Proration of Final Bill

Contributor

Proration of Final Bill

I recently transfered to Verizon from AT&T due to AT&T's inferior coverage in my area (otherwise happy with service but just couldn't deal with frequent dropped calls from my home/office).  I fulfilled my contract earlier this year.  I called billing and was told they can't prorate the final partial month. When I signed up I paid for a prorated month of service and don't understand why AT&T can't prorate the last month of service.  Is there a supervisor I can talk with - not getting anywhere with customer service agent!

Message 1 of 88
Tutor

Re: Proration of Final Bill

Maybe Google FI is the first one to get it right

Message 76 of 88
ACE - Expert

They are the only.   Are they competing with ATT, Verizon and T-mo yet?  Not even close.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 77 of 88
Highlighted
Contributor

I just got off the phone with AT&T because I was suppose to be prorated out after cancelling my account. I received a credit for one phone but not the other one that was on the same bill. They told me that it would not receive a credit because it was transferred to a different company. I have yet to find anything that shows me this, since I was on a month to month and not a contract. Can someone please tell me where I can find this? 

Message 78 of 88
ACE - Expert

blnatural wrote:

I just got off the phone with AT&T because I was suppose to be prorated out after cancelling my account. I received a credit for one phone but not the other one that was on the same bill. They told me that it would not receive a credit because it was transferred to a different company. I have yet to find anything that shows me this, since I was on a month to month and not a contract. Can someone please tell me where I can find this? 

As you wrote, billing is month to month, not day by day.   This is the case for all major carriers and all but one prepaid or minor carrier.  

Section 1.1 last paragraph. 

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement.html#whatIsTheTermOfMyService

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 79 of 88

My credit card company sided with me and refunded the partial payment (payment stops on the day my phone number is no longer with ATT).  A couple of weeks later, I received a letter from ATT that I own them for the amount that was refunded to me by my credit card company or they will:

-"refer your account(s) to an outside collection agency. This may result in a negative reference on your credit report"

-"we canceled your wireless service bacause your account remins unpaid"

Why so many lies ATT?  You did not canceled my service, I transferred it to another company.

I paid my account in full and you even sent my the receipt that I paid in full.

What an unethical company?  It really amazes how this company can go such low depth to trying to steal money from ex-customers.  I paid for the service I used up to the point of cancelation and they want beyond the date that they did not provide any service.   

Message 80 of 88
ACE - Master

@dontakemymoney wrote:

My credit card company sided with me and refunded the partial payment (payment stops on the day my phone number is no longer with ATT). 

I paid for the service I used up to the point of cancelation and they want beyond the date that they did not provide any service.   

That's incorrect, you pay for service by the month, not by the day. Check your terms of service.

I don't believe any of the top carriers protate. (At least none of the top 4).

• This is the public AT&T community forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When solved / helped, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...
    The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, it's particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post).
  • *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 81 of 88

News reporter: Mr. CEO/management, there has been reports of millions of complains that your company is forcing customers to pay for services after they have canceled their plans.  Do you have anything to say about that?

Mr. CEO/management: Will, it's in the contract, they need to look at the fineprints.

New reporter: You are correct Mr.CEO/management.  These millions of people over the years have payed you millions and millions are wrong.  How dare they refuse to pay?  They do need to give you their hard earn money for services they never used.  I mean it's in the fineprints and any judge will agree with you on that.

Message 82 of 88
    ACE - Master

Re: Just read it....

@dontakemymoney wrote:

News reporter: Mr. CEO/management, there has been reports of millions of complains that your company is forcing customers to pay for services after they have canceled their plans.  Do you have anything to say about that?

Mr. CEO/management: Will, it's in the contract, they need to look at the fineprints.

New reporter: You are correct Mr.CEO/management.  These millions of people over the years have payed you millions and millions are wrong.  How dare they refuse to pay?  They do need to give you their hard earn money for services they never used.  I mean it's in the fineprints and any judge will agree with you on that.

(You think) you're funny. If you'd spent less time than the time it took you to write the above, actually checking to see if it's proated, you wouldn't need to...

If I move out of an apartment I'm renting by the month BEFORE the end of the month are they going to refund me the rest of the month just because I didn't check the contract?

You assumed it should be prorated, so theirfore that's the way it should be??? 

• This is the public AT&T community forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When solved / helped, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...
    The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, it's particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post).
  • *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 83 of 88

I'm not laughing nor is millions of people who were forced to pay this fee laughing (and the millions more future ex-customers)

Just because they put it in the fineprints doesn't make it right and i'm sure you have missed something in contracts you have signed.

As I said before, there need to be a law to ban this type of practice.  If you think it's fair then i'm sure they wouldn't mind taking your money.

For the rest of the people who paid this unjust fee, we protest.

Message 84 of 88
    ACE - Expert

dontakemymoney wrote:

My credit card company sided with me and refunded the partial payment (payment stops on the day my phone number is no longer with ATT).   

I'm not believing your CC company sided with you. You disputed a charge and they agreed. Had they known you were disputing a legitimate charge, I doubt they would have credited you.

Message 85 of 88
    ACE - Master

@dontakemymoney wrote:

I'm not laughing nor is millions of people who were forced to pay this fee laughing (and the millions more future ex-customers)

Just because they put it in the fineprints doesn't make it right and i'm sure you have missed something in contracts you have signed.

Well now you know that Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile all do the same so don't be suprised in the future. I'm sure many of those ex-customers are finding their way to another company that does that same thing (some are finding their way to AT&T).

As I said before, there need to be a law to ban this type of practice. 

There should be a law that says you don't have to follow the terms of the agreement just because you didn't check it?

You've had a monthly contract for how long and now that you're leaving, you don't want it to be monthly?

If you wanted pay by the day, you should have gotten a different carrier.

Message 86 of 88

dontakemymoney wrote:

I'm not believing your CC company sided with you. You disputed a charge and they agreed. Had they known you were disputing a legitimate charge, I doubt they would have credited you.

How it works it that credit card company will get both sides story ( I provide them the my account info and explained the situation) and they will determine which side has more credibility.  It's not a legitimate charge and I hope everyone who had their credit cards charged will do that same.

I also hope everyone contact their congressmen and expose this type of unfair practice.

Message 87 of 88
    Employee

It's not the cellular carrier's fault someone did not read the terms and conditions. End of story really. Semantics and hypotheticals can be argued all day long and it does not change the facts.

AT&T does not prorate the final bill.

Verizon does not prorate the final bill.

Sprint does not prorate the final bill.

T-Mobile does not prorate the final bill.

US Cellular does not prorate the final bill.

This is an accepted practice in the cellular industry and whether someone considers it wrong or not does not really mean anything. There are no legality issues because it's totally legal for a carrier to do so because the carrier said upfront they would not prorate the final bill. It's in the terms and conditions. 

Employee Contributor*
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
    Message 88 of 88
    You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
    Share this topic
    Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support