Need help understanding your bill?
Terra1215's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, April 26th, 2016 8:04 PM

Mobile data

My online phone bill used to show the numbers texted or those for texts received. Now it shows " mobile data" instead of numbers. I see some numbers, the rest is listed as "mobile data" under text usage.
This just started with my last bill. Has there been a change to text reporting or is there something else that could cause this? Thanks for your help.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

8 years ago

@Terra1215 wrote:
But I was using an iPhone during my previous billing cycles and never saw this "mobile data" charge.

Did you install the iOS update 9.3 during the last couple of billing cycles?  If you installed iOS 9.3, it would have automatically turned Apple's iMessage on if you had it turned off before that.  When iMessage is enabled, the phone will use data to send text messages to other Apple users, and will still default to using SMS for non-Apple users.  If iMessage is turned off, then all messages would send as SMS.

When messges are sent as SMS, you should see the phone number the message was sent to (or received from) on your bill.  If iMessage is used instead of SMS, then you would not see the phone numbers on your bill for text messages sent.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

Are you using an iPhone?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

But I was using an iPhone during my previous billing cycles and never saw this "mobile data" charge.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Sorry I edited that and left out the first line - "yes, I am using an iPhone. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you, Jerry! No, we didn't install iOS 9. But I had heard that iPhone to iPhone texts often used data to transmit. The weird thing is that sometimes
the two iPhones in our family leave a record of the number, and other times they post as "mobile data". Just but just can't figure out why. Guess it really doesn't matter, but it's just puzzling. They started showing up on our last bill and never had
before. We'll just live with it! I'll consider this solved. Thank you!!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Is there a way to see mobile data used in detail. I have a 15 yr old son

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@Blueyes111 wrote:
Is there a way to see mobile data used in detail. I have a 15 yr old son

@Blueyes111

The only accurate, detailed information on the data used, is on the phone itself.    Data use is private.  While the catagories might be available on your bill, they are not accurate. 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

if i stream movies IN MY HOME ON MY PHONE OR IPAD, is that a 'mobile data charge'? some tell me it is...i figured being my home is a hot spot, my router would cover that and not cellular which i have switched OFF AT ALL TIMES...SEEMS I'M BEING CHARGED  FOR SOMETHING I CAN'T IDENTIFY ON THE CHARGE LOG AND VIDEO STREAMING IN MY HOME TAKES PLACE IN THE TIME PERIOD JUST BEFORE THE LOG CHARGES ME FOR SOME UNKNOWN QUANTITY OF MOBILE DATA...HELP PLEASE.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@lucyindisguise wrote:

if i stream movies IN MY HOME ON MY PHONE OR IPAD, is that a 'mobile data charge'?

That depends on if you are using mobile data, or if your home WiFi is working and is being used.  Only your phone has that information.   For example if you only watch a certain application when you are at home and using Wi-Fi but it is showing up as cellular data usage, then you are either using the app on cellular when you don’t realize it, or your Wi-Fi is not functioning properly. 

Apple has a feature called Wi-Fi assist in settings on your iPhone and iPad. If your Wi-Fi at home is insufficient to operate your device, Wi-Fi assist will use cellular data to augment your Wi-Fi. You can turn Wi-Fi assist off in settings. You can also turn any application that you do not want to use cellular data off in settings.  (See photo)

some tell me it is...i figured being my home is a hot spot,    Hotspot? Hotspot is a cellular device. Is this device also using the same data plan? 

my router would cover that and not cellular which i have switched OFF AT ALL TIMES...

SEEMS I'M BEING CHARGED  FOR SOMETHING I CAN'T IDENTIFY ON THE CHARGE LOG AND VIDEO STREAMING IN MY HOME TAKES PLACE IN THE TIME PERIOD JUST BEFORE THE LOG CHARGES ME FOR SOME UNKNOWN QUANTITY OF MOBILE DATA...HELP PLEASE.

How is your home Internet service provided? By a cable company like Comcast or Cox, spectrum etc.?  DSL or Fiber like AT&T provides?   Satellite like Hugh net?   Or a mobile hotspot using your cellular data plan?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.