Need help understanding your bill?
kodachrome's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, February 10th, 2016 6:16 AM

Porting a number from Verizon to AT&T

I have had Verizon for years, but I've been wanting to switch carriers, and my son has offered to add my line to his AT&T Mobile Share Value Plan.  I have a few logistical questions, though:

1. Can he add my line with my existing phone number to his AT&T plan, even though my number has a different area code and is in a different state than his other lines?  Are there any restrictions on who he can add to his Mobile Share plan?

2. If we can add my line to his account, can I port my phone number from the Verizon account in my name to the AT&T account in his name?  

3. If it is possible to port the number, what is the best way to do this?  Should he go to an AT&T store with the new phone and then call me on my existing phone from the store to get my authorization to port the number, or should I visit an AT&T store with the phone and have them call him for authorization to add the line to his account?  Or is there some way this can be done online?  Since we're in different states, I'm just not sure how to go about this.

3. I will need to pay an early termination fee to Verizon. Maybe this is the wrong forum to ask this in, but do I need to pay this before I can port the number to AT&T, or will Verizon just include the ETF on the final bill?

Thanks for any advice you can share.

Don

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

Your son will have to port your number to his account, but that will require your account information , passwords etc so that Verizon will release your number.  it doesn't matter that the number is different.  The limit of lines on an account is 10 

He will need to add you as an authorized user and provide you with passwords so you can purchase a phone and add it to the account.  

The account will be in his name, his billing address.

Your current Verizon phone may work on ATT.  (Which phone do you have?)

Your son can probably do this all online with your information.  The port isn't complete until you have a sim card to activate in a phone.  A SIM card can be mailed to him (not you).  For the security of the account owner, orders can be sent to the billing address only.  He can the forward the sim to you.

After you port out, your Verizon account is canceled and a final bill with ETF will be sent to you.

As long as your account is current, Verizon will release your number.

Questions for you:   

Are you sure ATT will work in your area?  While I have use both ATT and Verizon (18 years until 2 years ago). My area is equally "covered" according to the map, but Verizon is far more consistent and better reception.  It's a spectrum thing and Verizon just has more access.   

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

1. I don't think that there are any area code restrictions. There used to be years ago, but that is no longer the case. Your son can add anyone to his account as long as he has the proper authorization, account numbers, security codes, etc.

2. Yes, you can port the number from your name on Verizon account to his name on AT&T account.

3. The best way to port is for your sont to go to AT&T with all your account information. AT&T will port the number away from Verizon to AT&T and close the Verizon account.

Your ETF will be billed with your final bill.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you, @lizdance40 and @kdfederer!   That's exactly what I needed to know. 

Lizdance40, thanks for the suggestion that I might be able to use my current phone; as it turns out I'm wanting to get a different phone anyway, though. 

"Are you sure ATT will work in your area?"

AT&T did not used to work well in this area (very rural, high mountains of Colorado) for many years, and Verizon was pretty much the only choice. They must have done something in the past year or so to improve service, though, because I know a number of people here who have AT&T now, and they haven't had any problems.

"It's a spectrum thing..."

This is one thing that concerns me.  Despite my son's protestations, I'm set on a flip phone -- I just want something that makes phone calls! -- and I've been looking at refurbished or used AT&T-locked or unlocked phones on Amazon, etc., because there's a very limited selection of new ones on att.com  Is it possible that the older phones will not get as good service as the new ones if they don't support as many bands?  I'm not really sure I know how to ask the question I need to ask, but I've noticed that that some phones have 3 bands while others have 4, for example.  If it helps, I know we don't have 4G in this area, and again, I'm just concerned with making phone calls.

Thanks,

Don

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

A Verizon flip phone will not work with ATT, so a new phone it is.

The selection of flip phones is limited and as 2G service is shutting down, you need a 3G phone.

The ZTE z222 is what my father purchased.  Minimalist shall we say?

There are a few slightly larger options if you like bigger buttons. 

What ever you chose has to be ATT compatible, and phones on Amazon may not last if they are 2G only.

Feel free to ask the seller or us if a phone is 3G

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks, lizdance; that's very helpful.  And yes, the phones I'm looking at do have 3G.  Appreciate all your help!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I have Verizon looking into switching to Att, but does ATT have the hum device used in my vehicle through Verizon ,Does ATT I have a comparable device? If not what happens to this device??? Can it be exchanged for another product like tablet or anything?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

ATT has "Car connect".  Same services as Hum.

https://www.att.com/devices/audiovox/car-connection-elite-series.html#sku=sku6900244

These devices are not able to be unlocked and are carrier specific.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.