Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Move one line from Mobile Share

Highlighted
Explorer

Move one line from Mobile Share

I have a Mobile Share Value 600MB plan + 1GB bonus with two lines, both out of contract. This is currently billed at $25 for the plan and $25 access for each phone (both iPhone 6S+).

I am interested in moving to the Spectrum Mobile plan to try to reduce costs but want to test it out by transferring only one of my AT&T lines to Spectrum.

• What will happen if I move one phone to Spectrum?
  • Will my old Mobile Share Value 600MB plan still hold for the other phone (I assumei I'll lose the 1GB bonus)?
  • Will the price of the plan + phone increase?
  • Will the previous charge for the moved phone be prorated so I get a refund?

If I decide that Spectrum doesn't work for me, what are my options?

• Will I be able to move the phone back to my Mobile Share Value 600MB plan?
  • If so will I be charged an activation fee?
  • If not, can I change my plan to the current AT&T Mobile Share Plus 3GB?
  • If so would there be any activation fees involved?

My current plan is a good deal (no autopay, 1.6GB with rollover, excellent speeds and voice quality etc.) but moving to Spectrum could save me over $700 a year. I am very wary of their poor reputation for customer service and support and the Verizon network has a mixed reputation in my neighborhood.  The one VZW phone I've seen a friend using in my house seemed ok.

Any answers to my questions above will be gratefully received and I hope will help me decide whether to try a move.

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎05-09-2019 6:57 PM

Re: Move one line from Mobile Share

@Goughy wrote:

I have a Mobile Share Value 600MB plan + 1GB bonus with two lines, both out of contract. This is currently billed at $25 for the plan and $25 access for each phone (both iPhone 6S+).

I am interested in moving to the Spectrum Mobile plan to try to reduce costs but want to test it out by transferring only one of my AT&T lines to Spectrum.

• What will happen if I move one phone to Spectrum?   You have to unlock it first.  
  • Will my old Mobile Share Value 600MB plan still hold for the other phone (I assumei I'll lose the 1GB bonus)?   It would have no effect.
  • Will the price of the plan + phone increase?   No.  It will go down by $25 plus tax.  
  • Will the previous charge for the moved phone be prorated so I get a refund?   No.  No proration.  

If I decide that Spectrum doesn't work for me, what are my options?

• Will I be able to move the phone back to my Mobile Share Value 600MB plan?  Yes.  
  • If so will I be charged an activation fee?   Probably.   But they might let you off if within 60 days.  
  • If not, can I change my plan to the current AT&T Mobile Share Plus 3GB?    You might be better off changing either way.  
  • If so would there be any activation fees involved?  You asked that 2 questions ago.   If you are asking if there are fees for changing plans, NEVER.  

My current plan is a good deal (no autopay, 1.6GB with rollover, excellent speeds and voice quality etc.) but moving to Spectrum could save me over $700 a year. I am very wary of their poor reputation for customer service and support and the Verizon network has a mixed reputation in my neighborhood.  The one VZW phone I've seen a friend using in my house seemed ok.

Any answers to my questions above will be gratefully received and I hope will help me decide whether to try a move.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 4
Explorer

Thank you for your answers.

• What will happen if I move one phone to Spectrum?   You have to unlock it first.  

Yes. They are both unlocked phones bought directly from Apple.

• Will my old Mobile Share Value 600MB plan still hold for the other phone (I assumei I'll lose the 1GB bonus)?   It would have no effect.
  • Will the price of the plan + phone increase?   No.  It will go down by $25 plus tax.  

That's good. I wondered if by reducing the plan from two phones to one, the plan per-line charge might have increased or they might force me to a current plan. The current Mobile Share Plus plans charge more per line if fewer phones are on the plan.

• Will the previous charge for the moved phone be prorated so I get a refund?   No.  No proration.  

I thought so. But I vaguely remember seeing a post on here somewhere that if a line was canceled then that was prorated but that final charges on closure of the account were never prorated. Of course, I can't find the post now.

• Will I be able to move the phone back to my Mobile Share Value 600MB plan?  Yes.  

Good. I wasn't sure if it was possible to add a line to a grandfathered plan

• If so will I be charged an activation fee?   Probably.   But they might let you off if within 60 days.  
  • If not, can I change my plan to the current AT&T Mobile Share Plus 3GB?    You might be better off changing either way.  

Yes, that might be true. However, even signing up for Autopay and Paperless billing (which I don't have in my current plan), it would still be $5/month more expensive for approx. 1GB more data. Since I've never used more than 1.6GB my current plan suits me well.

• If so would there be any activation fees involved?  You asked that 2 questions ago.   If you are asking if there are fees for changing plans, NEVER.  

Thanks again for your replies. Very helpful.

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Sage

Your welcome.  I looked at spectrum.  Unless there were hidden charges, it looks dirt cheap for you.  Hope it works out. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support