Helpful Links

Moving to the US- can I get 3G/4G/LTE data?

Coach

Moving to the US- can I get 3G/4G/LTE data?

I will be moving to the US shortly, and so I have been searching up about phone compatibility. Until I decide on a new phone, I will be using my Lumia 920 (unlocked) that I bought overseas. Below is the relevant information about my Lumia 920. Can I connect to AT&T's LTE/4G/3G?

• LTE network bands: 1, 3, 7, 8, 20
  • WCDMA network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1900 MHz, 2100 MHz
  • GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3

Re: Moving to the US- can I get 3G/4G/LTE data?

TL;DR version: GSM 2G/EDGE - yes, 3G - yes, 4G HSPA+ - yes, 4G LTE - no.

According to AT&T's Nokia Lumia 920 phone, here are it's specifications:
4G-LTE Bands 2, 4, 5 and 17
4G HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul
3G - UMTS 850/900/1900/2100MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz

Since the 4G LTE network bands do not match up, my speculation would be that 4G LTE completely will NOT work, but everything, such as 4G HSPA+, 3G and GSM/GPRS/EDGE will work completely fine.

Source: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/nokia/lumia-920-matte-black.html#fbid=jaOhptULFW_

[edit] I also ran into an article on Reddit that shows a guy from Singapore with an International Lumia 920 and his experience on T-Mobile, and on AT&T.

And from his review, he states that he cannot use LTE. But that he is able to use 4G.

quote from article:

AT&T however uses the 700mhz band for the majority of their LTE. The Lumia 920 is missing this band and as a result I have never been on their LTE network despite trying several different APN settings with the assistance of their tech support. AT&T does support the 2100mhz band which the Lumia 920 has but I suspect they have not done a huge deployment on this band yet as I have yet to connect.

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/1c2usj/my_experience_with_an_international_lumia_920_o...

Software development
Mobile software development
WiFi security
Graphic design
3D animation
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Coach

Re: Moving to the US- can I get 3G/4G/LTE data?

Sorry I didn't see the edit- thanks for the help!

Message 3 of 3
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support