For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
vogelboy's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, August 14th, 2014 2:15 PM

New Contract - Cancel within 15 days- keep phone

Hello! I am a current att customer with no contract. 

If I sign a new contract, get a new phone, and then transfer service within 15 days, can I pay the ETF and keep the phone? 

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

Whoa there! Let's talk this out! Why are you considering leaving the nations most reliable network??? Please give the community some insight for assistance and better your experience! We can point you to the right direction or Customer Care if we can't solve it!

But you are definitely correct. If you cancel your contract and pay the ETF, you can keep the device. However keep in mind that the device is locked to AT&T until you request an unlock. Let's try to keep you right here though! 🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

10 years ago

@vogelboy wrote:

If I sign a new contract, get a new phone, and then transfer service within 15 days, can I pay the ETF and keep the phone? 

As @Rayosun said, the device would be locked to AT&T; however, it wouldn't be eligible for an unlock because service hadn't been active for 60 days. 

What benefit are you seeing with this route as opposed to just buying an unlocked phone at retail price?

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

@MicCheck - I thought one the contract (ETF) had been fulfilled, the device would eligible for unlock? =P

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Rayosun wrote:
@MicCheck - I thought one the contract (ETF) had been fulfilled, the device would eligible for unlock? =P

@Rayosun - on this page (https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/), under customer specific requirements, is says the "account has been active for 60 days". I took that to mean the OP's plan wouldn't work. I might be mistaken, though. 

Former Employee

• 

107 Messages

10 years ago

Keep in mind also that you can keep your service and pay the etf, completing the contract terms. Then, after the 60 days, you can unlock your device, and still keep your att service!

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@vogelboy wrote:

I believe that if you cancel service within the first 30 days, you have to either return all the equipment, or pay full retail price for it (along with the ETF).  I don't happen to have the terms and conditions detailing account early termination readily available right now, so I can't check that.

I do believe that one of the other replies has already informed you that one of the terms for an unlock is that the device must have been active on your account for at least 60 days (I believe that it is actually longer for pay-as-you-go accounts too), so you would not be able to get it unlocked if you tried what you describe.

I know at first glance, it looks like it's an easy way to get an iPhone below cost, but I guarantee you that AT&T has already thought about that and put provisions into the contracts to close any such loophole you may think you've found.  Also just do a little simpla math:  Contract iPhone cost: $199.99, 1 month service (minimum): $60, ETF $375.  Add all thouse together and you get $634.99, and the full retail cot of an iPhone is $649.99.  So you might save yourself $15 by going that route, but you would then have in iPhone which you can't unlock, so is it worth going through all of that to save $15?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.