Need help understanding your bill?
tarnation2002's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, December 12th, 2013 10:17 PM

Closed

Proration of Final Bill

I recently transfered to Verizon from AT&T due to AT&T's inferior coverage in my area (otherwise happy with service but just couldn't deal with frequent dropped calls from my home/office).  I fulfilled my contract earlier this year.  I called billing and was told they can't prorate the final partial month. When I signed up I paid for a prorated month of service and don't understand why AT&T can't prorate the last month of service.  Is there a supervisor I can talk with - not getting anywhere with customer service agent!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

294 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T chooses not to prorate the final bill. It's in their wireless agreement. You can request a supervisor, but they are under no obligation to waive it for you. 

5.1   What Are The General Terms That Apply To All AT&T Voice Rate Plans?

You may obtain usage information by calling customer service or using one of our automated systems. Pricing/Taxes/No Proration:Prices do not include taxes, directory assistance, roaming, Universal Service Fees, and other surcharges. Final month's charges are not prorated.

http://www.att.com/shop/en/legalterms.html?toskey=wirelessCustomerAgreement#howDoesAttCalcMyBill 

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Hey tarnation2002

First bill/last bill are different story. When someone calls to cancel, we educ to do it at the end of the billing period, because you're going to be billed for it regardless.

It's actually standard industry practice, check Verizon's T&C too, I know they do it.

To be clear, you were less than one month ahead, not more than 1 month. You typically pay for the month you're in.

-Alex

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Alex - I understand what you are saying, but TWICE I was told that my bill would be adjusted to the dates before I ported the number.  Two different call center agents told me this exact same information - and it was documented in the caller notes.  However, I am still being billed the full amount (vs the 3 days of service) and a $5 late fee.  

I would expect customers to be able to trust the information provided by the customer service agents when asked a direct question.  Finally, I would expect AT&T to stand behind it's employees - if they make a mistake, it's a training opportunity for the COMPANY not the consumer. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Hi,

I'm having the similar problem with my account now, i have cancelled my contract on the bill generation day and they have charged me for ONE FULL MONTH. The customer representative has mis guided me stating that the charges would be pro-rated. when i tried calling hte customer care they aren't correcting my bill. Can someone suggest me how did you approach on getting this fixed ? AT&T sucks, this isn't a good customer service company.

Regards,
Jag

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

9 years ago

You need to make sure to cancel service BEFORE the bill cycles out again.  And you should know what day of the month it is.  It's that day that says "Next bill cycle date: " when you look on the website or request an update on data usage.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I also was told the same thing and was surprised to see my final bill. I called customer service and they did not seem to know. This is definitely not good customer service! BAD!

Tutor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

ATT totally sucks!  I was told my final bill was prorated, so I waited until my number was ported to Verizon, then called to cancel.  AGAIN I was told I would receive a final PRORATED bill!

Well, not only did the final bill arrive WITHOUT PRORATION, it included a threaet to refer to the unpaid balance to a collection agency!

I called and waited on the phone for a very long time, then was told it was settled, the bill WAS prorated.  I paid the amount ATT requested.

Now I'm STILL getting bills. Granted they show a $0 balance, but why are you still bothering me ATT?!  I will NEVER in my life return to this bull___ company or use them for any other service.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Please AT&T, I believe it's time to improve your CCP's knowledge..before switching the carrier I called AT&T CCP to discuss on the final bill, I was told that the final bill will be send with PRORATED amount and he was the one turned off my auto payment..but what I received from AT&T is full month bill and 5$ for late fee..

anyway thank you so much for all the wonderful service that you have provided me..I have had many experience/reasons not to choose AT&T again.. thanks once again..

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I've a similar problem. Before cancellation of my service I had spoken to customer service and he made it very clear that last bill will be prorated. Even after cancellation when I called them about my final bill, I was told to wait for the bill to get prorated and then pay the amount but I received the bill in mail for the entire month with $5 late fee. I was only 3 days into the new billing cycle when service was cancelled and they charged for the entire month and the late fee!

This is a complete lack of ignorance from customer service and severe problem with ATT customer service training. I regret for being ATT customer for many years when they treat someone cancelling the service very badly and at that time suggest us to read the fine prints when their CCP themselves don't know about those fine prints and continue to give wrong information to the customers.

This is an opportunity for ATT senior management to correct his problem and ensure that the customers leaving the company are treated with the same service as new customers.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

9 years ago

No. None of the carriers I dealt with prorate final bills. I left Verizon 11 months ago, on the day before my last bill because I know they don't prorate.

No one would tell you any different.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.