Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Lied to about discount by rep

Contributor

Lied to about discount by rep

I went into the AT&T store because since I am a walmart employee i get a discout. The rep told me i would recieve an 80% discount. After she said that i decided with 80% i could afford to get a smart phone instead of the slider that i currently had. after i signed the contract and everything she told me that my bill would be 30 a month after paying the full amount of 128 once. TOday i got an email saying to call and verify employment in order to recieve my discount and the rep over the phone told me my bill was going to be 140 before the discount and that i only got a 22% discount so my bill would be 96 every month. My instore rep lied to me and corperate said they could do nothing about it. There has to be something that can be done about being lied to and tricked into buying a new phone that i cannot afford??

Message 1 of 13
Scholar

Re: Lied to about discount by rep

80% discount? And nothing in that rang out "Hmm...this is too good to be true"?

I do know that active AT&T employees get a 50% discount so I highly doubt that ANY non-AT&T employee discount would even come close to matching what they give their own employees.

I feel for you in that you felt decieved but I would take the 22% and be happy because that is by far one of the best discounts I've heard about.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

And you didn't even verified the discount with an employer? Shame. 

Message 3 of 13
Community Support

Hi there @Stormie.winsor

I’m sorry to hear that there was some misinformation or misunderstanding during your recent upgrade. Have more than 14 days passed since the date of purchase? If within the 14 day period, you can opt to return your device to your nearest AT&T store to cancel all changes.

I hope this helps!

Charise

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 13
Contributor

To try and clarify, certain walmart employees do receive the 80% discount. But this is reserved for management positions. From my understanding, walmart switched from verizon service to at&t and these phones are more or less treated like business lines. The average walmart employee should get the 22% discount. i dont personally think you were perposley decieved, but the rep may have been new and didnt know to look for a different discount code.
Message 5 of 13
Mentor

Well first off I'm very sorry to hear that you were misinformed about what your corporate discount would be for service. Secondly, most corporate discounts on wireless bills with the exception of the cell phone company employee's plans have a maximum of 25 % off of the data portion of the plan. I've never once heard of 80% off. I would do two things at this point. Consult with the manager to advise of how you felt you were misinformed with regard to your corporate discount. Secondly-I would partner with your HR rep to verify what your qualified to get. It will not be 80 % off. If every Walmart employee in the US got 80 % off a bill and were only responsible for 20 % the company would be out of business relatively quickly. WalMart is a major corporation and carrier vendor of most of the major carriers 22% sounds about accurate. That's a very reasonable discount. Hope everything works out.
Message 6 of 13
Contributor

The 80% walmart discount is available but it's only to certain walmart lines through a special application process. I believe it's for the walmart demo phones only so they can have live devices they don't have to pay a ton to keep active for customers to try out. The standard walmart employee discount is only 21% though as far as I remember. The system being used will show the 80% discount as available until they read the notes on the discount. They weren't as far as lying as much as misinformed. Walmart technically DOES have an 80% discount, just very limited availability to who qualifies.

Message 7 of 13
Contributor

same here!!!!!!!!!

My problem is, that the discount  taking forever to go trough! i just got off the phone with coorparate that assured me that the 80% discount that i was told at my store and  the att&t location , could not be true.

Well, aparently i am not the only one.. who was "lied" to. The only reason why i switched to at&t was becuase of this discount. i however, didi not get a phone with them, i went in with my own. So i can get out, But still this is an issue.

Message 8 of 13
ACE - Sage

I think there is some confusion about discounts.  Nobody gets 80%, not even 50%.  The most I have heard is 22% and that is off the plan data only, not the line fee or installment payments. 

Anyone that believes an 80% discount, I have swamp land to sell, cheap.

If your discount is not applied, you may need to go to a store with proof of employment again.  Keep at them.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 13
Tutor

Lizdance, The 80 percent off data does exist. Or it did until this past month. The only reason I know is because I was scammed into adding digital life after the salesman said I would receive this "promotional discount" as long as I did not change my account. This bill was 60$ more and I noticed the discount now says 22 percent. When I called ATT they said they had never heard of such a promotion and that it was actually the wal-Mart discount applied to my account. I hope this guys commission was worth it because after I start a fraud case with ATT he will probably be out of a job.
Message 10 of 13
Contributor

I am a member of Walmart management. The 80% discount applies to the data plan and the service plan connected to the phone we use for business purposes. It's a business sustainable initiative. We choose to use our personal phone as a business phone and Walmart agrees to work with service providers to deeply discount our bill. This allows lower cost for cell phones as well as the applications on the phones that allow store management to use the phones in place of product inventory scanners. It's not a flat 80% off all costs unilaterally and it doesn't apply to all lines on a family plan - only the services directly applicable to the line connected to the member of qualified Walmart management (store or home office).
Message 11 of 13
Professor

It's also worth noting that like @jglove said, the 80% is a special thing between Walmart for their corporate lines or lines being used for business, not for personal employee lines.

When employees are looking it up in the FAN lookup tool, they're probably seeing that one in there, as a lot of discounts appear in there. Yes, they should've known it wasn't accurate, but I don't think they purposefully lied to anyone.

The largest consumer FANs (minus the AT&T employee one), are more in the range of 20-30%, and then (minus the AT&T employee one, which applies to line access fees, and certain features as well), they usually only apply to the base of the FamilyTalk or Mobile Share plans. Some FAN discounts, do also waive activation and upgrade fees in certain instances.

Justin

If this solved your problem, please consider accepting this as the solution so that it can help others in the future. Please remember that this is a customer forum and all of the answers we provide are through our own research, experience, or personal knowledge.

Justin

If this solved your problem, please consider accepting this as the solution so that it can help others in the future. Please remember that this is a customer forum and all of the answers we provide are through our own research, experience, or personal knowledge.
Message 12 of 13
Employee

Actually your wrong, I am a rep there and Walmart managers get 80% but this goes through corporate. Att employees get 50%
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support