Need help understanding your bill?
talejln's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, February 3rd, 2014 10:15 PM

New family plan questions.

Hello all,

I have a question about the new AT&T family plan. Currently, we have two iphones (one on the old infinite data plan) and two dumb phones. We would like to have 4 iphones on the new plan, but there is some fine print I want clarified. If we move from our current plan to this new plan (4 lines for 160$ a month, infinte talk/text + 10gb shared data), do we pay full price for phone (as is specified for new-to-AT&T customers), or do we get to pay the subsidized price for the phone (as existing customers)? If we have to pay the full price of the phone, I don't see how this is any better than T-Mobile's plan, which offers infinite talk/text and 2.5gb of high speed data (and infinte low speed after, per line) for 4 lines at a rate of 120$ a month, with unsubsized phones. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@talejln wrote:

Hello all,

I have a question about the new AT&T family plan. Currently, we have two iphones (one on the old infinite data plan) and two dumb phones. We would like to have 4 iphones on the new plan, but there is some fine print I want clarified. If we move from our current plan to this new plan (4 lines for 160$ a month, infinte talk/text + 10gb shared data), do we pay full price for phone (as is specified for new-to-AT&T customers), or do we get to pay the subsidized price for the phone (as existing customers)? If we have to pay the full price of the phone, I don't see how this is any better than T-Mobile's plan, which offers infinite talk/text and 2.5gb of high speed data (and infinte low speed after, per line) for 4 lines at a rate of 120$ a month, with unsubsized phones. Thanks in advance for the responses.

The 4 lines for $160 is based on $100 for the 10GB plan plus $15 per smartphone. To get the $15 per smartphone rate, each smartphone must be out of contract. Any smartphone under contract is $40 per month. In other words, you have a choice for the any new iPhones whether to pay the subsidized cost or full price but if you choose the subsidized cost, your monthly service won't be $160. If you bought four iPhones at the subsidized cost, your monthly service would be $100 + 4 x $40 or $260/month. After the contracts were fulfilled, the monthly rate would drop to $160. 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@talejln wrote:

Hello all,

went through the t-mobile family plan for 4 iphones 2 of which where BYOD (if they qualify for unlock by att) and 2 of which are purchased, price I came up with was 190.00. According to att website there are still 2 year subsidized phones, but that locks you into a 24 month upgrade period

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

There are many things to clarify here.  The shared data costs $100 for 10GB.  If you want subsidized devices, they are $40 each.  If you bring your own devices or use the Next program, your device fees are $15 each. 

So, four subsidized phones on Mobile Share Value plan with 10GB data will be $260.  Four phones brought in/paid for in full upfront on the Mobile Share Value plan with 10GB will be $160.  If you mix and match subsidized phones and your own devices, you will come out somewhere in between the two prices.  If you use the Next plan, you have to add the monthly fee for the device cost, which is separate from the service costs for the device.

The T-Mobile price that you quoted should have been $140 for four lines with 2.5GB data and all devices brought in/paid for in full upfront.  If you use the EIP or JUMP! plans, you will have to add the monthly fee per device.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for clearing that up guys, looks like we will be sticking to what we have now.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

Why was none of this explained before we all made the change??

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Okay, so currently my family has 3 iPhones we payed $200 for. One of which is available for upgrade. The other 2 still have 12 months on the contract. We would like to add a 4th line for our daughter so we would have 4 iPhones. When one of us upgrades to a new iPhone would we have to pay $650 full retail for the phone...or could we pay the $200 price they normally go for? Also, does the family plan include AT&T Next which allows the yearly upgrades? And if so, is that only if you pay $650 for the phones? Sorry its a loaded question but I'm just very confused on the whole thing. Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

With the new shared plans, if you do the 10GB family plan, it includes unlimited call minutes and unlimited texting for all lines. The cost is $100 for the shared data and $15 per phone line, if they are out of contract or were in a contract prior to 2/1/14. If you upgrade a phone line using the normal subsidized upgrade ($199 - $399) depending on model) then the line would increase to $40 per month for the length of the contract (2 years).
If you go with NEXT, you pay monthly for the phone (full price divided by number of months paying for the phone) but the calling plan stays at $15 per month. With NEXT you can upgrade at 12 months if you return the phone in good condition. You can upgrade earlier,but you must pay off the balance of the phone purchase contract.
With the new pricing and upgrades, it can be very confusing.

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Hey blaine_sieck,

First, let me reccomend you reference everything against

www.myattrpc.com

The plans are generally designed around "the more you pay upfront, the less your bill will be"

Although it's not perfect, most of the plans will be like that.

So for example, if you have MSV 6gb

Pay $650 for the phone, the month bill will be $25 for that line

Pay $199 + upgrade fee, the bill will be $40 for that line

Pay just the tax, and the bill will be $25 + $25 = $50 for that line

I'm assuming a few things, but hopefully that gives you a better feel for it.

-Alex

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.