Need help understanding your bill?
jenmcnitt's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, July 24th, 2014 1:52 AM

Mobile Share Value Pricing on the website is deceiving

I have two phones on my plan. One is a IPhone that started a new 2 year contract at the end of Feb. The second is a basic phone.

When I look at the comparison between my current plan and the value plan, it lists that the value plan would cost $85 for 2gb of data.

When I went through to see the price breakdown, a $15 discount is listed for the smartphone.

When I spoke with a AT&T rep at my local store though, they said my base cost would be $100 and not the $85 listed on the website. I even spoke with an agent via web chat and he also mentioned my price would be in the lower $80s after my work discount.

It seems to me that the website information is very deceiving and I would have ended up paying more than I expected.

Anyone else notice this?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@jenmcnitt wrote:
I have two phones on my plan. One is a IPhone that started a new 2 year contract at the end of Feb. The second is a basic phone.

When I look at the comparison between my current plan and the value plan, it lists that the value plan would cost $85 for 2gb of data.

When I went through to see the price breakdown, a $15 discount is listed for the smartphone.

When I spoke with a AT&T rep at my local store though, they said my base cost would be $100 and not the $85 listed on the website. I even spoke with an agent via web chat and he also mentioned my price would be in the lower $80s after my work discount.

It seems to me that the website information is very deceiving and I would have ended up paying more than I expected.

Anyone else notice this?

When I look at the details from the AT&T Mobile Share site this is what I see:

2GB Shared Data $40/month

1 Basic Phone $20/month

1 Smart Phone $40/month

Sub-Total $100/month

Smart Phone on 2GB-6GB data plan with service contract prior to 03/09/2014 $15 Discount

Sub-Total $85/month

Employee Discount (Only on the $40 Data fee)  $5-8/month

Taxes, Fees, etc.  $5-8/month

Total - About $85/month.

The employee at the store may not have recognized that if your contract was started prior to 03/09/2014 that you can get a $15/month discount but only if you sign up on the 2GB-6GB data packages.  The discount for 2GB-6GB data packages has a later contract eligibility date, so it is often overlooked by many clerks. The 10GB or higher data packages get a $25/month discount but the contract had to have started prior to 02/02/2014.  It sounds to me like the web site is more accurate that the clerk in the store.  Realize if you signed a 2 year service contract after 02/02/14 (for 10GB or higher data) or after 03/09/14 (for 2GB-6GB data) or if you have less than 2GB data, you will not qualify for any of the discounts.  If you do not sign a new service contract, you will still qualify for any discount that your data package offers.

I don't find the site deceiving, but I do tend to find that some of the clerks are confused by the details because there are so many variables in each account.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for the info.

I currently have the FamilyTalk Nation 550 plan with 3GB data.

When I was in the store, they thought that the $15 discount March date was only for those who were already on the Mobile Share plan who then wanted to switch over to a different Mobile Share Value plan.

Where can I find the information on the website about the March 9th date that I can point out to the agents at the store?

Thanks!!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Actually, I think I just found it in the small print:

"Mobile Share Value Pricing: Prices include monthly plan charge and monthly access charge per device. AT&T NextSM installment charges extra. Devices sold separately. For plans 10GB or higher, customers with smartphones on 2-yr agreements prior to 2/2/14 are eligible for the $15/mo. access charge. For plans 2GB to 6GB, customers with smartphones on 2-yr agreements prior to 3/9/14 are eligible for the $25/mo. access charge. This discounted pricing is avail. as long as you keep your phone. If upgrading to a new phone the discount is only avail. via AT&T NextSM or when you bring your own phone or buy a new phone at full price. If you upgrade to a new 2-yr agmt the discount is lost. "

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, the proverbial 'fine print'. In this case, it didn't pop up until you made your decision about your purchase. Fortunately, it comes up before you commit, so you can change your plan. IF you are paying close attention. And as this AT&T we are  talking about, we better pay close attention!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Wonderful. Your own employees can't decifer the plans. I am not so naive to think this is only an AT&T issue. Ever since we have been offered choices (decades), obfuscation has been the order of the day.

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

I admit, I've personally double checked the prices I was quoting. I used some of the public tools like www.myattrpc.com  because it's easy to overlook details. It took some time to make sure I had the new plans well practiced, but I still recommend both employees and customers take advantage of it.

-Alex

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.