For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
notscrewedbyya's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, November 29th, 2018 10:00 PM

No more prorate.

I guess everyone is lesaving att and now they are giving trying to say you can only cancel on the last day of billing cycle or bill will not be prorated.   SIMPLE SOLUTION...the services shall not be prorated either.   Att cuts service when they cut bill!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I have to pay a $199.98 bill for 1 day of service. Never will I ever get service with AT&T again. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

What’s wrong with your statement is it fails to answer to the claim of it being right or wrong. Just because something is in the t/c (which every carrier knows customers don’t read 15 pages of t/c, when signing up) or every carrier does this is irrelevant. Perhaps they should hide in their t/c that they bill year to year or decade to decade. Think before you answer a question. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

You must be a really loyal “customer” having posted 60,973 posts since 2014. Obviously and ATT employee in the department setup to scan the web and social media for negative att posts and then respond to them. Sad. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@Mow7861 wrote:

You must be a really loyal “customer” having posted 60,973 posts since 2014. Obviously and ATT employee in the department setup to scan the web and social media for negative att posts and then respond to them. Sad. 

Actually read all my posts.  I’m often very critical of At&t.  Everyone is identified properly.  I don’t get paid, kick back or discount or free phones for posting.  I’m semi retired and what I do with my free time is my choice. Some people watch GOT or play video games, not my thing. 

https://forums.att.com/t5/Apple/No-Service-for-3-months/m-p/5891790#M315091

https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Account/My-att-Phone/m-p/5893613#M293797

https://forums.att.com/t5/Network-Coverage/Inadequate-Network-Coverage/m-p/5893567#M77457

https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Billing/Major-issues-with-AT-amp-T/m-p/5893713#M155345

https://forums.att.com/t5/Apple/Domistic-coverage/m-p/5894304#M315244

https://forums.att.com/t5/Account-Usage/Unauthorized-charges/m-p/5892023#M3861

And if the discussion turns to unlocked non carrier androids, then it gets ugly.    I don’t like or use branded phones if I can help it.  Now that Pixel 3 gets WiFi calling, I’m done with Samsung’s lousy antennas 

Guru

• 

561 Messages

5 years ago

I am so sick of people posting things like that. If you feel that the 15 pages are an unreasonable hassle, here are some things you CAN do:

-Just s*ck it up and read the 15 pages (yes, some people actually do), or

-Don’t buy a cell phone, or

-Just accept that there will be some unpleasant surprises since you weren’t paying attention.

You can also:

-Start petitions and write congresspeople to advocate for changes to laws

Here is something you CAN’T do:

-Just ignore the terms and declare that you are above the law because you are lazy

It was your choice to agree to the terms and your choice not to read them. Now it is time for you to take responsibility for your actions. There is absolutely no legal requirement that contracts have to be “fair.”

*Please note that this is not word filter evasion because my usage is not a swear word. It was just wrongfully flagged by the forum

software.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@Mow7861 wrote:

What’s wrong with your statement is it fails to answer to the claim of it being right or wrong.

This isn’t a morality play.  Terms and contracts are set up and you agreed to them.  Just like renting an apartment, or subscribing to Netflix, you pay for a full month, it’s your problem if you don’t stay and use it. 

Just because something is in the t/c (which every carrier knows customers don’t read 15 pages of t/c, when signing up)

I must be one odd, paranoid duck then.  I actually stood in the store and read off the tablet before I signed on.

or every carrier does this is irrelevant.   Not irrelevant, because if you don’t read, you’re making the same mistake again.  Now who is at fault if you make the same error again?  

Perhaps they should hide in their t/c that they bill year to year or decade to decade.

They don’t hide anything.  You just couldn’t be bothered. 

Think before you answer a question.   Think what?  Some snowflake, rules don’t apply, live in a basement and play video games, millennial type delusional ideology?    I live in the real world.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Every service I've ever had prorates their service.

This is how ATT got so big. Worth billions, they are willing to steal from the little guy who is trying to make ends meet.

ATT has the money to lobby legislatures and pay high powered attorneys.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

Every service I've ever had prorates their service

@muggedbybigcorp Then I guess you’ve never had cellular service because none of them, except google Fi, have ever prorated to my knowledge.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@muggedbybigcorp wrote:

Every service I've ever had prorates their service.

This is how ATT got so big. Worth billions, they are willing to steal from the little guy who is trying to make ends meet.

ATT has the money to lobby legislatures and pay high powered attorneys.

Nope.  I have had Dish TV,  Xfinity, Cox, AT&T and frontier for tv/internet.  They do not prorate, and some of those go back 30 years.  Cellular, Verizon (17 years), and AT&T (for 5) neither prorate.   Both t-mo and Sprint TOS say you pay monthly, no partial months when you leave.  Prepaid, is paid in advance, so no refunds on service there either.  

AT&T announced last year it was no longer going to prorate TV and internet to fall in line with other providers.   As usual AT&T is always last to do things.    In this case that was a good thing for customers until this year.  

If you know you are leaving your TV and Internet provider, and you know it’s mid month according to your bill cycle, you can change your bill cycle to match the date of departure ahead of time to avoid overpaying. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Well, I am as well just another customer of At&t that was not aware of this (fine print) change until I have cancelled my cellphone service in the beginning of my billing cycle. The phones had been disconnected immediately, as well as the numbers had been ported to the new provider.

I believe I am a part of 99% of all customers who do not read the fine print, and/or changes in the middle of receiving their services, not because I am illiterate or lazy, but because I want to trust that my interests as a customer are being kept/preserved at very best possible by the company -- just in order to keep me as a customer. That is what a good business is (should be) interested in. Otherwise why would I even be a customer of such company?

Let alone to mention a fact that I simply do not have time and/or will to loose waste my time on reading the fine prints of change of terms every time they are changed. Does this fact make me a blunt/dumb customer? I think the answer is yes. . . but then again, I am a part of 99%.

My point here is that although the 70$ I lost as the prorated amount (that I believe should have been returned to me as by any good business) are really not that important to me, but this pain will be remembered by me in the future. So, would I ever consider changing my provider in the future . . . Of course. It happens regularly to everybody. Would I consider At&t as my possible option?

Not sure. Actually I am sure I am not going back to this kind of provider . . .

So, to summarize all of this I am just leaving my comment here to say to the company that this move was a very bad business decision (in my humble opinion, of course). And that this move has just solidified my negative opinion about this business. Now this pain will always be reminding me to never return back to such business in my future endeavors. For as long as my memory will be serving me right, of course. 🙂

Best of luck for everyone else who this forum/info may help!

P. S. to ACE :

I just wanted to thank you personally for being such a diligent and thorough with your helpful info here. Although based on how you are leaning on your answers it sounds like you are an employee of At&t, I still tend to believe that you are just trying to help sincerely, and kudos to you – you sound as a very well-spoken and reasonable person. Which is rare nowadays. Thank you for contributing your time and knowledge here!!

Even if I try my best I could not be that informative and provide facts here as you did; Also, to be honest I am not switching my various service-providers very often . . . BUT as far as I can remember back in history it was rather a normal practice by business to give back prorated amount back to a customer. May be it was just my luck, or maybe it was second-level support (supervisor/manager lvl), but this is a clear impression in my mind from many years of being a customer. I am 47 y.o.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.