Need help understanding your bill?
Dcookie's profile

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

Wednesday, April 17th, 2013 1:23 AM

Recording a conversation???

Just have a question...I have no idea if it's possible but I was wondering if it's possible to record a cell phone conversation on a laptop??? 

Thanks in advance. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

It is possible to record conversations in lots of ways, with a separate device, on the phone itself, with an interposed callback service, by conferencing in a Google voice line, using Sipdroid, or even just by holding a recorder up to the phone.

If your friend is worried she's being recorded she should assume she is.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

294 Messages

11 years ago

Another thing to keep in mind as well though.

If you live in one of the following two-party consent states: California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington, it would be illegal to record conversations without everyone's permission.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

Sorry, maybe I should have siad it this way...is it possible to connect a cell phone to a laptop so that a conversation can be recorded and saved to it???? 

I don't want to know this for my own reasons but a friend thinks that her soon to be ex husband has been recording their cell phone conversations this way. I think she's paranoid, to tell you the truth, but I thought I'd ask for her.

Thanks!

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

True, but Dcookie's friend is worried that the other party might not care about that.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

Thank you both for the info. Yes, she lives in PA. I have also been advising her that it is illegal for him to be recording her without her knowledge.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

Actually, I don't know why he'd want to record their conversations in the first place since I don't believe he'd be able to use those in court, would he?

Since my friend seems to think she is being recorded, she is very careful as to what she has to say.

Thanks again, guys! 🙂

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

Good luck with everything.

One important point. If a phone call is made across state lines than federal law overrides, and I think federal law allows recording. Correct meet if I'm wrong.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks, harryspar and ujmnz..the calls are all within PA. At least I now have some info for her.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.