For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
MyPhoneIsSmart's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, November 30th, 2011 10:09 PM

New account questions

I will be adding a new line to our family plan and I have an off contract iPhone 4s, what happens if I:

1. Bring in the 4s and just sign up for the iPhone plan.  Will I be in a 2 year contract so that I will not be able to upgrade for 2 years?

2. I sign up for an Android/plan but switch the device to the 4s/plan.  Do I still get to upgrade after a year?  Also, when you make changes to a plan, is there a charge/fee?

I'm assuming all phones are upgrade eligible after 1 year but iPhones are 2 years.

Appreciate any feedbacks, thank you.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@MyPhoneIsSmart wrote:

I will be adding a new line to our family plan and I have an off contract iPhone 4s, what happens if I:

1. Bring in the 4s and just sign up for the iPhone plan.  Will I be in a 2 year contract so that I will not be able to upgrade for 2 years?

2. I sign up for an Android/plan but switch the device to the 4s/plan.  Do I still get to upgrade after a year?  Also, when you make changes to a plan, is there a charge/fee?

I'm assuming all phones are upgrade eligible after 1 year but iPhones are 2 years.

Appreciate any feedbacks, thank you.

Actually all phones are between 20 and 24 months for upgrade based on various factors.

If the off contract Iphone4S is a GSM phone and you add it, it will not force you into a two year contract, if it is a sprint or verizon iphone it probably will not work since according to what is stated they unlock for international use only

If you get a subsidized android it will lock you into a two year contract even if you switch to the Iphone, again it depends for the upgrade, a secondardy line on a family plan always takes longer to be eligible because of the minimum cost for the service line, the primary line in a family plan always upgrades first.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@MyPhoneIsSmart wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply!

So, let me get this straight.  I have an AT&T iPhone 4s so when I sign up for a new line on our family plan, just bring in the 4s and sign up for the iPhone plan.  This will not lock me in for 2 years so it'll be a month to month?

correct - you amy need to emphasize the fact that it is a month to month and not a 2 year contract

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply!

So, let me get this straight.  I have an AT&T iPhone 4s so when I sign up for a new line on our family plan, just bring in the 4s and sign up for the iPhone plan.  This will not lock me in for 2 years so it'll be a month to month?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.