For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Wowo58's profile

Mentor

• 

75 Messages

Sunday, November 2nd, 2014 6:07 PM

My caller ID keeps showing me calling myself and I am not

I have my land line, all cell phones and uverse through att.  Recently I have been getting calls on my land line from my cell phone and I am sitting in my house with my cell phone in hand not calling anyone.  My cell shows it is not in use when the calls are supposidly coming from my cell. This has happened approximately three times over the past couple of months.  Has anyone else experienced this?  What scam is this?  Or am I now to believe that my home and phone lines are haunted?  lol

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@Wowo58 wrote:

I have my land line, all cell phones and uverse through att.  Recently I have been getting calls on my land line from my cell phone and I am sitting in my house with my cell phone in hand not calling anyone.  My cell shows it is not in use when the calls are supposidly coming from my cell. This has happened approximately three times over the past couple of months.  Has anyone else experienced this?  What scam is this?  Or am I now to believe that my home and phone lines are haunted?  lol

There are many telemarketers that will spoof calle-id in an attempt to get you to answer the phone.  I get several calls a month on my home phone line that the caller-id shows as coming from the very phone that is ringing.  Similarly, I get many calls a month from a scammer who uses the name "Electric Co." as the display name on the random number they use for the caller-ID on the calls theym make.  It is so easy for a company to spoof the consumer caller-id value on outgoing calls that it makes that feature nearly useless.  I haven't tried it, but even most modern cell phones seem to allow you to set the number to display on caller-id when you call someone, so you could possibly even do this yourself now.  In most cases, when teh caller-id is spoofed like that, they are trying to hide who they really are for some reason.  That makes me less liekly to even wan to talk to them, so I just ignore those calls knowing that I'm better off that way.  If someone doesn't want me to know who they really are, I don't want to talk to them anyway.

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

I call myself all the time. I never answer though.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.