Need help understanding your bill?
Acadia's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, February 12th, 2019 11:40 PM

Locked Used AT&T Phone

Hello,

I purchased a used iPhone 5s from eBay that was listed as unlocked. While trying to insert another carrier's SIM I received a message that the phone was indeed locked. I tried to visit the Unlock portal but the website doesn't recognize the IMEI as AT&T even though the carrier settings show AT&T. I believe this is because it is an international version of the iPhone that could be used as either GSM or CDMA based on the starting digits of the IMEI. I was unable to use the Live Chat service since it requires an AT&T account and I tried calling but was unable to do anything without an AT&T account either. Both of those outcomes seem absurd when on the unlock device portal there's an option for whether or not you're an AT&T customer. Is there anyway to actually get this phone unlocked? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

Keep in mind an At&t 5s has no CDMA and will not work on Verizon, Sprint or their MVNOs.  The 5s predates the US Flex activation policy. 

iPhone do not have an unlock code.  They unlock after connecting to Apple server.  While code was probably approved, it may not have been processed with iTunes.  

Try connecting to computer or Wifi to conn3ct with iTunes, doesn’t matter for now that the sim is not accepted, just erase and activate with iTunes and see if unlock completes.  

If it does not.  Call Apple and see if unlock was requested.   If not, back to seller.  

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Acadia  I'd contact the eBay seller, and ask them how they unlocked it, and if they (hopefully) still have the unlock code.

Since it was sold as "unlocked", they're pretty much compelled, through eBay, to help you out, or accept a return of an item "not as described".

If it was an ATT carrier-locked phone, the portal should find it.

Are you sure you're not getting a locked message that indicates reported-theft, vs a carrier-lock?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I have tried everything in my power to unlock the iPhone 5s that I purchased but to my knowledge it was "unlocked". I want to unlock my device but it's so hard to get in touch with at&t. Please someone HELP!

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

You don’t “get in touch with At&t”.  And if you did, they would point you to the portal.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Actually, I did contact AT&T and some nice lady picked up and helped
perfectly. But as soon as she went to tell me how she could help me, it
hung up. Then Noone would answer. I called apple before that as well.
Thank you, Kaitlan

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

And this was/was not resolved because....

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.