Need help understanding your bill?
FlamingoMyra's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, November 26th, 2018 4:35 AM

Port number out?

I am a postpaid customer. I currently have my phone on a device payment plan. Can I port my current mobile phone number out to another carrier (work requirement) but keep the phone i am paying on with AT&T and just get a new cell phone number? I don't have the extra money this close to Christmas to pay the phone off. Since, I am going to have keep my work phone with me all the time I would prefer keeping the number I've had for years now. Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

5 years ago

Unfortunately, once you port out the number, the account is automatically closed and the remainder of any money still owed on the phone becomes immediately due.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@Miaka123 wrote:

I wanted to pay off my AT&T Next and switch to a prepaid from different carrier. So i have to port my number first, pay off my phone balance, wait for the final bill and then my AT&T account will be closed? Then I can go ahead and request AT&T to openline my cellphone? Correct me if I’m wrong. 

And will I still owe something like the ETF?

Thank you so much. 

@Miaka123 That is correct but you won’t be able to use your phone on the other carrier until it is unlocked unless that other carrier uses ATT’s network. If you need to unlock your phone first, you should pay it off, get it unlocked, then port your number. There is no ETF. Your only obligation is to pay off your phone. Your final month of service on ATT is not prorated so try to port near the end of your billing month.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I wanted to pay off my AT&T Next and switch to a prepaid from different carrier. So i have to port my number first, pay off my phone balance, wait for the final bill and then my AT&T account will be closed? Then I can go ahead and request AT&T to openline my cellphone? Correct me if I’m wrong. 

And will I still owe something like the ETF?

Thank you so much. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.