Need help understanding your bill?
jstavene's profile

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Friday, September 16th, 2016 1:45 PM

Closed

My unlimited account was taken away?

Hello I had a issue with my phone and got a different one out of my own pocket (I had a grandfathered contract with unlimited data and wished to keep everything the same).

I was told

"Matthew: Jason, for some reason your data plan was removed. What I am going to do is set you up on a 3gb plan for now. I will then set up a case for our back office to put your unlimited data back on. I wouldn't have the access to add it on myself"

and

"Jason: if I lose my unlimited date I will quit att
Matthew: You will not lose your unlimited data
Matthew: The 3gb plan is just so you can have data until we add it back on
Jason: then perhaps I should just wait until you add it"

the complete chat is below,,,

yet since they could not get the phone to work I offered to take it back,, later when I went back to my old android galaxy s2 I got text simply saying

"sorry we can not modify your account.."

So I called and immediately found I am locked into a 3 gb contract? which I was not supposed to be.. I opened a case, but now find the communication is only one way and I can not present this or speak to those making this decision? I simply am supposed to hope they happen to read the chat?,,,if its in the case? but I am not able to email it or show it?  (Bret from atlanta was very nice and tried to be helpful, I always thought att would be a step up when the buy out happend and I usually can find a human to talk too, until now? Maybe I am not searching properly? Any Help is appreciated!

And please for others,,,explaine that "case" is not a tech support case but a re-evaluation of your contract,,and YES you may lose your unlimited,(had I known this, I never would have allowed this change. or would have asked other questions..I feel lied to and betrayed here,,but hoping this is a misunderstanding?)

I contacted support when I had phone troubles,,, here is the chat below (I am a IT coordinator and I was worried greatly by this so I saved a copy of the chat ,,I am sure it may not matter to some but this is what happened).

AT&T: Hello! Thanks for choosing AT&T Chat.
Jason: hello?
AT&T: Our agents are currently assisting other customers. Please wait and the next available agent will assist you.
Matthew: Good morning! Thank you for taking time out of your day to chat in 🙂 My name is Matthew! Who do I have the pleasure of chatting with?
Jason: Jason *****
Jason: *****
Matthew: Thank you!
Matthew: How may I assist you today?
Jason: my phone seems to not be able to get any mobile data? or internet unless I am near wifi?
Jason: got a new sim card last night
Matthew: When did it stop working?
Jason: when I switched sim card
Matthew: Can you verify the sim card number to your device please?
Jason: sure just one sec
Jason: okay I have the card with numbers here
Jason: iccid *****
Matthew: The imei would be located in the phone by going in your settings and it will be under About phone
Matthew: Or you can dial *#06# on the phone to get the imei
Matthew: Do you know which data plan you were on? I am not showing a data plan currently on your account
Jason: I am unlimited data, grandfathered through a buyout (like over 12 years customer)
Matthew: One moment please
Matthew: Jason, for some reason your data plan was removed. What I am going to do is set you up on a 3gb plan for now. I will then set up a case for our back office to put your unlimited data back on. I wouldn't have the access to add it on myself
Jason: no
Matthew: Our back office will make the change and remove the 3gb plan and add the unlimited
Matthew: The 3gb plan will just be an alternative for now
Jason: no please
Jason: I will do something else
Matthew: If you don't want this, I will just submit the case and they will add on the unlimited plan within 3-5 business days
Jason: I do not want to risk loosing it
Matthew: The grandfathered plan has been removed and I can not add it since it is grandfathered. We can put it back on for you but we have to have our back office do that for you
Jason: if I lose my unlimited date I will quit att
Jason: then perhaps I should just wait until you add it
Matthew: You got it.
Matthew: I will not put the 3gb plan. It will just be 3-5 days until you will have data services on your phone
Matthew: I am here
Jason: thanks, I am scared to lose this, I know its not able to be bought now, thankyou for your help
Matthew: You will not lose it. We have dealt with this on many different occasions. We usually add on a plan just so you can have data for the meantime. The unlimited data will still be added on within 3-5 days. Adding the other plan would not hurt your account.
Matthew: We offer it so you can use your data as you please
Jason: thankyou, then I trust you
Jason: please do go ahead
Matthew: Great!
Matthew: The case number for you unlimited plan to be added back on is *****
Matthew: You will be notified via text when it is complete
Matthew: Can I have you restart your phone please as well?
Jason: okay
Jason: yes it still says I am offline
Matthew: Restart your phone again please. I push some signals your way
Jason: ok
Jason: yes still says I am offline
Matthew: Can you go into your settings and assure your data is enabled in your phone please?
Jason: yes
Matthew: Is this an AT&T certified device or is it unlocked from another carrier?
Jason: att
Jason: samsung galaxy s5 g900a
Jason: android 6 (marshmallow)
Matthew: ok
Matthew: Very odd
Matthew: Are you currently connected to wifi on the device?
Jason: made sure I was not
Jason: perhaps I should just take it in and exchange?
Matthew: Everything seems like it is going good. For some reason your phone is not accepting the lte frequencies
Matthew: I am going to re-register your device with our network
Matthew: Jason, it is not letting me do so because we are not able to get a good connection with your sim card
Matthew: Your sim card is what is rejecting these frequencies
Matthew: The sim may be bad or the sim card reader in your device may be bad
Jason: hmm got the sim last night from local att office
Jason: could we switch it back to my old sim?
Matthew: since the sim card would be disabled we would not be able to activate it
Matthew: You would have to retrieve a new sim. Have the store activate it for you right there. If it does not read it, the sim card reader may be bad in the device
Jason: hmm okay, odd it takes phone calls?
Matthew: It can be rejecting the lte frequencies as I mentioned earlier in the chat. And I am unable to re-register it because of a bad sim card connection
Jason: okay, I will try to exchange it on monday
Jason: thanks

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

I had to edit out some of the numbers so as not identify hardware or my phone number, Jason

I also have spoken to someone who said that the alltel contract I had, was only valid for those devices,,which is interesting as I had gone through palm pre, and blackberry and android,, (12+ years),,, rolling back to a older galaxy note 2 (sg2) its not like a new iphone

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

8 years ago

The same thing happened to me, but I didn't initiate anything. I'm in a business plan with multiple lines that was originally contracted with Cingular. Back then (15 yrs) people had flip phones without even a camera. I however got a Blackberry and this infamous unlimited data. Fast forward to a few months ago… minding my business, paying bills and out of nowhere a ridiculous data charge. Turns out a partner altered his service in a way that removed my data. They will use any petty excuse they can find to eliminate those plans. I just read where people are somehow selling their unlimited plan for 6 digits.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

You can't sell the unlimited plan. It cannot be transferred to another account or another person. The unlimted data is tied to that phone number and that user. If you try to change users names, the unlimited data is lost. the only way to let someone have the unlimited data is to let them use the phone on the plan that it is currently on. 

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

8 years ago

Exactly. People are doing it.

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

8 years ago

How was someone else able to alter my plan?

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

8 years ago

And can you please help me with unlocking my PUK, as seen in my other original post?

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

this is my only, personal account and was mine since before alltell

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

if this goes wrong I may am not sure what options I have? this tech did not explain that I even might lose my unlimited quite the opposite he stated I would have it? am I lyeing or wrong? where I work if a employee is mistaken I am still legally obligated by what they said,, I am sure ATT will step up on this it appears simple, if not I am not sure what I can or will do?

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

Wow, Thanks ATT!

My unlimited data plan was restored I think!

I have not ever heard about people keeping their plans just the horror stories about losing them.

Well it looks like I kept mine! So Thankyou!

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

okay, hate to admit,

but now the techs are unable to reconnect my 4g? I think my blackberry services is off? because my email is 100 percent dead,,, and spent 2 hours in chat when I got a text that if I continue to use a smart phone I will be connected to a data plan,,(at which I pulled my battery and then chatted with tech support as below)...I will contact them again when they are open to try and correct this,, for the record torch 9810 from 2011 and samsun note 2 were 2011 phones, and both support 4g the blackberry is a stranger odder duck I know,,, but here is how I know its 4g also

https://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-OS-Smartphones/is-a-blackberry-9810-a-3G-or-4G-fone/td-p/1563065

The Torch 9810 is and HSPA+ compatible phone which if you go by carrier definition is "4g" 

I will post the latest chat below, I am still a bit shocked, the techs tried to negotiate and haggle about connecting 4g? (do they do this on 3g? 2g? this scares me,,, I mean we are held to letter of contract but the techs can just leave us with a compromised lesser speed as its too hard to configure?   (I think mine is only running 3g now,,where 2 weeks ago I had 4g, and now no email I will try to purge and resend service books again later in case they added and it just hadn't gone through but think this will be another chat).. 

Below is the most recent chat

Chat with AT&T
Michelle: Hello! Thanks for choosing AT&T Chat.
Jason: Hello?
Michelle: Hello, my name is Michelle. I hope you are having a great day! How may I help you today?
Michelle: Hello Jason!
Michelle: I do apologize for the delay 🙂
Jason: I got a strange text message about how I do not have a data contract on my cell?
Michelle: No worries. I am here now 🙂
Jason: 218 688 1830
Michelle: Thank you so much for that information.
Jason: I just had my unlimited data re endabled?
Michelle: Please give me a moment to check this out for you Jason. I will review the message as well.
Michelle: I have verified that there is a weird plan on your account Jason. Please give me a moment to review this as I myself am baffled by this plan.
Jason: I had unlimited data and was grandfatered in a buyout
Jason: from a company called alltel
Jason: then I had a tech promise I would not lose my unlimited data, during testing he flipped it to a 3gb ,,we got it reset
Jason: but now its still not working?
Michelle: Okay, thank you for sharing.
Jason: yes I am confused too
Jason: AT&T: Hello! Thanks for choosing AT&T Chat.
AT&T: Our agents are currently assisting other customers. Please wait and the next available agent will assist you.
Matthew: Good morning! Thank you for taking time out of your day to chat in 🙂 My name is Matthew! Who do I have the pleasure of chatting with?
Jason: Jas1111111111111
Jason: 2181111111111111
Matthew: How may I assist you today?
Jason: my phone seems to not be able to get any mobile data? or internet unless I am near wifi?
Jason: got a new sim card last night
Matthew: When did it stop working?
Jason: when I switched sim card
Matthew: Can you verify the sim card number to your device please?
Jason: sure just one sec
Jason: okay I have the card with numbers here
Jason: iccid 8901411111111111
Matthew: The imei would be located in the phone by going in your settings and it will be under About phone
Matthew: Or you can dial *#06# on the phone to get the imei
Jason: 3534110611111111111111
Matthew: Do you know which data plan you were on? I am not showing a data plan currently on your account
Jason: I am unlimited data, grandfathered through a buyout (like over 12 years customer)
Matthew: One moment please
Matthew: Jason, for some reason your data plan was removed. What I am going to do is set you up on a 3gb plan for now. I will then set up a case for our back office to put your unlimited data back on. I wouldn't have the access to add it on myself
Matthew: Our back office will make the change and remove the 3gb plan and add the unlimited
Matthew: The 3gb plan will just be an alternative for now
Jason: no please
Jason: I will do something else
Matthew: If you don't want this, I will just submit the case and they will add on the unlimited plan within 3-5 business days
Jason: I do not want to risk loosing it
Matthew: The grandfathered plan has been removed and I can not add it since it is grandfathered. We can put it back on for you but we have to have our back office do that for you
Jason: if I lose my unlimited date I will quit att
Jason: then perhaps I should just wait until you add it
Matthew: You got it.
Matthew: I will not put the 3gb plan. It will just be 3-5 days until you will have data services on your phone
Matthew: I am here
Jason: thanks, I am scared to lose this, I know its not able to be bought now, thankyou for your help
Matthew: You will not lose it. We have dealt with this on many different occasions. We usually add on a plan just so you can have data for the meantime. The unlimited data will still be added on within 3-5 days. Adding the other plan would not hurt your account.
Matthew: We offer it so you can use your data as you please
Jason: thankyou, then I trust you
Jason: please do go ahead
Matthew: Great!
Matthew: The case number for you unlimited plan to be added back on is CM20160111111111
Matthew: You will be notified via text when it is complete
Matthew: Can I have you restart your phone please as well?
Jason: yes it still says I am offline
Matthew: Restart your phone again please. I push some signals your way
Jason: ok
Jason: yes still says I am offline
Matthew: Can you go into your settings and assure your data is enabled in your phone please?
Matthew: Is this an AT&T certified device or is it unlocked from another carrier?
Jason: att
Jason: samsung galaxy s5 g900a
Jason: android 6 (marshmallow)
Matthew: ok
Matthew: Very odd
Matthew: Are you currently connected to wifi on the device?
Jason: made sure I was not
Jason: perhaps I should just take it in and exchange?
Matthew: Everything seems like it is going good. For some reason your phone is not accepting the lte frequencies
Matthew: I am going to re-register your device with our network
Matthew: Jason, it is not letting me do so because we are not able to get a good connection with your sim card
Matthew: Your sim card is what is rejecting these frequencies
Matthew: The sim may be bad or the sim card reader in your device may be bad
Jason: hmm got the sim last night from local att office
Jason: could we switch it back to my old sim?
Jason: 89014 105253951111111111
Matthew: since the sim card would be disabled we would not be able to activate it
Matthew: You would have to retrieve a new sim. Have the store activate it for you right there. If it does not read it, the sim card reader may be bad in the device
Jason: hmm okay, odd it takes phone calls?
Matthew: It can be rejecting the lte frequencies as I mentioned earlier in the chat. And I am unable to re-register it because of a bad sim card connection
Jason: okay, I will try to exchange it on monday
Jason: previous chat
Michelle: Thanks!
Jason: week or 2 ago
Michelle: Let me review that for you
Jason: I unplugged my phone when this message came up,,do not want to risk losing unlimited data
Michelle: Yes I understand
Jason: I think they did not set it up back correctly?
Michelle: I will check on that as well for you.
Jason: thankyou
Michelle: You are so welcome.
Jason: if we get disconected my email is jstavene@gmail.com (browser just tried to auto log out
Jason: and my phone is off so email is all I have
Michelle: Sure thing Jason. Thank you for the information.
Michelle: Still working on checking what happened on your data, rest assured that we will have this resolved within this chat.
Jason: Thank You!
Michelle: No problem.
Jason: kinda miserable, no phone,
Michelle: I do understand that Jason. I do have had that experience myself.
Michelle: Please give me 2-3 minutes while I coordinate this with my manager Jason. We may have to contact our archives team for this.
Michelle: Thank you
Michelle: Thank you Jason for patiently waiting. Please give me 2 more minutes while we check on this.
Michelle: Thank you so much
Jason: also I just logged in to keep connection for chat active,,
Jason: and my device on one page says blackberry torch 9810 and on the other page says samsung galaxy note 2
Jason: something off there?
Jason: I still have both
Jason: but can only use one at a time
Michelle: Are you seeing this on the overview page Jason?
Michelle: Thank you for sharing.
Jason: under manage my device
Michelle: Let me check on that. As for the unlimited data request, my Manager is handling it for us.
Jason: okay there was a couple case numbers I think
Jason: one when the tech messed up
Jason: just about was logged out
Michelle: Oh, I am here
Michelle: No worries Jason, as long as this chat window is open, the chat won't end even if you were automatically logged out.
Michelle: I can only see one device on this page Jason, it's the Blackberry Torch 9810.
Jason: thats good then
Michelle: Okay.
Jason: maybe cache in my browser?
Michelle: Could be actually.
Michelle: Let me follow up on how the plan request is going on. One moment please.
Michelle: Thank you for waiting Jason.
Michelle: My manager is still talking to our archives team as of the moment but let me update you on what is going on.
Michelle: Thank you.
Michelle: Our archives team told us that if we were to add the old grandfathered plan to your account, your device will not work since that plan does not support 4G connectivity or LTE.
Jason: actually had it,,
Jason: in blackberry it was called hsdpa
Michelle: The option that they are giving us is to give you either a plan that is currently available on AT&T or put that line back to the device that had the old plan.
Jason: was a originall part
Jason: phone was from 2012
Jason: its 4 g
Jason: the blackberry and samsung had 4g
Jason: in 2011
Jason: I had it in my original contract
Jason: alltel
Michelle: Yes I do understand that the device reflects 4G but the speed is not as fast as as the actual speed dedicated for 4G connectivity. This is not the device actually, it was the plan that does not support it.
Michelle: No worries, we are still working on it for you.
Jason: the plan I had did have it
Jason: though I would like to go back to my android
Jason: held more email
Michelle: Okay, I will relay your message to our archives team.
Jason: thanks, it was working good till week and a half ago
Michelle: I understand.
Michelle: One moment please.
Jason: Sure, I also got a text saying "the changes I requested had been completed,,? yesturday or day before or so,,,
Jason: to confirm my unlimited was back on
Jason: should be documented
Michelle: Actually, a plan was added. It seems that this plan is a grandfathered plan as well. but it seems that it is no longer supported causing the system to not recognize any plans on your account, hence the notification that there are no plans on the account.
Jason: I work in IT I can admin overide I suspect that a tech can do so here too (since a tech took it off)
Michelle: I have that noted for you Jason.
Jason: thank you for all the help
Jason: this has been 2 wweeks for me
Michelle: No problem.
Jason: was thinking of going to sprint or t mobile, but att has been good for 12 years,,with alltel
Michelle: I do understand that this is highly inconvenient for you.
Jason: really would like to stay
Michelle: I appreciate that Jason. Thank you so much!
Michelle: Thanks for holding Jason! Appreciate your patience for me.
Michelle: I already talked with our specialists for you.
Jason: yes appreciate your help
Michelle: Thank you.
Jason: I work late and this is only time I could contact anyone
Michelle: And here's what they do, it shows that the data unlimited plan is still in progress but they fix your data usage now. can you check your phone? turn it off and turn it back on and let see if the data service will work now.
Jason: I am IT coordinator for ww1111111 we work with hanficapped and disabled
Michelle: Oh that's great!
Jason: turning on now
Michelle: thank you so much!
Michelle: Let me know if the data will now work. I'll be here for you.
Jason: I think its working
Michelle: Perfect.
Jason: thankyou
Michelle: I am so glad to hear that 🙂
Jason: sorry to put you through so much trouble
Jason: I am in rural MN, and sometimes this is my only access
Michelle: Rest assured taht your data will work now and the data unlimited will be added back as quickly as possible.
Jason: much appreciated
Michelle: No prob 😃 My pleasure to help you, Jason.
Michelle: You can enjoy enjoy surfing net without any hassle.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.