Pay As You Go in canada

Tutor

Pay As You Go in canada

Hi Guys,

Looking to see if the pay as you go phone will roam in montreal canada? I can't see coverage on the map but if you go on rogers website it's go full coverage.

Thanks

Message 1 of 25
Professor

Re: Pay As You Go in canada

mikl730 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Looking to see if the pay as you go phone will roam in montreal canada? I can't see coverage on the map but if you go on rogers website it's go full coverage.

Thanks

Yes. Canada roaming is a new feature.

Message 2 of 25
Tutor

Check out the coverage link on this page. http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/gophone-international-roaming.jsp It stops service at monteal. Its says it uses rogers and if you go on their website montreal has full service.

Message 3 of 25
Professor

Sorry. You're right. I looked at the roaming section that said AT&T has "GSM 850 - live." So you are right that you can't roam in Montreal. You can roam if you're at the west edge of Montreal. It's too bad that the 3G 850/1900 are not included in AT&T roaming.

Message 4 of 25
Tutor

I already bought a pay as you go phone to use in Canada because the Verizon rates are so high. I hope the maps are wrong but I will give you guys an update
Message 5 of 25
Professor

Yep. Good luck. Have a good trip. We will appreciate your report.

Message 6 of 25
Tutor

I really hope the coverage map is wrong or old. The 3g map shows it covered, so if there is 3g must also be gsm/edge there?

I hate blowing money for nothing. Was just trying to save a few dollars on roaming or 20 lol. If you see this press coverage it clearly says montreal would be covered. http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=20597&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=32366&mapcode=consumer|mk-att-go...

Also check out the rogers gsm service map. Which the other coverage map says ATT is using. 

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless_network?setLanguage=en&cm_mmc=Redirects-_-Consumer_Wirele...

I'm leaving Oct 7th to the 18th. Thx for the luck!

Message 7 of 25
Professor

The first URL is further proof that Montreal is covered by AT&T roaming.

You may be right about the map problem.

It seems that there is a problem with the drop down menu of the URL a couple of posts back. But if I use the Country Index (instead of the drop down menu) and then drill down to United States, I can see that AT&T roaming includes GSM 850/1900 and 3G 850/1900. I can see that if I zoom in to Montreal with the 3G 850/1900 technology option, there's pretty good coverage. Here's the URL assuming that it does not expire:

http://maps.mobileworldlive.com/network.php?cid=280&cname=United States

Based on that, I think that while GSM 850/1900 coverage would be generally available elsewhere in Cananda (try Calgary), only the 3G 850/1900 bands are available in Montreal.

If your handset is for AT&T and if it is 3G capable, you're good to go. I also recall that a few Nokia world phones would work too.

Message 8 of 25
Tutor

I'm a sprint / nextel / verizon boy. Don't know that much about GSM. I have an 9650 that the sim card from my go phone works in. Does this have the correct frequecys you talk about?

Message 9 of 25
Professor

mikl730 wrote:

I'm a sprint / nextel / verizon boy. Don't know that much about GSM. I have an 9650 that the sim card from my go phone works in. Does this have the correct frequecys you talk about?

That's a very nice phone that has GSM and CDMA capability. I can find only the 3G 2100 spec on the Blackberry 9650 web site. I doubt if the GoPhone in 9650 would work in Montreal. However, if you also have Sprint/Nextel/Verizon service, have you already looked into their roaming service?

Message 10 of 25
Tutor

9650 is my old Sprint Phone and my work phone is a nextel. Wont be spending the company money on my vacation lol. My personal phone is Verizon. I'll use Verizon as a last resort, i have international mode activated on my iphone.  But thanks for all your effort i'll give it a go!

Message 11 of 25
Professor

Smiley HappyYou're welcome

Message 12 of 25
Scholar

It will WORK ANYWHERE in Canada where there is Rogers coverage (check www.rogers.com).

The gsmworld maps are OLD because they require manual carrier updating. Their coverage is similar to anywhere AT&T has coverage.

It uses standard ANYWHERE Americas 850/1900 bands 2G+3G ANY AT&T phone.

Message 13 of 25
ACE - Guru

AT&T Gophone Roaming in Canada only works with Rogers Wireless!!! But  someone in AT&T told me its works with Bell and Telus Too!!!!

It will  works with GSM 850/1900 and 3G .So, most AT&T gophone will work fine in Canada.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 25
ACE - Guru

Just an update,everything works fine(Just like in USA) when roaming in Canada with an AT&T Gophone,Smiley Happy just by mistake,I press the AT&T apps store button, loaded 1 page, I got nailed  US$1.63!!!!!Smiley Mad

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 25
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support