Need help understanding your bill?
mikl730's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Friday, September 16th, 2011 2:52 AM

Pay As You Go in canada

Hi Guys,

Looking to see if the pay as you go phone will roam in montreal canada? I can't see coverage on the map but if you go on rogers website it's go full coverage.

Thanks

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

13 years ago

@mikl730 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Looking to see if the pay as you go phone will roam in montreal canada? I can't see coverage on the map but if you go on rogers website it's go full coverage.

Thanks

Yes. Canada roaming is a new feature.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

13 years ago

Check out the coverage link on this page. http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/gophone-international-roaming.jsp It stops service at monteal. Its says it uses rogers and if you go on their website montreal has full service.

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

13 years ago

Sorry. You're right. I looked at the roaming section that said AT&T has "GSM 850 - live." So you are right that you can't roam in Montreal. You can roam if you're at the west edge of Montreal. It's too bad that the 3G 850/1900 are not included in AT&T roaming.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

13 years ago

I already bought a pay as you go phone to use in Canada because the Verizon rates are so high. I hope the maps are wrong but I will give you guys an update

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

13 years ago

Yep. Good luck. Have a good trip. We will appreciate your report.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

13 years ago

I really hope the coverage map is wrong or old. The 3g map shows it covered, so if there is 3g must also be gsm/edge there?

I hate blowing money for nothing. Was just trying to save a few dollars on roaming or 20 lol. If you see this press coverage it clearly says montreal would be covered. http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=20597&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=32366&mapcode=consumer|mk-att-gophone

Also check out the rogers gsm service map. Which the other coverage map says ATT is using. 

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless_network?setLanguage=en&cm_mmc=Redirects-_-Consumer_Wireless_Eng-_-Network_0909-_-coverage

I'm leaving Oct 7th to the 18th. Thx for the luck!

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

13 years ago

The first URL is further proof that Montreal is covered by AT&T roaming.

You may be right about the map problem.

It seems that there is a problem with the drop down menu of the URL a couple of posts back. But if I use the Country Index (instead of the drop down menu) and then drill down to United States, I can see that AT&T roaming includes GSM 850/1900 and 3G 850/1900. I can see that if I zoom in to Montreal with the 3G 850/1900 technology option, there's pretty good coverage. Here's the URL assuming that it does not expire:

http://maps.mobileworldlive.com/network.php?cid=280&cname=United States

Based on that, I think that while GSM 850/1900 coverage would be generally available elsewhere in Cananda (try Calgary), only the 3G 850/1900 bands are available in Montreal.

If your handset is for AT&T and if it is 3G capable, you're good to go. I also recall that a few Nokia world phones would work too.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

13 years ago

I'm a sprint / nextel / verizon boy. Don't know that much about GSM. I have an 9650 that the sim card from my go phone works in. Does this have the correct frequecys you talk about?

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

13 years ago

mikl730 wrote:

I'm a sprint / nextel / verizon boy. Don't know that much about GSM. I have an 9650 that the sim card from my go phone works in. Does this have the correct frequecys you talk about?

That's a very nice phone that has GSM and CDMA capability. I can find only the 3G 2100 spec on the Blackberry 9650 web site. I doubt if the GoPhone in 9650 would work in Montreal. However, if you also have Sprint/Nextel/Verizon service, have you already looked into their roaming service?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

13 years ago

9650 is my old Sprint Phone and my work phone is a nextel. Wont be spending the company money on my vacation lol. My personal phone is Verizon. I'll use Verizon as a last resort, i have international mode activated on my iphone.  But thanks for all your effort i'll give it a go!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.