Need help understanding your bill?
Danieldm's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, March 24th, 2017 8:09 AM

Predatory Promotion free phone

My wife and I swapped to at&t service during the promotional buy one get one event. During this process we had to pay three installments to begin receiving our credits and reclaim previously paid installments. This process went as advertised for the our first two lines. Last December at&t ran another promotion. This time it was a free phone when you port in a number from another carrier. So we port in and activated the line with the same requirements as before, we have to pay the first three installments. We decided it was such a good deal we would port and activate another line. With each phone i activated I meticulously conversed with the representative to make sure that I would recieve the promotion as promised. Now that we are 3 months in and on the fourth billing cycle for the added lines I decide to check on my bill credits. I am only receiving credit for one of the two added lines. After hours of basic low tier support I get escalated to a supervisor that tells me that during that promotion they only allowed one free phone. After the original sales agent assured me I would receive the promotional offer. After they allow you to cycle through 3 billing cycles to draw you into the contract and then tell you that there is nothing they can do about it. If that isn't predatory, I'm not sure what is. At least they are very polite when they tell you that they have you under contract and there is not very much you can do about it.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Danieldm This was the DirecTV promo, correct? 

Sorry, I believe the terms of the offer said one per year per wireless plan (I think it said "plan" and  not "account").

I'm not sure that printing it in the offer counts as "predatory", all you had to do was read the offer.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Did the sales agent for the second device know that you already got a free iPhone? If so, they should definitely have known that second phone would not be free but unfortunately them not knowing that doesn't make any difference since the promotion clearly stated only one free phone per plan/account.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

The promotion never clearly stated anything, I would not try to get something I feel like I would not be entitled too. Furthermore, the agent definitely knew about both phones. It was the same agent a few days apart. He also recognized me from the previous visit and asked me if I was back for another free phone.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

It was the direct tv promotion. I would love to see a copy of the add from December since the agent or myself did not know anything about the limit. The phones were galaxy S7's. I always try to read the fine print, and I don't recall anything about a limit.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.