Need help understanding your bill?
Luluna's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, August 19th, 2014 3:03 AM

Scam? Call "from AT&T" asking for SS#

I just got a call from a 1-800 number ending in 8804. It was a recorded message saying that my AT&T account had been flagged for security reasons, and to give the last four numbers of the social security of the account holder "after the beep" in order to avoid an interruption in service. It sounded very suspicious to me, so I hung up. It's not legit, is it?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I had the same thing happen to me 2 days ago! It said it was call coming from my name & number "+ 2 more calls"....recorded msg asking for my SSN. I thought it was super fishy. I had been on a long AMTRAK train ride & was on the street outside a pretty empty  train station when I received the call. I know this thread is old but, was curious if anybody knew if this was done remotely i.e. is the person nearby cloning your phone? I'm really curious. Also more importantly, once somebody does this can they access other info on a passcode locked phone? Do I need to change all my passwords etc. etc.? I really hate doing that but then again don't want this to become a bigger issue. Thanks for any insight! 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

My husband and I each just got the same call. My Cel rang and my number showed up as the caller. I called AT&T and they said I have to speak to the fraud department, " you have to call tomorrow because they are closed now". I guess fraud only happens from 8am to 4 pm!

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I  called AT&T and they said it was a scam and that I should call the fraud department tomorrow because they're closed right now. I guess fraud only happens from 8 AM to 4 PM! 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Notta7 wrote:

My husband and I each just got the same call. My Cel rang and my number showed up as the caller. I called AT&T and they said I have to speak to the fraud department, " you have to call tomorrow because they are closed now". I guess fraud only happens from 8am to 4 pm!

That's called number spoofing. There's nothing AT&T can do about it and there's no fraud involving them. As long as you didn't give the caller any information, there's nothing more to do. 

Hopefully they'll get the idea soon and move on to other numbers. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I received the same call from my own number, there was a recording saying there were from AT&T that my phone was flagged and they need to verify the last 4 digits of my S.S.  I hanged up immediately, but now I'm concerned if they hacked my phone or my info. Any advise???

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I got the same call and it was from my phone number?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I got the same call today from my own number, so did my wife from her number?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Same thing here. It rings, I look and it's me calling me! Answer and automated voice says give last 4 #'s of ss. Now I'm challenged to say the least on this stuff but really AT&T? How did they call me from my phone #?

Please help!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

This happened to me. Is it a scam?

Guru

• 

382 Messages

7 years ago

There are computer programs that can make a phone call to appear from any number. It's called spoofing. Anytime anyone calls you and asks for personal info, don't do it!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.