Need help understanding your bill?
AW89's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, October 19th, 2011 6:04 PM

Question from a new ATT Customer

Hi Guys,

I am planning to make the switch to ATT wireless from my T-Mobile account within the next few weeks. Was wondering if you guys could help me answer a few questions. 

First, I am currently on a Family Plan with T-Mobile, to which I am NOT the primary account holder.  I would like to bring my T-Mobile mobile number over to ATT, to do so will I need to bring my T-Mobile Primary Account Holder with me when I register for an ATT account in the ATT store?  Or can I just bring the account number and name and switch it over myself?

Secondly, If I begin with an individual plan with ATT can I add more lines in the next upcoming months and eventually convert my individual plan over to a family plan? If so, is there a charge assessed with doing this?

Thirdly, are there any other fees assesed with opening up a line with ATT besides the price of the phone and the new activation fee, which I have read is $36 dollars-is that correct?

Fourthly, I use a lot of data but was trying to avoid paying the most for the highest level of data (which I believe is 4GB), if I use wireless through my iPhone is that still assessing me data usage? Are there any loopholes around that?

Thanks for helping me out guys, I'm excited to make the switch over to ATT, I have heard that they're awesome!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

Hi there - Will be happy to answer your questions:

First, I am currently on a Family Plan with T-Mobile, to which I am NOT the primary account holder.  I would like to bring my T-Mobile mobile number over to ATT, to do so will I need to bring my T-Mobile Primary Account Holder with me when I register for an ATT account in the ATT store?  Or can I just bring the account number and name and switch it over myself? - Typically yes, there are very few scenarios in which you cannot keep your number from another carrier. Please take a look at this site (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/transfer-your-number/) and check out the section called "Learn about Transferring Your Number". It contains answers to your questions and a lot of other great info. 

Secondly, If I begin with an individual plan with ATT can I add more lines in the next upcoming months and eventually convert my individual plan over to a family plan? If so, is there a charge assessed with doing this? - Yes, you can start with an individual plan and add lines to it. The charges you'll be assessed depend on the family rate plan you choose and the phones you purchase. Here are a couple links about family plans (http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=54050#fbid=JksbCLIT7p8 http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/family-cell-phone-plans.jsp)

Thirdly, are there any other fees assesed with opening up a line with ATT besides the price of the phone and the new activation fee, which I have read is $36 dollars-is that correct? - activation fee, price of the phone, the rate plans and features you choose are the basic costs (note - some people must pay a deposit, here is a link to the Wireless Customer Agreement that contains info about that (first section, question 1.6)

Fourthly, I use a lot of data but was trying to avoid paying the most for the highest level of data (which I believe is 4GB), if I use wireless through my iPhone is that still assessing me data usage? Are there any loopholes around that? - Any data used on a wifi network will not count toward the data use that you pay for. Here's a tool you can use to calculate how much data you might use in a given month (http://www.att.com/standalone/data-calculator/) and here is an article that discusses using wifi (http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/wifi.jsp) and finally, an article that helps you understand all the ways to check your data usage (http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=52377)

Welcome to AT&T! I hope to see you around the forums!

~jam

community manager

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

12 years ago

Good luck.  I hope you live in an area where they really do have service. I would test it fhe first week or so and return it immediately.

Once your 30 days are up you are stuck and they will not help you.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

That was not exactly relevant to my question. I don't think this forum's purpose is to bash ATT's service. Is there someone out there who can actually genuinely answer my questions?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks so much! That information was extremely helpful!

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

Glad to hear it. Please feel free to ask any other questions you have. 🙂

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

AW89 wrote:
Fourthly, I use a lot of data but was trying to avoid paying the most for the highest level of data (which I believe is 4GB), if I use wireless through my iPhone is that still assessing me data usage? Are there any loopholes around that?

The largest smartphone data plan allowance is 4GB, correct. You also have the feature of tethering in the 4GB plan if you use that feature at all.

As for Wi-Fi usage using your iPhone, data may or may not be transmitted depending on what setting you have the phone on. If you have both the mobile 3G network and Wi-Fi both on, chances are you will get some data transactions to where the Wi-Fi signal may have been weak for a second or two, and 3G kicked in to serve as a backup source. I would recommend to temporarily deactivate the mobile network before you turn Wi-Fi on. That way, you can ensure that no data will be counted against you.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks, that was helpful! I'll be sure to make sure only wi-fi is on when trying to limit myself on data usage.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

@AW89 wrote:

Thanks, that was helpful! I'll be sure to make sure only wi-fi is on when trying to limit myself on data usage.

You're welcome. 🙂 Great idea. It certainly is a good tip to pass along down the line. Unfortunately, most people don't know about it.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I'm also in AW89's boat and considering in switching to AT&T from T-Mobile within a month as I think it over and over again so that I don't make any mistakes in the process. The answers provided earlier, Jam, were great but...

What if I want to get two iPhone 4S preferably at the Apple Store for my sister and I.  Then head over to the AT&T store to add a FAN I'm eligible for and also migrate my parents over with two additional lines at the AT&T store. Would I be able to purchase two dumb phones at a subsidized price? Or does this have to be a one-shot deal?

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

12 years ago

You can add lines at any time at a subsidized price. it does not have to be all at the same time. Each line has its own contract on the one account.
To have more that 3 phones on a family plan, you must have at least the 700 minute plan. The 550 minute plan (limited to some areas) only allows 3 lines on the family plan.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.