Need help understanding your bill?
Jen1fer98's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, July 26th, 2018 2:23 PM

Monthly installment fee

Hello. I'm looking for some help, after talking to several Representatives of customer service, and at the store. I did a warranty return back in February of this year. I received the new device and returned the old one. The old one was sent back to me with a small crack in the screen and I was charged a one time fee of $139 for damage. The letter in the Box stated I was being charged that and both phones were mine free and clear once paid. I understand all that but my question is after I have paid that why am I still being charged $7 a month for an installment fee? My understanding was both phones were mine free and clear. The customer service Representatives said the fee they could do nothing about as well as the store. Why am I still paying $7 a month when the phone has been paid off?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@MicCheck I disagree. The installments are still paying for the original phone. The $139 was for the replacement phone. This must have been the warranty folks, insurance would not have sent back the damaged phone. They sent it back and charged because the warranty did not cover the damaged phone.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Are you sure you did a warranty exchange? There is no charge for a warranty exchange plus warranty does not cover physical damage. It sounds like you did an insurance claim, the $139 was your insurance deductible. If it really was warranty, they apparently charged you for the replacement phone since warranty did not cover your damaged phone. Regardless of whether it was insurance or warranty, neither excuses you from having to pay off your installment. The $139 paid for the replacement phone, not the original phone.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Jen1fer98 wrote:

Hello. I'm looking for some help, after talking to several Representatives of customer service, and at the store. I did a warranty return back in February of this year. I received the new device and returned the old one. The old one was sent back to me with a small crack in the screen and I was charged a one time fee of $139 for damage. The letter in the Box stated I was being charged that and both phones were mine free and clear once paid. I understand all that but my question is after I have paid that why am I still being charged $7 a month for an installment fee? My understanding was both phones were mine free and clear. The customer service Representatives said the fee they could do nothing about as well as the store. Why am I still paying $7 a month when the phone has been paid off?

If you had an installment plan, you have to make the payments until the installments are all satisfied. Those are for the "new" phone. The $139 was for the damage on the old phone. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.