Need help understanding your bill?
Luluna's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, August 19th, 2014 3:03 AM

Scam? Call "from AT&T" asking for SS#

I just got a call from a 1-800 number ending in 8804. It was a recorded message saying that my AT&T account had been flagged for security reasons, and to give the last four numbers of the social security of the account holder "after the beep" in order to avoid an interruption in service. It sounded very suspicious to me, so I hung up. It's not legit, is it?

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

8 years ago

@ATTMobilityCare can you please provide some additional information over here?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

My mom just got a call from "an AT&T rep" (?) asking her for her social security number and other stuff to 'run a credit check' to access 'greater benefits on her account and to lock in a low 2 year price'. I told her to hang up, because even on the off chance that it was legit, what a shady way to do business. My scam sense was off the charts, not thinking AT&T would do that.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@theclaw wrote:

My mom just got a call from "an AT&T rep" (?) asking her for her social security number and other stuff to 'run a credit check' to access 'greater benefits on her account and to lock in a low 2 year price'. I told her to hang up, because even on the off chance that it was legit, what a shady way to do business. My scam sense was off the charts, not thinking AT&T would do that.

Most definitely a scam. ATT does not make such calls.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I just got a call from a legit ATT number asking if I was experiencing technical difficulties in my area. I thought strange call. Then he asked for me to verify my information and said I would be getting a temporary pin texted to me. I got the text but hung up. Then another person on my family plan got the same exact call. I logged in and changed my password immediately. Hope nothing happens...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I got the same phone call, the caller ID showed my own number calling me, and the recording said they were ATT and that I was flagged with fraud and to enter the last four of my social and actually did and then they hung up, I am FREAKING out now!  ADVICE?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I had this same issue today on 5/17/17 a call from my own number, asking for my last 4 digits of my ss# then my pass code for my voicemail, I called my mother who is a straight talk cell user and within 5 minutes of me calling her to inform her of it she received the same automated call even though she is a non at&t customer.

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

7 years ago

Scammers wanting last 4 SSAN hoping you did not change your initial passcode.   

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

It's a scam. I got a call from my own number today too. Answered it and it was a recording and that they needed last four. I entered a fake one two times both different and the second one they took and then asked for my pin number I entered two different ones and the second one they took and hung up. Haha good luck getting anything with that.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Might have an answer for everyone about what some of these calls are. I also just received call with ID showing my number. When answered it said was ATT and to enter my S.S.#. My first thought was h*ll no and hung up. Then went online to this forum and assumed it was a scam. Thinking somebody might be making international calls. Went to my ATT account web page on laptop and signed in. Seen a message in my inbox. Message said I need to add a passcode to increase my account security. When I clicked on the message the next screen asked for last 4 of SS# and password. When entered those it said to make a passcode (which is different then password) 4-8 characters. I did that and went to another screen with my account number and blank spot for passcode. Entered that and all done.  

Hope this helps explain why receiving phone call. Not to say scammers are not using this method so I personally would not respond by phone. Instead go to your ATT account online and see if you have the same message in your inbox  and follow directions.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Sorry that happened to you! What a pain. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.