For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
kaybracon's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, February 18th, 2014 3:43 PM

Questions about data usage

I'm thinking about switching to AT&T to the non-contract plan (5 lines, 10GB , $175/month).

Can I assign each line a specific data limit (e.g. each kid gets 1.5GB, with the remaining 5.5GB split between my wife and I)?

If we go over our 10GB, does the data cut off, slow down, or automatically start billing us extra ($10/GB)?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@kaybracon wrote:

I'm thinking about switching to AT&T to the non-contract plan (5 lines, 10GB , $175/month).

Can I assign each line a specific data limit (e.g. each kid gets 1.5GB, with the remaining 5.5GB split between my wife and I)?

If we go over our 10GB, does the data cut off, slow down, or automatically start billing us extra ($10/GB)?

No, you can not assign a data limit to each line but you can individually disable data access via the myAT&T app so that if you see any line go beyond your limit, you can turn off their data.

No, data does not cut off if you go over the 10GB. You are automatically billed for another GB but the price is $15/GB.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks; I knew there had to be a catch.

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T will usually send notices when you start getting close, (65% & 90%)

if you go over, they provide an additional 1GB, but will charge $15 for doing.

There's a free option that sandblaster mention to manually cut it off. Feel free to use the MyAT&T app to keep track of each of the lines right from your own phone, and block it from there

There's a pay option, Smart Limits,  $4.99, per line (you might only want to get it for the troublemakers), from which you can set a limit.

There's a several hour delay for reporting, which you need to account for.

-Alex

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

One more question - Does AT&T allow you to upgrade your data plan in the middle of the month? So, if I see my usage is going to exceed 10GB, can I upgrade my plan to 15GB, and then downgrade it at the end of the month?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@kaybracon wrote:

One more question - Does AT&T allow you to upgrade your data plan in the middle of the month? So, if I see my usage is going to exceed 10GB, can I upgrade my plan to 15GB, and then downgrade it at the end of the month?

I'm not totally sure but I believe the answer is yes. With the legacy plans you were able to change your data plan during the billing month and you could even back date the change to the beginning of that billing period. You could then set your data plan to go back to the lower level at the beginning of the next bill cycle and all of this could be done via the online account manager or myAT&T app. I would be very surprised if that same feature has not been extended to mobile share. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.