Need help understanding your bill?
zLon's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, March 2nd, 2014 2:01 AM

Closed

New AT&T Family Plan 2014

I have to say, I was amazed at AT&T's new family plan.  AT&T has not come out with a good plan in many years. I was thinking the only thing that could make it better was unlimited data. After looking it up online I decided to upgrade my very old plan. 

I called support and this very nice lady told me all the benefits of the plan, everything I had already read.  I was about to switch when she tells me that if I upgrade any of my phones the price per phone goes from $15 to $40. 

Do you have any idea how betrayed I felt at that point.  AT&T has joined the Cable Companies with their false advertising.  If you could just offer a low cost plan without any hidden agendas, I would be happy. I do not plan to jump ship, I do believe AT&T offers a very good service.  I just wanted to express my feeling of betrayal.

Lon

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

It is not false advertising. It may be a little misleading if you don't read the fine print. It CLEARLY states that it is a no contract pricing. As long as your phone line is out of contract, you get the $15 per month line charge. You can upgrade your phone, but you need to pay full, unsubsidized pricing or purchase through the NEXT plan, in which you pay monthly for the cost of the phone. If you want to do a subsidized price phone, then your line goes to $40 per month for 2 years.

Guru

• 

349 Messages

10 years ago

You'll have to sign a contract for those two years, unlike AT&T Next where you can trade in and change phones once every six months. The $40 full price applies only to the lines on contract. You won't have to sign a contract for AT&T Next, you will get monthly installment charges, and you will be responsible for the remaining balance of the phone should you choose to cancel before it's paid off. You can also make a larger payment than your installments to finish paying off your device earlier. 

Explorer

• 

32 Messages

10 years ago

I switched and was told this bill would be the normal pricing of $145.00 plus taxes. Imagine my shock when my bill shows almost 200.00( and not from prorated bc I switched at exact billing). I called and was told that they JUST found out that they were misled and misled the customers and that the First bill will be the 40.00 charge for smartphones instead of 15.00, but next month and months after it goes to the 145.00 plus taxes. They said they were doing this to stop people from signing up for thirty days then canceling? I am confused on that, but o.k. So, the solution was at first, sorry nothing to do for you, suck it up buttercup, and shut up by a rude rep. I asked to speak to a manager who told me to pay all but 50.00 on the bill, next month it will balance itself out, and then all will be normal. I do not know whether to believe that or not bc I'd hate to have my three lines disconnected by lies. Seems the lies run deep with this company now. Has anyone else had this issue or been told what to do about it? Thanks.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

kdfederer,

I agree, always read the fine print.  However, watch the commericals on TV, there is no fine print.  You really have to dig and become very educated about the plans to even understand what they are doing.  You said "It is not false advertising", changing the 'politically correct' lable does not change anything.  A dog is still a dog.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

I must be one of the few who hasn't had any problems understanding this plan nor have had odd charges. 

On Feb. 2nd. when the new Mobile Share Value plan was announced, I signed up. I had three phones on contract which was only three months old. I was on an old 700 minute Family Plan with 2 Gb of data per phone. I was paying about $178 with taxes (FAN discount) a month.

The new MSV plan with 10GB was $100 + $15/phone = $145 a month total.

The bill I received just a few days ago was all correct. My bill was actually $115 due to pro-rated credits but all the other charges were correct. After my two-year contract is up I will either buy phones on the Next program or buy outright (Nexus line).

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

@zLon wrote:

kdfederer,

I agree, always read the fine print.  However, watch the commericals on TV, there is no fine print.  You really have to dig and become very educated about the plans to even understand what they are doing.  You said "It is not false advertising", changing the 'politically correct' lable does not change anything.  A dog is still a dog.

On the TV ads, it specifically states on the last screen, that it applies to NO CONTRACT PLANS.

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

It's as kdfederer says.

If there's any confusion about what that means, of course people are encourage to research it further with calls or website research.

-Alex

Former Employee

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

@julywashere wrote:

You'll have to sign a contract for those two years, unlike AT&T Next where you can trade in and change phones once every six months. The $40 full price applies only to the lines on contract. You won't have to sign a contract for AT&T Next, you will get monthly installment charges, and you will be responsible for the remaining balance of the phone should you choose to cancel before it's paid off. You can also make a larger payment than your installments to finish paying off your device earlier. 

You cannot trade in every 6 months. NEXT 12 allows trade/upgrade at 12 months and NEXT 18 allows it at 18. There is not a 6 month option... Also, you cannot make "larger" payments. You either pay on schedule or pay lump sump to pay off entire balance. You cannot make larger payments per 'se to reduce the balance on the phone...

Former Employee

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

@zLon wrote:

I have to say, I was amazed at AT&T's new family plan.  AT&T has not come out with a good plan in many years. I was thinking the only thing that could make it better was unlimited data. After looking it up online I decided to upgrade my very old plan. 

I called support and this very nice lady told me all the benefits of the plan, everything I had already read.  I was about to switch when she tells me that if I upgrade any of my phones the price per phone goes from $15 to $40. 

Do you have any idea how betrayed I felt at that point.  AT&T has joined the Cable Companies with their false advertising.  If you could just offer a low cost plan without any hidden agendas, I would be happy. I do not plan to jump ship, I do believe AT&T offers a very good service.  I just wanted to express my feeling of betrayal.

Lon

With all due respect to you as a customer, the online explanation of the plan clearly states how you obtain the $15 per line rate and what would cause it to be $40. The rep on the phone reiterated it to you BEFORE she changed your plan. Where is the false advertising or cause for you to feel betrayed?  

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Moved for better exposure
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.