014 3:03 AM

Scam? Call "from AT&T" asking for SS#

I just got a call from a 1-800 number ending in 8804. It was a recorded message saying that my AT&T account had been flagged for security reasons, and to give the last four numbers of the social security of the account holder "after the beep" in order to avoid an interruption in service. It sounded very suspicious to me, so I hung up. It's not legit, is it?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Well, I am normally the most careful person in the world with this stuff. But for some reason, I was flustered at this call and blurted out my SSN digits. I didn't enter them on the keypad. Will I be OK since I didn't enter them, or do the robocall sites respond to voice too? Ugh, I will never do this again. But I hope I don't regret this.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

My wife, son, daughter and I (all on the same account) all got the same call on our phones from ourselves last night.  Thankfully none of us entered the last four digits.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Ok, so I recently got the same call. It stated the same things- "give up your social security number for security reasons"- blah blah. Just ignore it and immediately hang up. I actually just blocked my own number and I'm hoping it works.

Especially considering the time of night in which I received the call- led me to believe that my phone had been hacked.

Anyways, since we're near Christmas- these type of things will happen- so just stay on the lookout, use the right apps and websites and stay safe. Don't give your last-digits of your SSN to anybody (or any digits for that matter), especially since those are the most important digits of your SSN and provide easy access to your information.

But yeah, thank you for your posts-they helped me subside this fear and made me become aware of such things. Stay safe !

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

What I want to know is, if someone did provide their social and passcode, what do they do now? Especially since “it isn’t AT&Ts problem”. What could they do with that information and what would one need to do to prevent any bogus charges or hacks into their accounts? I would like some real answers.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@tjwhite What you should do is change your passcode. What the scammers normally do with that information is buy phones.

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

I was just called using my own number?? How do I block the spoofed number? I hung up knowing it was a scam but this spoofing of my own number is disconcerting

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I just got the same call on my cell phone, looking like I had dialed myself.  It was a recorded message saying "Your account has been flagged by AT&T; please enter the last 4 digits of the account holder's social security number."  The call looked like it was from my number and had my picture, name & place of work (from Facebook account maybe)?  Needless to say, I didn't respond.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

My hubby and I got the same calls, supposedly from our own cell numbers, this afternoon.  Easy to ignore, but I wish there was a way to block without blocking myself!  🙂

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I just got 2 of these calls.  I doubt AT&T would call asking for the last four digits of my social security number at 3:57 am.   They did have my name which is not on the account.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Michaelbiggsjr ATT will never make such a call at any time of day. Definitely a scam.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.