For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Goughy's profile

Explorer

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, May 9th, 2019 9:28 PM

Move one line from Mobile Share

I have a Mobile Share Value 600MB plan + 1GB bonus with two lines, both out of contract. This is currently billed at $25 for the plan and $25 access for each phone (both iPhone 6S+).

I am interested in moving to the Spectrum Mobile plan to try to reduce costs but want to test it out by transferring only one of my AT&T lines to Spectrum.

• What will happen if I move one phone to Spectrum?
  • Will my old Mobile Share Value 600MB plan still hold for the other phone (I assumei I'll lose the 1GB bonus)?
  • Will the price of the plan + phone increase?
  • Will the previous charge for the moved phone be prorated so I get a refund?

If I decide that Spectrum doesn't work for me, what are my options?

• Will I be able to move the phone back to my Mobile Share Value 600MB plan?
  • If so will I be charged an activation fee?
  • If not, can I change my plan to the current AT&T Mobile Share Plus 3GB?
  • If so would there be any activation fees involved?

My current plan is a good deal (no autopay, 1.6GB with rollover, excellent speeds and voice quality etc.) but moving to Spectrum could save me over $700 a year. I am very wary of their poor reputation for customer service and support and the Verizon network has a mixed reputation in my neighborhood.  The one VZW phone I've seen a friend using in my house seemed ok.

Any answers to my questions above will be gratefully received and I hope will help me decide whether to try a move.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@Goughy wrote:

I have a Mobile Share Value 600MB plan + 1GB bonus with two lines, both out of contract. This is currently billed at $25 for the plan and $25 access for each phone (both iPhone 6S+).

I am interested in moving to the Spectrum Mobile plan to try to reduce costs but want to test it out by transferring only one of my AT&T lines to Spectrum.

• What will happen if I move one phone to Spectrum?   You have to unlock it first.  
  • Will my old Mobile Share Value 600MB plan still hold for the other phone (I assumei I'll lose the 1GB bonus)?   It would have no effect.
  • Will the price of the plan + phone increase?   No.  It will go down by $25 plus tax.  
  • Will the previous charge for the moved phone be prorated so I get a refund?   No.  No proration.  

If I decide that Spectrum doesn't work for me, what are my options?

• Will I be able to move the phone back to my Mobile Share Value 600MB plan?  Yes.  
  • If so will I be charged an activation fee?   Probably.   But they might let you off if within 60 days.  
  • If not, can I change my plan to the current AT&T Mobile Share Plus 3GB?    You might be better off changing either way.  
  • If so would there be any activation fees involved?  You asked that 2 questions ago.   If you are asking if there are fees for changing plans, NEVER.  

My current plan is a good deal (no autopay, 1.6GB with rollover, excellent speeds and voice quality etc.) but moving to Spectrum could save me over $700 a year. I am very wary of their poor reputation for customer service and support and the Verizon network has a mixed reputation in my neighborhood.  The one VZW phone I've seen a friend using in my house seemed ok.

Any answers to my questions above will be gratefully received and I hope will help me decide whether to try a move.

Explorer

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for your answers.

• What will happen if I move one phone to Spectrum?   You have to unlock it first.  

Yes. They are both unlocked phones bought directly from Apple.

• Will my old Mobile Share Value 600MB plan still hold for the other phone (I assumei I'll lose the 1GB bonus)?   It would have no effect.
  • Will the price of the plan + phone increase?   No.  It will go down by $25 plus tax.  

That's good. I wondered if by reducing the plan from two phones to one, the plan per-line charge might have increased or they might force me to a current plan. The current Mobile Share Plus plans charge more per line if fewer phones are on the plan.

• Will the previous charge for the moved phone be prorated so I get a refund?   No.  No proration.  

I thought so. But I vaguely remember seeing a post on here somewhere that if a line was canceled then that was prorated but that final charges on closure of the account were never prorated. Of course, I can't find the post now.

• Will I be able to move the phone back to my Mobile Share Value 600MB plan?  Yes.  

Good. I wasn't sure if it was possible to add a line to a grandfathered plan

• If so will I be charged an activation fee?   Probably.   But they might let you off if within 60 days.  
  • If not, can I change my plan to the current AT&T Mobile Share Plus 3GB?    You might be better off changing either way.  

Yes, that might be true. However, even signing up for Autopay and Paperless billing (which I don't have in my current plan), it would still be $5/month more expensive for approx. 1GB more data. Since I've never used more than 1.6GB my current plan suits me well.

• If so would there be any activation fees involved?  You asked that 2 questions ago.   If you are asking if there are fees for changing plans, NEVER.  

Thanks again for your replies. Very helpful.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

Your welcome.  I looked at spectrum.  Unless there were hidden charges, it looks dirt cheap for you.  Hope it works out. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.