For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
lifted96chevy's profile

Explorer

• 

9 Messages

Saturday, April 19th, 2014 5:30 PM

Phone Unlocking - Need Help

So I recently upgraded both of my lines with a Note 3 and an iPhone 5s. I sent a request to unlock my old Galaxy SII Skyrocket and recieved a reply that I had recently upgraded and needed to wait 14 days. So I waited and resubmitted the request and now recieved a reply that because I'm under contract they will not allow me to unlock my OLD Galaxy SII Skyrocket.....this is rediculous and I'm hoping one of the staff members on here could help me out.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@lifted96chevy wrote:

So I recently upgraded both of my lines with a Note 3 and an iPhone 5s. I sent a request to unlock my old Galaxy SII Skyrocket and recieved a reply that I had recently upgraded and needed to wait 14 days. So I waited and resubmitted the request and now recieved a reply that because I'm under contract they will not allow me to unlock my OLD Galaxy SII Skyrocket.....this is rediculous and I'm hoping one of the staff members on here could help me out.

OK, when did you purchase the old phone?  Was it more than 2 years ago?  Was the full 2 year contract for that phone fulfilled?  If not, then that would explain why you can't unlock your old phone.  My wife had and iPhone 4 on her account we purchased in March when we got it for her.  She had gotten it wet and, even though it still worked, it had some minor issues.  She was eligible for an upgrade in November (a little over 4 months before her 2 year contract was up).  When I requested an unlock for her old iPhone 4 it was rejected because the 2 year contract term on that phone was not satisfied yet (even though she had a new contract on a new iPhone 5).  Once we waited until after her original contract on the iPhone 4 was up, the unlock went through without any issues.

Perhaps you are being rejected for unlocking the old phone because the 2 year contract from when it was purchsed has not yet been fulfilled...

Scholar

• 

121 Messages

10 years ago

If you're unable to have AT&T unlock your old device, then simply do a Google search for what you want. Example: "AT&T Samsung galaxy sII skyrocket unlock".

If you're semi-tech savvy, then you will be able to follow instructions on how to unlock your old device.
If AT&T denied your unlock request, then this will be your only solution.

Explorer

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

@GeekBoy wrote:
OK, when did you purchase the old phone?  Was it more than 2 years ago?  Was the full 2 year contract for that phone fulfilled?  If not, then that would explain why you can't unlock your old phone.  My wife had and iPhone 4 on her account we purchased in March when we got it for her.  She had gotten it wet and, even though it still worked, it had some minor issues.  She was eligible for an upgrade in November (a little over 4 months before her 2 year contract was up).  When I requested an unlock for her old iPhone 4 it was rejected because the 2 year contract term on that phone was not satisfied yet (even though she had a new contract on a new iPhone 5).  Once we waited until after her original contract on the iPhone 4 was up, the unlock went through without any issues.

Perhaps you are being rejected for unlocking the old phone because the 2 year contract from when it was purchsed has not yet been fulfilled...

This is where it gets tricky....the line had a 2yr contract started on 3/31/12 with a Blackberry Torch that I don't have anymore. About a year ago I bought the used GSII Skyrocket on Ebay and used it for the remainder of my contract. Would it be possible that the person I bought the Skyrocket from still has a contract on it? I guess I'll do what christopherjones says above and do it that way. I'm sure I could do it, just thought I would give the "right way" a chance, but it appears the "right way" isn't the best way LOL 

Thanks for the help guys 🙂

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@lifted96chevy wrote:

This is where it gets tricky....the line had a 2yr contract started on 3/31/12 with a Blackberry Torch that I don't have anymore. About a year ago I bought the used GSII Skyrocket on Ebay and used it for the remainder of my contract. Would it be possible that the person I bought the Skyrocket from still has a contract on it? I guess I'll do what christopherjones says above and do it that way. I'm sure I could do it, just thought I would give the "right way" a chance, but it appears the "right way" isn't the best way LOL 

Thanks for the help guys 🙂

Well, it is possible that the seller had purchased the phone under contract, and sold it before they met the terms of their contract, or worse, they sold it, cancelled their service, and never paid the ETF.  If it is the contract, then you should be able to get it unlocked as long as the 2 years since the original contract is up.  You can only guarantee that about a year of it is up, so you may have to wait another year to get it unlocked.

Now if they cancelled and never paid the ETF, then you will never be able to get it unlocked.  I say never, because it is highly unlikely that they will ever pay that fee, so your phone wouldn't qualify for the unlock until it is paid...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.